REVIEW: "Siberian Light", Robin White

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2000
      BKSIBLIG.RVW 20001012

      "Siberian Light", Robin White, 1997, 0-440-22460-8
      %A Robin White
      %C 1540 Broadway, New York, NY 10036
      %I Bantam Books/Doubleday/Dell/Island
      %O 800-323-9872 212-765-6500 http://www.bdd.com webmaster@...
      %P 518 p.
      %T "Siberian Light"

      Remember all the mysteries that have the hero/protagonist pretending
      to leave "the information" with a lawyer/friend/newspaper in order to
      be safe for the big denouement? I've always felt that it would be a
      capital idea to have the data sitting out on the net somewhere, ready
      to email itself off, if the good guys don't get back in time.

      Turns out I was a piker. White's idea is *much* more dramatic.

      Unfortunately, to describe the technology that White uses is to give
      the game away, which isn't fair to readers who are, after all, reading
      a mystery. And that cuts down the amount that I can say in a review
      which, after all, is about technology. The technically competent will
      figure it out well before the end of the book, but should still enjoy
      the journey. The use of the Internet is higly realistic, and all I
      will say about problems is that, given a system with sufficient
      bandwidth to have the potential to carry multiple video streams,
      having to set up a separate system to make a phone call seems a bit
      redundant.

      White joins the ranks of a recent spate of writers who are using
      Russia and the crumbling ex-Soviet Union as a backdrop, and are,
      almost universally, producing great stuff. I have more than a
      suspicion that these people are well steeped in Russian literature
      itself, since there is a common stream of rather black humour and an
      odd hopefulness in the midst of bleak situations.

      I am almost tempted to talk about the author's technical trick, since
      knowing the ending will not destroy much of the pleasure of the read.
      White has an extraordinarily convoluted plot, with the most amazing
      twists and turns. He will definitely be an author to watch for.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2000 BKSIBLIG.RVW 20001012

      Where does the idea come from that if what we are doing is fun,
      it can't be God's will? The God who made giraffes has a sense of
      humor. Make no mistake about that. - Catherine Marshall