REVIEW: "Guide to Disaster Recovery", Michael Erbschloe

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2005
      BKGDDIRE.RVW 20041220

      "Guide to Disaster Recovery", Michael Erbschloe, 2003, 0-619-13122-5,
      U$70.95/C$86.75
      %A Michael Erbschloe
      %C 25 Thomson Place, Boston, MA 02210
      %I Thomson Learning Inc.
      %O U$70.95/C$86.75 www.course.com reply@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0619131225/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0619131225/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0619131225/robsladesin03-20
      %O tl i rl 2 tc 1 ta 2 tv 1 wq 2
      %P 367 p.
      %T "Guide to Disaster Recovery"

      Chapter one suggests that disaster recovery plans are important, and
      outlines a minimal structure, supported by some trivial illustrations.
      The list of personnel and roles for disaster planning is expanded in
      chapter two. Random ideas on risk assessment, as well as twenty-five
      pages of forms, are listed in chapter three. Chapter four raises
      various concerns to be addressed in priorizing recovery--and
      reproduces a number of additional forms. There are a number of
      points, in chapter five, that would be worth considering when
      preparing a disaster plan, but not all are essential, and there is not
      a clear plan to follow in order to avoid leaving gaps in your
      procedures. Communications with outside entities, primarily
      suppliers, is discussed in chapter six. Chapter seven is a melange of
      miscellaneous topics roughly related to incident response and
      cyberattacks. Various special situations, products, and businesses
      are touched on in chapter eight. The implementation factors
      considered in chapter nine are mostly to do with training. Chapter
      ten's review of testing gives us more forms and tables. Diverse
      factors that should be contemplated in regard to maintenance are
      raised in chapter eleven. Chapter twelve finishes off with assorted
      stories, that might possibly be related to the idea of followup.

      The core of the material presented in this book is quite limited, and
      could have been stated in a much smaller work. The illustrations and
      charts serve primarily to pad out the length of the work, and the
      excessive verbiage is probably for the same purpose. In comparison to
      a volume such as Toigo's "Disaster Recovery Planning" (cf.
      BKDIREPL.RVW), this text is bloated and of only limited utility.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2004 BKGDDIRE.RVW 20041220

      I walked until midnight in the storm, then I went home and took a
      sauna for an hour and a half. It was all clear. I listened to my
      heart and saw if there were any signs of my destiny in the sky,
      and there were none - there were just snowflakes.
      - Pierre Elliott Trudeau recounting a `walk in the
      snow' at a news conference announcing his resignation, Feb. 29, 1984