REVIEW: "Havoc", R. J. Pineiro

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2006
      BKHAVOC.RVW 20060108

      "Havoc", R. J. Pineiro, 2005, 0-765-30833-9, U$27.95/C$37.95
      %A R. J. Pineiro author@...
      %C 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010
      %I Tor Books/Tom Doherty Assoc.
      %O U$27.95/C$37.95 pnh@... www.tor.com
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765308339/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765308339/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0765308339/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n- Tech 0 Writing 1 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 400 p.
      %T "Havoc"

      "And Caesar's spirit, ranging for revenge,
      With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
      Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
      Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war"
      - "Julius Caesar," Act III, Scene 1

      Okay, maybe it's a little unfair to compare Pineiro to the Bard, but
      this novel simply comes nowhere near that more famous reference.

      In some of his earlier novels, like "Conspiracy.com" (cf.
      BKCNSPRC.RVW), Pineiro shows that he can, occasionally, get some of
      the technology right. His later stuff, like "CyberTerror" (cf.
      BKCBRTER.RVW) demonstrates either complete ignorance of computer and
      network operations, or a total willingness to present any kind of
      nonsense as long as it might look good when transferred to a movie
      screen. (I'm rather surprised Hollywood hasn't discovered the author:
      his books could be turned into movies that could take their place
      alongside such bastions of fictional tech accuracy as "The Net" and
      "Tekwar" [cf. VDTEKWAR.RVW].) So it looks like Pineiro is getting
      worse as he goes along.

      To the errors in "CyberTerror" we can only add that the author doesn't
      know anything about routing protocols. Basically we have the same
      ignorance of programming and other technical niceties that we had
      before.

      However, Pineiro has moved into a whole new field of nescience:
      physics. Right off the bat, we are introduced to Kevhel, an alloy of
      Kevlar and helium, making it incredibly strong but light. This would
      be a terrific boon for mankind, were it not for some niggling issues.
      Such as the fact that an alloy is basically a solution of two metals.
      Kevlar isn't a metal: it is made of nylon, and derives its strength
      from the weave used. Oh, and helium, unfortunately, isn't a metal
      either: it's an inert gas.

      Back in the networking field, sort of, we have a bunch of devices,
      spread over an area probably a mile in extent, that are able to
      distribute orders of battle in twenty nanoseconds. Leaving aside how
      long it would take to create, format, actually transmit and receive
      such orders, and acknowledge the same in a hostile environment, we
      have another slight problem. Thanks to Grace Hopper, we are all well
      aware that a nanosecond is the time that it takes light to move about
      a foot. So I guess the battle takes place in a much smaller area than
      we thought.

      Speaking of nano, this novel is supposed to be about nanotechnology.
      Unfortunately, the devices presented really aren't nanotech as much as
      microtech: they are small, but still normal, machines. They all seem
      to be powered by nuclear fusion, which is interesting given our
      inability to get a serious fusion reaction going without first seeding
      it with a fission reaction requiring, at a minimum, a few kilograms of
      plutonium.

      Still, Pineiro, for all his stilted dialogue and unrealistic
      characters, does seem to be getting the hang of the thriller, and we
      can all look forward to that special effects movie contract.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2006 BKHAVOC.RVW 20060108

      "Dictionary of Information Security" Syngress (forthcoming) 1597491152
      Open source should be about giving away things voluntarily. When
      you force someone to give you something, it's no longer giving,
      it's stealing. Persons of leisurely moral growth often confuse
      giving with taking. - Larry Wall
      http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm