[techbooks] REVIEW: "International Directory of Little Magazines and Small P

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22 12:03 PM
      BKIDLMSP.RVW 990626

      "International Directory of Little Magazines and Small Presses", Len
      Fulton, 1998, 0-916685-70-5, U$34.95
      %A Len Fulton len@...
      %C PO Box 100, Paradise, CA 95967
      %I Dustbooks
      %O U$34.95 dustbooks@... http://www.dustbooks.com
      %P 946 p.
      %T "International Directory of Little Magazines and Small Presses"

      Although not stated, this is obviously a reference work aimed at
      freelance writers who want to find out where to submit material. It
      lists publishers of both books and periodicals. Each listing has
      contact information, plus an indication of the market to which the
      publisher sells, the type of printing done, and some pricing
      information.

      Two indices support the main entries. A "regional" index is set forth
      by states within the US, and by country for non-American listings.
      (The vast majority of the houses are in the United States: there are
      almost twice as many records for California alone as for all non-US
      countries combined.) There is also a subject index, but no indication
      as to how topical divisions were derived. There is, as a slightly
      surreal example, a section for "Dada," but computers are lumped in
      with calculators, technology has exactly six entries, and there is no
      entry at all for telecommunications or any related subject.

      The information is based on self report. There is a slight allusion
      to this in the key to directory listings, and slightly stronger
      evidence in the fact that many descriptions of the operations, scope,
      and interests of the house are enclosed in quotation marks.

      Only one of the small presses and little magazines of which I have
      personal knowledge was listed, and many were not. The question of
      what constitutes a "small press" is probably going to be subjective,
      but I did notice one fairly major player included.

      As a resource for the freelance writer, this book should definitely be
      tried before purchase. For those interested in certain areas of the
      American market it could be very useful. Certain topics; such as
      technology; and non-US markets are not served as well.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 1999 BKIDLMSP.RVW 990626

      The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I
      mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century.
      I didn't live in this century. - Dan Quayle, 9/15/88