REVIEW: "Managing Security with Snort and IDS Tools", Kerry Cox/Christopher Gerg

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2005
      BKMSWSIT.RVW 20041106

      "Managing Security with Snort and IDS Tools", Kerry Cox/Christopher
      Gerg, 2004, 0-596-00661-6, U$39.95/C$57.95
      %A Kerry Cox
      %A Christopher Gerg
      %C 103 Morris Street, Suite A, Sebastopol, CA 95472
      %I O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
      %O U$39.95/C$57.95 800-998-9938 fax: 707-829-0104 nuts@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596006616/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596006616/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596006616/robsladesin03-20
      %O tl a rl 2 tc 3 ta 3 tv 2 wq 2
      %P 269 p.
      %T "Managing Security with Snort and IDS Tools"

      Chapter one explains what Snort, and network intrusion detection, is.
      The basics of network traffic sniffing and analysis, and the operation
      of tcpdump and ethereal, are described in chapter two. Installation,
      options, and the basic operation of Snort are outlined in chapter
      three. Chapter four details the different types of blackhat and
      intruder activity in terms of network intrusion. Chapter five details
      the confguration file and choices. How, and where, to use and set up
      Snort is the topic of chapter six. Snort rules are explained in
      chapter seven, which also outlines the system for creating them.
      Snort can also be used for intrusion prevention, as chapter eight
      points out. Tuning sensitivity, and establishing thresholds and
      clipping levels, is discussed in chapter nine. Chapter ten reviews
      the use of ACID (Analysis Console for Intrusion Detection) as a
      management console. An alternative program is SnortCenter, described
      in chapter eleven, and more options are listed in twelve. Chapter
      thirteen notes possibilities for the use of Snort in high bandwidth
      situations.

      For those interested in the standard intrusion detection program, here
      is a set of useful explanations for its use and operation.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2004 BKMSWSIT.RVW 20041106

      We are always too busy for our children; we never give them the
      time or interest they deserve. We lavish gifts upon them; but the
      most precious gift, our personal association, which means so much
      to them, we give grudgingly. - Mark Twain