REVIEW: "Software Forensics", Robert M. Slade

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2004
      BKSFWRFR.RVW 20040706

      "Software Forensics", Robert M. Slade, 2004, 0-07-142804-6,
      U$39.95/C$3.95/UK#29.99
      %A Robert M. Slade rslade@... rslade@...
      %C 300 Water Street, Whitby, Ontario L1N 9B6
      %I McGraw-Hill Ryerson/Osborne
      %O U$39.95/C$3.95/UK#29.99 800-565-5758 fax: 905-430-5020
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071428046/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071428046/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071428046/robsladesin03-20
      %P 215 p.
      %T "Software Forensics"

      As long as I'm reviewing books about which I can't be objective, I
      might as well review my own.

      This book is about software forensics. Nobody seems to know what that
      is.

      "Oh, you look for child porno and drug dealer addresses on seized
      computers, right?" Umm, no. That's computer forensics which,
      although it should be broader, has become limited to the basic data
      recovery aspect of the wider field of digital forensics.

      Software forensics delves into what evidence you can glean from
      software itself. This is useful in malware and virus research (where
      it has long been known as forensic programming), as well as in cases
      involving intellectual property and plagiarism. The study and tools
      utilized in software forensics can assist with determining the intent
      and authorship of a piece of software. At times it can even help with
      tasks such as recovering source code with legacy programs, or porting
      to new systems.

      In the book there is an overview of software forensics itself. One
      chapter looks at blackhat sociology and culture, since those
      characteristics can be evident in the programming style. There is
      material on the various tools, and properties of malicious software.
      Presentation of this type of evidence in court is difficult, so
      chapter five reviews expert witness restrictions and other legal
      issues. Content is included on programming cultures, stylistic
      analysis, and authorship analysis.

      I can say, without any bias whatever, that this is the finest work on
      this topic available today. I can say that, because it's the *only*
      book that is dedicated to the subject.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2004 BKSFWRFR.RVW 20040706

      If we poison our children with hatred
      Then the hard life is all that they'll know
      - `It's a Hard Life Wherever You Go', Jackson/Finch