REVIEW: "Networks", Timothy S. Ramteke

  • Rob Slade grandpa of Ryan Trevor Pride &
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2001
      BKNTWRKS.RVW 20010519

      "Networks", Timothy S. Ramteke, 2001, 0-13-901265-6, U$105.00
      %A Timothy S. Ramteke ramteke@... slickk@...
      %C Upper Saddle River, NJ
      %I Prentice Hall
      %O U$105.00 corinne_mitchell@...
      %P 705 p,
      %T "Networks", second edition

      When I saw the first edition of Ramteke's book, with its singular
      title of "Networks," it was bemusing. Did it cover more on TCP/IP?
      LANs? WANs? Public switched telephone networks?

      Yes.

      And very well, too. Using three major examples of networks, with a
      few additional digressions, it covered the concepts of networking.

      So I expected the second edition to be more of the same. Ramteke
      obviously thought so, too, since his introduction states that he has
      followed the same format. However, I found the books to be quite
      different. This new edition is more than 200 pages longer, and the
      additional material appears to concentrate on many more specific
      network systems. Therefore, while the title originally seemed to
      imply a discussion of networking as an abstraction, the appellation
      now appears to refer more to a catalogue of networks.

      This is not necessarily a bad thing. Hidebound old teachers, like
      myself, who need a rigorous structure to a course will find it
      difficult to find chapters to assign for different topics. (It would
      probably be easier simply to assign sections and pages: there is lots
      of material to choose from.) Readers, however, will find a great deal
      of interest in the diverse topics, and telecommunications
      professionals will find it handy to have a quick guide to different
      types of networks as they move into diverse fields.

      Most of the material is familiar to old hands: analog and digital
      signals, transmission systems, basic LAN concepts, basic Internet
      concepts, SNA (Systems Network Architecture), X.25 (still doesn't
      mention Datapac), signalling system 7, ISDN (Integrated Services
      Digital Network), SONET (Synchronous Optical NETwork), frame relay,
      ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode), advanced LAN concepts, bridging and
      routing, and additional TCP/IP concepts. There is a section on voice
      networks, covering signalling, switching, PSTN (Public Switched
      Telephone Network), wireless communication and CDMA (Code Division
      Multiple Access), private networks, voice processing, and T1 networks.
      Other chapters also seem to show a predilection for telephony.

      Some of the chapters seem slightly out of place, such as business and
      residential network services, and Linux adminstration. The topic of
      VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) would seem to belong, were it not for
      the fact that most of the text in this piece deals with basic
      cryptography rather than its application.

      In my original review I stated that this book has the potential to
      become a technical classic. I am not certain that this new
      development takes the work further in that direction. Although
      Ramteke has thoroughly reworked and updated the content, the increased
      emphasis on details of specific networks may date the volume quickly.

      The book is, though, as readable as ever, and is still a good resource
      for anyone wanting to understand this important aspect of
      communications.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 1994, 2001 BKNTWRKS.RVW 20010519

      Certainly, in taking revenge, a man is but even with his enemy;
      but in passing it over, he is superior; for it is a prince's part
      to pardon. - Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626), Essays (1597)