REVIEW: "The Best of Verity Stob", Verity Stob

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2006
      BKBSVRST.RVW 20060528

      "The Best of Verity Stob", Verity Stob, 2005, 1-59059-442-8, U$24.99
      %A Verity Stob
      %C 2560 Ninth Street, Suite 219, Berkeley, CA 94710
      %I Apress
      %O U$24.99 510-549-5930 fax 510-549-5939 info@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590594428/robsladesinterne
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590594428/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience a Tech 1 Writing 3 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 316 p.
      %T "The Best of Verity Stob"

      CCXLVI. Verity Stob of Briton

      I MET a writer from an antique time
      Who said:-Two vast and readerless shelves of mags
      Stand in the Archives. Near them, thick with lime,
      Half ripped, a wrinkled visage lies, whose crags
      And curling lip and sneer at nerdy grime
      Tell that its photog well those passions read
      Which yet survive, stamp'd on this lifeless page,
      The hand that marketed and tech edge that bled.
      And from geeks unseen these words appear:
      "We search for Verity, she of the rage:
      Read on her words, ye mighty, and take care!"
      An ancient Sinclair remains: round the decay
      Of that minuscule wreck, boundless and bare,
      The dusty, silent stacks stretch far away

      If you remember that far back, these columns are quite enjoyable.
      It's fun to recall some of the ancient history of computerdom (which
      means anything more than five years ago).

      The essays are insightful and show, in addition to the humour, a keen
      analysis of technical developments, culture, and the management of the
      undisciplined rabble of nerds without whom most IT shops would fall
      into ruin. Some may not fully understand the British references, but
      these are not frequent enough to impede comprehension and enjoyment of
      the material itself. (For Americans, there is a glossary of terms
      listed at the end.)

      The historical allusions, aside from the technology itself,
      concentrate on programming, but there is plenty of fun for those who
      had to deal with technical support, system administration, and
      technical conferences in the olden days.

      (Apologies to P. B. Shelley, particularly since I'm quite partial to

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2006 BKBSVRST.RVW 20060528

      Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
      - Groucho Marx
      Dictionary of Information Security www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150