service@amazon.com

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2006
      I review books.

      I submit these book reviews to various mailing lists, where the topic is appropriate.

      I also run mailing lists (on Yahoo, Topica, and now Google) that carry the full set
      of reviews.

      Somebody keeps on subscribing "service@..." to my lists.

      service@... bounces any traffic to it. It tells you to contact Amazon's
      help Web site.

      As anyone who has tried it knows, Amazon's help pages are massively unhelpful.
      (They may be of some marginal assistance if you have placed an order that hasn't
      come: not ever having purchased anything through Amazon I wouldn't know.)

      I keep removing and banning service@... from my lists. It keeps
      coming back.

      I have tried contacting Amazon.com. It is impossible to get past the first level of
      what is laughingly known as "support." Their position is that Amazon doesn't do
      that. (It is not entirely clear that they have a firm idea of what "that" is.)

      It is possible that someone has been spamming out messages using
      service@... as a return address. If that were the case, why wouldn't the
      address show up on my (many) other mailing lists that are not directly related to
      books?

      It is possible that someone has been trying to set up Amazon by trying to
      subscribe this address to my book review list. However, if that person were not
      associated with Amazon, how would they obtain the response that Yahoo (and
      other mailing list systems) sends back to confirm that the address is good?

      It is possible that someone at Amazon, buried deeply enough in the IT area that
      they have access to the service@... account, is so technically
      incompetent that they neither know nor care how annoying this is. At the
      moment, that seems the most likely option ...

      "Dictionary of Information Security" Syngress (forthcoming) 1597491152
      ... the reading of good books is like a conversation with the
      best men of past centuries. - Rene Descartes
      http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm