REVIEW: "Official (ISC)^2 Guide to the CISSP Exam", Susan Hansche/John Berti/Chris Hare

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2004
      BKOIGTCE.RVW 20040618

      "Official (ISC)^2 Guide to the CISSP Exam", Susan Hansche/John
      Berti/Chris Hare, 2004, 0-8493-1707-X, U$69.95/C$101.50
      %A Susan Hansche susan.hansche@...
      %A John Berti jberti@...
      %A Chris Hare chare@..., chare@...
      %C 920 Mercer Street, Windsor, ON N9A 7C2
      %D 2004
      %G 0-8493-1707-X
      %I Auerbach Publications
      %O U$69.95/C$101.50 800-950-1216 orders@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/084931707X/robsladesinterne
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/084931707X/robsladesin03-20
      %P 910 p. + CD-ROM
      %T "Official (ISC)^2 Guide to the CISSP Exam"

      Once again I have to state a bias in regard to this book. I've known
      about this book since its inception, I've known and advised the
      authors, I provided bits of the material, and even contributed one
      appendix. (The annotated bibliography and references--surprise,

      I was asked to review the chapters while the book was in production.
      The reason was, of course, that I had reviewed all the other CISSP
      (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) guides.
      Specifically, the intent was to ensure that this manual, prepared and
      supported by (ISC)^2 (International Information Systems Security
      Certification Consortium) was "head and shoulders" above all the other
      published works. This volume is not perfect, by any means, but it is
      the best of the current bunch.

      Taking material from one source is copying, taking material from two
      sources is plagiarism, and taking material from many sources is
      research. This volume has not only research but direct input from a
      great many sources. Some are mentioned in the acknowledgements, a
      number of others are to be found on the title page, since sections of
      major articles from the venerable "Information Security Management
      Handbook" (cf. BKINSCMH.RVW) were included or used as the basis for
      parts of the guide. Even this doesn't exhaust the contributions,
      since much of the work is informed by the material in the (ISC)^2 CBK
      (Common Body of Knowledge) Review Seminar, and over a hundred
      individuals have had the chance to augment that content. The result
      is a breadth and currency of information that exceeds any other guide
      on the market.

      Sample questions and exams are eagerly sought by candidates for the
      CISSP exam. This guide has a significant advantage in this regard:
      not only do a number of the contributors produce questions for the
      exam itself (therefore being more than passingly familiar with the
      style and level of difficulty required), but the CISSP exam committee
      was also approached for advice and input. No source is able to
      provide "actual" CISSP exam questions, but the examples provided in
      this volume are very close in form, mix, degree of difficulty, and

      The book is not without its faults. The sheer volume of the
      contributors ensured that topics were covered multiple times, and not
      all duplicated areas have been amalgamated. In addition, the variety
      of writing styles can make the text disjointed in places, as it moves
      from section to section and subject to subject. These factors can
      make the work difficult and demanding to read and follow.

      The CISSP exam, as the security field itself, is a changing target,
      and no book can expect to provide the "best" coverage of the topic
      indefinitely. As well, security is an immense discipline, and touches
      on an inordinate number of other areas. This work, however, has come
      closest to spanning the range of subject matter necessary to challenge
      the CISSP exam, and is currently the best of the guides.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2004 BKOIGTCE.RVW 20040618

      Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person
      to die. - Malachy McCourt