REVIEW: "Internet Security Dictionary", Vir V. Phoha

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2002
      BKINSCDC.RVW 20020824

      "Internet Security Dictionary", Vir V. Phoha, 2002, 0-387-95261-6,
      U$39.95
      %A Vir V. Phoha
      %C 175 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10010
      %I Springer-Verlag
      %O U$39.95 212-460-1500 800-777-4643 mspano@...
      %P 259 p. + CD-ROM
      %T "Internet Security Dictionary"

      There are a few decent computer dictionaries extent, and at least a
      half dozen really good communications dictionaries among the many that
      have been published. However, until this, there was no security
      dictionary available in printed form, and there has been a need for
      one. (In fact, I've been working on one for a while, so, boring as it
      may be, I have to declare yet another possible conflict of interest.)

      There are 1,400 terms defined, but a number are simply minor
      variations on a theme. (There are, for example, twelve phrases
      beginning with "access.") Much of the material is based the old US
      military terminology from the (now, generally) superceded "Rainbow
      series" (which is listed), and so there are a number of traditional
      but obsolete expressions. Some new and slang terms have been
      included, but some of these are only very vaguely related to the
      security topic. (The phrase "ankle-biter" is defined as a synonym for
      "script kiddie," but this term is generally used for a young, or
      inexperienced, neophyte in any technical field, and doesn't have a
      specific meaning in security.) Definitions tend to be terse, and may
      lack necessary detail. (The definition of "Chernobyl packet" seems to
      fit a smurf attack [also listed], but, due to the lack of information,
      it is impossible to tell.) An attempt has been made to make sure the
      material is up to date: Carnivore is listed (but not wardialling or
      wadriving). (The definitions for virus and worm are, as usual,
      unfortunate.)

      Overall, despite the problems, this is a useful reference. Primarily,
      of course, this is because it is the first of its type. However, it
      does cover a reasonable range of the security field, and is, for the
      most part, reliable within limits. However, I would hope that the
      content is updated, expanded, and improved relatively soon, and
      regularly thereafter.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2002 BKINSCDC.RVW 20020824

      I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.