[techbooks] REVIEW: "Connecting to the Internet", Andrew F. Ward

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 9:15 AM
      BKCNTTIN.RVW 990618

      "Connecting to the Internet", Andrew F. Ward, 1999, 0-201-37956-2,
      U$19.95/C$29.95
      %A Andrew F. Ward
      %C P.O. Box 520, 26 Prince Andrew Place, Don Mills, Ontario M3C 2T8
      %I Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
      %O U$19.95/C$29.95 416-447-5101 fax: 416-443-0948 bkexpress@...
      %P 291 p.
      %T "Connecting to the Internet"

      The preface states that the book is for experienced network
      administrators who are connecting their LAN to the Internet for the
      first time.

      Chapter one outlines IP internetworking and Internet services, but
      spends most of its time dealing with routing. The routing content is,
      at one and the same time, much more detailed than most first time
      administrators would probably want, and not particularly clear. There
      is a broad, but rather generic, guide to Internet Service Providers
      (ISPs) in chapter two. For connecting your LAN to the provider,
      chapter three gives a comprehensive, but terse, outline of access
      circuits. A number of concepts and details of Internet security are
      discussed, albeit very quickly, in chapter four.

      Chapter five looks at practical details of network design, based on
      the prior material, in terms of configuration. Testing and
      diagnostics are reviewed in chapter six. Going live, in chapter
      seven, notes the throwing of the final switches, as it were. However,
      it is also evident, at this point, that a number of areas, such as
      policies, registration, and so forth, have been ignored in favour of
      getting the hardware and software running.

      The final chapter talks about management, but seems to assume some
      ideal network where both users and providers are much more capable
      than is generally the case. As only one example, the text states that
      complaints from users tend to come in the form, "Do we have some kind
      of firewall that stops Application x from running?" In reality, you
      most often hear something like "My BuddyBox won't pop!" and must then
      determine a) whether the user is trying to run a Wintel client on a
      Mac, b) what and where the BuddyBox server is, c) that "pop" means
      send, d) that the user has no Buddies, and e) that BuddyBox Inc. never
      got beyond alpha release, and, in any case, has been bankrupt for
      eight months.

      Unfortunately, while there is a good deal of information in the book,
      it has concentrated on those areas that sysadmins probably will
      already have explored to some extent. The topics left unexamined are
      precisely those that technically aware Internet novices would need.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 1999 BKCNTTIN.RVW 990618

      I finally realized why Windows is truly multitasking. I find
      myself keeping some secondary task (like ... mail) handy so I can
      make good use of the time I spend waiting for Windows.'n -Steve Edelson

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/techbooks