REVIEW: "Algebraic Aspects of Cryptography", Neal Koblitz

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2002
      BKALASCR.RVW 20011122

      "Algebraic Aspects of Cryptography", Neal Koblitz, 2001,
      3-540-63446-0, U$64.99
      %A Neal Koblitz koblitz@...
      %C 175 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10010
      %I Springer-Verlag
      %O U$64.95 212-460-1500 800-777-4643
      %P 206 p.
      %T "Algebraic Aspects of Cryptography"

      When certain technical people find out that I am involved in data
      security, they assert an interest in cryptography, and an intention to
      write a cryptographic program sometime. While I not wish to disparage
      this goal, questioning of the individual's background in mathematics
      tends to point out that the task is harder than they might have
      foreseen. The magic phrase "number theory" is usually the dividing
      line. For those who make it past that limit, I am going to recommend
      that they get Koblitz's work. Not that I am implying that this book
      is more demanding than it needs to be: only that the topic itself is a
      difficult one.

      This is the heart of cryptology: the underlying foundations that make
      it work. The material presented does not address specific programs,
      standards, or even algorithms, but deals with the basic mathematical
      theory that can be used to construct algorithms, or test their
      strength.

      Chapter one is something of an overview, touching on many fields of
      cryptography and introducing an appropriate and exemplar equation for
      each. Theories related to the strength of cryptographic algorithms
      are given in chapter two. Basic algebra associated with primes are
      discussed in chapter three, underlying the more common asymmetric
      (public key) systems such as RSA. Chapter four outlines an
      illustrative history of the development, cracking, and improvement of
      one particular algorithm, demonstrating the mathematical work
      necessary to each step. Knapsack type problems and theories are
      explained in chapter five. Chapter six deals with the currently very
      highly regarded elliptic curve algorithms, and is backed up with an
      even more extensive appendix on hyperelliptic curves.

      This is not an introduction. It is intended as a text for graduate
      (or possibly advanced undergraduate) work, and requires a solid
      background in mathematics or engineering. For those seriously
      interested in cryptography, though, it is worth the work.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2001 BKALASCR.RVW 20011122

      The great majority of mankind is satisfied with appearances, as
      though they were realities, and is often even more influenced by
      the things that seem than by those that are. - Niccolo Machiavelli