[techbooks] REVIEW: "Fundamentals of Telecommunications", Roger L. Freeman

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 1999
      BKFNTELC.RVW 990514

      "Fundamentals of Telecommunications", Roger L. Freeman, 1999,
      0-471-29699-6
      %A Roger L. Freeman
      %C 5353 Dundas Street West, 4th Floor, Etobicoke, ON M9B 6H8
      %I John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
      %O 416-236-4433 fax: 416-236-4448 rlangloi@...
      %P 676 p.
      %T "Fundamentals of Telecommunications"

      A footnote to the first paragraph in chapter one put me somewhat at
      ease. If somebody knows that there is more than one "billion" in the
      world, it bodes very well for the technical accuracy of the following
      material.

      This book is intended as an introductory, and entry level, text on
      telecommunications. It covers the field, but does not require
      engineering level math or physics. For those with a weak background
      in mathematics or electricity, some material is provided in
      appendices.

      Chapter one covers introductory concepts, but jumps around a fair bit
      in doing so. Data signalling is dealt with in chapter two (and from
      the description of semaphore, we know that the author was never a Boy
      Scout). Quality of service, and signal, is discussed in chapter
      three. Chapter four looks at the network basics of transmission and
      switching. Transmission for voice telephony gets special
      consideration in chapter five. Chapter six talks about some physical
      level protocols, which doesn't quite explain the title of "Digital
      Networking." Chapter seven details network control signalling. Long
      haul network components are reviewed in chapter eight while the
      specifics of the transmission segments are in chapter nine. Data
      communications gets a bit of a late start in chapter ten, but the
      basics are all there. Chapter eleven presents local area networks as
      the first half of a look at enterprise networks, and continues with
      wide area networks in chapter twelve. The unique aspects of
      signalling system number 7 are outlined in chapter thirteen. Coverage
      of television transmission, in chapter fourteen, is quite detailed.
      Chapter fifteen looks at cable television systems, and also briefly at
      the requirements for two way transmission. Cellular, PCS (Personal
      Communications Services), and wireless are discussed in chapter
      sixteen. High bit rate optical links, in chapter seventeen,
      concentrate on SONET (Synchronous Optical Network) and related
      protocols. Chapter eighteen looks at ATM (Asynchronous Transfer
      Mode).

      The questions and exercises at the end of the chapter are not the best
      I've ever seen, but not the worst either. They tend to ask students
      to pull mere definitions from the text, but some do require a bit of
      analysis. References tend to be protocols or standards
      specifications, and there are few citations of more generally
      available works. With the exception of framing diagrams, the
      illustrations are not very illuminating, and are frequently
      mislabelled.

      The structure of the book, while not exactly disorganized, does tend
      to jump from topic to topic and back again. There is a heavy emphasis
      on telephony, and, despite the very successful limitation of
      prerequisite requirements, a definite engineering tone and bias.
      Still, the fundamentals are all here, and, in the hands of a good
      teacher, this work could be quite successful.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 1999 BKFNTELC.RVW 990514

      I won't stand for it, and I'm not going to take it lying down,
      so I guess I'll just have to sit it out. - Larry Wall