REVIEW: "Best Practices in Internet Commerce Security", Charles Cresson Wood

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2004
      BKBPIICS.RVW 20031205

      "Best Practices in Internet Commerce Security", Charles Cresson Wood,
      2001, 1881585050, U$295.00
      %A Charles Cresson Wood
      %C 1800-1233 West Loop South, Houston Texas 77027
      %D 2001
      %G 1881585050
      %I PentaSafe
      %O U$295.00 800-829-9955 infopolicy@... www.pentasafe.com
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1881585050/robsladesinterne
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1881585050/robsladesin03-20
      %P 92 p.
      %T "Best Practices in Internet Commerce Security"

      The management summary (also known as chapter one) states that this
      book outlines the major controls necessary to perform business
      functions over the Internet. Chapter two, titularly asking "what's
      new about Internet commerce," simply lists potential problems. The
      heart of the book is chapter three, a listing of 240 suggestions most
      of which are in the form of "this practice prevents that risk." Not
      all are either terribly clear or useful, such as the statement that
      "payment protocol with integrated digital certificates prevents
      fraud," which adequately describes making a purchase using a credit
      card over an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) link to a Website, a practice
      that would prevent neither merchant fraud, nor fraud involving stolen
      credit cards. (I assume that the author was thinking of the SET
      [Secure Electronic Transactions] protocol, but the wording is not
      specific.) The bulk of the recommendations are reasonable in terms of
      improving security, but the explanations are extremely limited.

      As a quick once over lightly introduction to the requirements for
      online commerce the book may have its uses, albeit in a very
      restricted compass.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2003 BKBPIICS.RVW 20031205

      Justify my text? I'm sorry but it has no excuse.