REVIEW (sorta): "Dictionary of Information Security", Robert Slade

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2006
      BKDCINSC.RVW 20060528

      "Dictionary of Information Security", Robert Slade, 2006,
      1-59749-115-2, U$29.95/C$38.95
      %A Robert Slade rslade@...
      %C 800 Hingham Street, Rockland, MA 02370
      %I Syngress
      %O U$29.95/C$38.95 781-681-5151 fax: 781-681-3585 amy@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1597491152/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1597491152/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1597491152/robsladesin03-20
      %O http://www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
      %O Audience n+ Tech 3 Writing 3 (well, I would, wouldn't I?)
      %P 256 p.
      %T "Dictionary of Information Security"

      Their our lots of wurds in this book. Sum of the werds are big.
      They're are no pitchers in this book. If ewe like big wirds and no
      pitchers you will like this book.

      The courier driver showed up at noon, today, with the box of author
      copies. So I can, with assurance (p. 13) state that the volume now
      actually exists in hardcopy. After four years of maintaining it
      mostly as a resource for those studying for the CISSP exam, it's now
      going to be available in bookstores for everyone.

      It's been interesting, working with Syngress. Having worked with more
      traditional publishers, I was rather expecting the usual 2-3 months of
      contract negotiations, 2-3 months to get out the final manuscript (the
      book had, after all, already been basically finished: I'd been using
      it on the Website for some time), and the usual 4-6 months in copy
      editing and galley proofing. The contract negotiations took about a
      month and a half. I got the final contract May 18th. They wanted the
      manuscript on the 26th. I got the galley proofs on June 1st, and had
      them back to Syngress on June 4th. (Then there seems to have been
      some kind of hiccup with the printer: it's been "due" every day now
      for about three weeks.)

      So now, I suppose, I'd better get a move on. I've already replaced
      the glossary page (http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/secgloss.htm) with an
      errata page, and I've got about 60 entries that need to be added or
      corrected. So I hope you'll all actually buy the book, and Syngress
      will be moved to putting out a new edition fairly soon. (And
      regularly, after that.)

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2006 BKDCINSC.RVW 20060528

      Think all you speak, but speak not all you think. Thoughts are
      your own; your words are so no more. - Patrick Delany
      Dictionary Information Security www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
      http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm