REVIEW: "Mapping Security", Tom Patterson

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2005
      BKMAPSEC.RVW 20050805

      "Mapping Security", Tom Patterson, 2005, 0-321-30452-7,
      U$34.99/C$49.99
      %A Tom Patterson www.tpatterson.net Online@...
      %C P.O. Box 520, 26 Prince Andrew Place, Don Mills, Ontario M3C 2T8
      %I Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
      %O U$34.99/C$49.99 800-822-6339 Fax: 617-944-7273 bkexpress@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321304527/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321304527/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321304527/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n- Tech 1 Writing 1 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 405 p.
      %T "Mapping Security"

      A sort of preface seems to indicate that this book lists countries and
      assigns them a security score.

      Chapter one repeats this same material.

      Part one gives general security advice. Chapter two reiterates the
      point that business is increasingly global in nature, and that
      information technology has enabled activities that can create problems
      for business. We shouldn't waste time with risk assessment, says
      chapter three. What we should do sounds an awful lot like risk
      assessment. (We are also told that "things are different elsewhere,"
      as in, other countries.) Chapter four seems to start out by promoting
      traditional cost/benefit analysis (with regard to "return on security
      investment"), but quickly diverts into a list of security technologies
      that the author considers to be worth it (presumably regardless of
      your business or situation). The idea that certain security
      technologies can enhance business and profits is promoted in chapter
      five, which also lists some examples to support the concept. Chapter
      six appears to advocate developing an ongoing awareness or facility
      for determining the existence of security threats and attacks. This
      idea is extended, in chapter seven, and there is also a reminder that
      threats, and protections, change rapidly.

      Part two is the list of security indices by country and region.
      Chapter eight reiterates the notion that things are different
      elsewhere, and also finally (somewhat tersely) delineates the Mapping
      Security Index (MSI). Europe is covered in chapter nine, first in
      general and then by country. Countries are not given equal space, and
      the assignment does not seem to be on any particular basis. Much less
      space is devoted to the Middle East and Africa, in chapter ten.
      (Africa's forty-some countries are represented by South Africa, which
      is hardly representative. I'd rather hoped to check out Nigeria, but
      it isn't there.) Likewise missing are several nations from the
      Americas (Central America is one entity), in chapter eleven, possibly
      due to the space dedicated to explaining the United States (presumably
      to those from the United States). Chapter twelve discusses the Asia
      Pacific region. (Interestingly, although China gets a significant
      amount of space, no mention is made of the unique nature of some
      blackhat groups in China, the "red guests.") A conventional essay on
      outsourcing is presented in chapter thirteen.

      Part three collects some other, related, topics. Chapter fourteen is
      a brief introduction to this section. Laws are different elsewhere,
      we are informed in chapter fifteen. Distinctive uses are made of
      technology, in other countries, although chapter sixteen could have
      used more, and more effective, examples to point that out.

      The chapters in the book are difficult to follow, in terms of a
      central theme or thread. The text seems to jump from topic to topic,
      possibly under some commonality apparent to the author, but not
      explained to the reader. I'm not really clear on the audience for
      whom this book was supposed to be written, nor anyone to whom I could
      recommend it.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2005 BKMAPSEC.RVW 20050805

      Vikings? There ain't no vikings here. Just us honest farmers.
      The town was burning, the villagers were dead. They didn't need
      those sheep anyway. That's our story and we're sticking to it.
      - Dan Sorenson