REVIEW: "Cyber Spying", Ted Fair/Michael Nordfelt/Sandra Ring

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2005
      BKCBRSPY.RVW 20050614

      "Cyber Spying", Ted Fair/Michael Nordfelt/Sandra Ring, 2005,
      1-931836-41-8, U$39.95/C$57.95
      %A Ted Fair
      %A Michael Nordfelt
      %A Sandra Ring
      %C 800 Hingham Street, Rockland, MA 02370
      %I Syngress Media, Inc.
      %O U$39.95/C$57.95 781-681-5151 fax: 781-681-3585 www.syngress.com
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931836418/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931836418/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931836418/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n- Tech 1 Writing 1 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 439 p.
      %T "Cyber Spying"

      Chapter one seems to be a search for grounds to justify spying on your
      family. The reasons seem to boil down to a) everybody likes to snoop,
      b) you should spy on your spouse (because everybody likes sex), and c)
      it's always OK to spy on your kids (you're just looking out for them,
      after all). (Somehow it is easy to believe that the authors all met
      at the CIA.) We are supposed to learn about the basics of spying, in
      chapter two, but instead get vague advice on planning, plus
      hypothetical stories. A kind of terse review of the parts of
      computers is in chapter three: chapter four provides slightly more
      usable information about network operations. Chapter five starts out
      with an extremely simplistic set of instructions for navigating around
      your computer (if I am going to get spied on, maybe I *do* want it to
      be these guys), moves into a list of recommended utilities, and also
      discusses some issues that don't seem to fit the level of the other
      material at all. (If you don't know how to run Windows Explorer, how
      are you going to know the difference between an Ethernet hub and an
      Ethernet switch?) Areas to obtain data from a computer are listed in
      chapter six. Oddly, there is much "low hanging fruit" that is not
      mentioned, while a number of the items suggested can be defeated quite
      easily. Web browsing, in chapter seven, repeats a great deal of
      material from five and six. Email, in chapter eight, also reiterates
      a lot of earlier content. Instant messaging and clients are discussed
      in chapter nine. Chapter ten reviews other spying techniques and more
      advanced computer technologies. Some elementary means to make spying
      more difficult are mentioned in chapter twelve.

      Once again, the lack of a stated audience makes it very difficult to
      assess whether this book does its job. It certainly isn't for
      professionals: neither security nor law enforcement people will get
      much out of this work. For people who want to spy on their spouses or
      significant others, well, I have no sympathy if they waste their money
      that way. If parents are planning to spy on children, I would suggest
      that there are other, better, means of protecting your kids online,
      and if you really need to know the content that is provided in this
      text, then your kids are probably going to be able to get around you
      anyway.

      For the tin-foil hat crowd, you may be comforted to find that CIA
      staff can't do any better than this. (On the other hand, maybe it's a
      conspiracy to make us all *think* that the CIA is that dumb ...)

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2005 BKCBRSPY.RVW 20050614

      A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to
      its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes