Re. Tec 180

  • yooody
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi Yuri,

      I am watching with some interest the astromart auction for an
      AP 180 F7. I suspect the price will greatly exceed $30,000!
      This surely is an area that Tec should take advantage of, before
      another company jumps in. Sign me up for a flourite 180 F7:-)
      Also, there is a Mak-Newt from AP 235mm that is already over 22K
      with several days to go. Insane.
      I would suspect the Tec 200mm apo ED and certainly the Flourite
      would outperform either of these fine scopes.

      Marc Zukoff

      Marc Zukoff
    • aajohnah
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
        Marc,

        The AP180 f/7
        The fastMax 225 f/4.3 YES 4.3
        Both are made for imaging not really made for visual observing

        Both these scope more than likely will out perform the TEC scopes imaging
        and I would expect the TEC to outperform them visually.
        I do not think you can ever get a TEC scope down to F/4.3 no matter what you
        did to it, and if you could the light cone would destroy any photons
        collected

        Would like to see TEC produce a Mak 225 f/5 even

        Mark
        www.aajonahfish.com/astronomyhaven.htm

        > I am watching with some interest the astromart auction for an
        > AP 180 F7. I suspect the price will greatly exceed $30,000!
        > This surely is an area that Tec should take advantage of, before
        > another company jumps in. Sign me up for a flourite 180 F7:-)
        > Also, there is a Mak-Newt from AP 235mm that is already over 22K
        > with several days to go. Insane.
        > I would suspect the Tec 200mm apo ED and certainly the Flourite
        > would outperform either of these fine scopes.
        >
        > Marc Zukoff
        >

        > Marc Zukoff
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • wilcoxmilton
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yooody" <yooody@y...> wrote:

          > I am watching with some interest the astromart auction for an
          > AP 180 F7.

          Marc,

          I was fortunate enough to look through a 10yr. old Starfire 180EDT
          that had tested better than lambda/10 at a star party in CA this
          summer. The scope absolutely dissected M13 into individual stars.
          They seldom come up for sale and the owner had turned down a firm
          offer of $24,000 because he says it goes to his son when he dies. It
          is thusly called a "pass-down" scope. :-)

          Thanks for alerting the group to the auction. This would be a good
          one for Mark R. to land because it would be close enough I could come
          look through it!

          Milt Wilcox
        • yooody
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
            Hi,

            Agreed. I did see someone mention(the seller) that the fastMax
            provided incredible planetary views.

            Marc Zukoff

            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "aajohnah" <aajohnah@t...> wrote:
            > Marc,
            >
            > The AP180 f/7
            > The fastMax 225 f/4.3 YES 4.3
            > Both are made for imaging not really made for visual observing
            >
            > Both these scope more than likely will out perform the TEC scopes
            imaging
            > and I would expect the TEC to outperform them visually.
            > I do not think you can ever get a TEC scope down to F/4.3 no
            matter what you
            > did to it, and if you could the light cone would destroy any
            photons
            > collected
            >
            > Would like to see TEC produce a Mak 225 f/5 even
            >

            > Mark
            > www.aajonahfish.com/astronomyhaven.htm

          • yooody
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hi,

              This scope will most likely go for way over 24K. I believe it is
              a new ota and has new coatings.

              Marc Zukoff

              --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "wilcoxmilton" <mewaz@n...> wrote:

              > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yooody" <yooody@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I am watching with some interest the astromart auction for
              an
              > > AP 180 F7.
              > >

              > Marc,
              >
              > I was fortunate enough to look through a 10yr. old Starfire 180EDT
              > that had tested better than lambda/10 at a star party in CA this
              > summer. The scope absolutely dissected M13 into individual stars.
              > They seldom come up for sale and the owner had turned down a firm
              > offer of $24,000 because he says it goes to his son when he dies.
              It
              > is thusly called a "pass-down" scope. :-)
              >
              > Thanks for alerting the group to the auction. This would be a good
              > one for Mark R. to land because it would be close enough I could
              come
              > look through it!
              >
              > Milt Wilcox
            • vahe352
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                > I do not think you can ever get a TEC scope down to F/4.3 no matter
                what you
                > did to it, and if you could the light cone would destroy any
                photons
                > collected

                I believe that TEC had a f/3 MN in their catalog, probably did not
                sell well and it, along with other MN's were discontinued.

                Thanks,
                Vahe
              • Bob Holzer
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Yes, I wish Yuri would get off his butt and produce a real astrograph
                  <g>. No one actually looks thru a telescope anymore.

                  Bob

                  > I am watching with some interest the astromart auction for an
                  > AP 180 F7. I suspect the price will greatly exceed $30,000!
                  > This surely is an area that Tec should take advantage of, before
                  > another company jumps in. Sign me up for a flourite 180 F7:-)
                  > Also, there is a Mak-Newt from AP 235mm that is already over 22K
                  > with several days to go. Insane.
                  > I would suspect the Tec 200mm apo ED and certainly the Flourite
                  > would outperform either of these fine scopes.
                  >
                  > Marc Zukoff
                  >

                  > Marc Zukoff
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • aajohnah
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Marc,

                    Yes
                    I have viewed their the FastMax many nights
                    Great scope
                    Fantastic imaging platform too

                  • aajohnah
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                      Bob,
                      LOL
                      I bet you have looked through your scope at least a dozen times in the last
                      year?

                    • Bob Holzer
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                        Actually, the last time was at WSP 2004.

                        bob

                        > Yes, I wish Yuri would get off his butt and produce a real astrograph
                        > <g>. No one actually looks thru a telescope anymore.
                        >
                        > Bob

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • yuri80226
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yooody" <yooody@y...> wrote:

                          > Hi Yuri,
                          >

                          > I am watching with some interest the astromart auction for an
                          > AP 180 F7. I suspect the price will greatly exceed $30,000!
                          > This surely is an area that Tec should take advantage of, before
                          > another company jumps in. Sign me up for a flourite 180 F7:-)
                          > Also, there is a Mak-Newt from AP 235mm that is already over 22K
                          > with several days to go. Insane.
                          > I would suspect the Tec 200mm apo ED and certainly the Flourite
                          > would outperform either of these fine scopes.
                          >
                          > Marc Zukoff

                          Marc, we will do it later,
                          we can not jump, but have to go step by step. And we can not stop coming of
                          orders for APO140s..
                          Regards, Yuri
                        • yuri80226
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "aajohnah" <aajohnah@t...> wrote:
                            > Marc,
                            >
                            > The AP180 f/7
                            > The fastMax 225 f/4.3 YES 4.3
                            > Both are made for imaging not really made for visual observing
                            >
                            > Both these scope more than likely will out perform the TEC scopes imaging
                            > and I would expect the TEC to outperform them visually.
                            > I do not think you can ever get a TEC scope down to F/4.3 no matter what
                            you
                            > did to it, and if you could the light cone would destroy any photons
                            > collected
                            >
                            > Would like to see TEC produce a Mak 225 f/5 even
                            >

                            > Mark
                            > www.aajonahfish.com/astronomyhaven.htm

                            Mark, we did a few Maksutov-Newtonians 8" F/4 flat field scopes with
                            aspherical primary, it was 7-8 years ago, when CCD was mostly in "Cook
                            book", if I am not mistaken we even put an ad in "CCD astronomy" magazine.
                            Yuri
                          • aajohnah
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                              Yuri,

                              To bad for me I was not imaging 7 years ago
                              In fact was not even imaging 2 years ago
                              That would be one sweet scope

                              Mark
                              www.aajonahfish.com/astronomyhaven.htm

                              >> Both are made for imaging not really made for visual observing
                              >>
                              >> Both these scope more than likely will out perform the TEC scopes imaging
                              >> and I would expect the TEC to outperform them visually.
                              >> I do not think you can ever get a TEC scope down to F/4.3 no matter what
                              > you
                              >> did to it, and if you could the light cone would destroy any photons
                              >> collected
                              >>
                              >> Would like to see TEC produce a Mak 225 f/5 even
                              >>

                              >> Mark
                              >> www.aajonahfish.com/astronomyhaven.htm
                              >

                              > Mark, we did a few Maksutov-Newtonians 8" F/4 flat field scopes with
                              > aspherical primary, it was 7-8 years ago, when CCD was mostly in "Cook
                              > book", if I am not mistaken we even put an ad in "CCD astronomy" magazine.
                              > Yuri
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • yuri80226
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
                                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "vahe352" <vahe@f...> wrote:

                                > > I do not think you can ever get a TEC scope down to F/4.3 no matter
                                > what you
                                > > did to it, and if you could the light cone would destroy any
                                > photons
                                > > collected
                                >
                                > I believe that TEC had a f/3 MN in their catalog, probably did not
                                > sell well and it, along with other MN's were discontinued.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Vahe

                                Vahe, appr. 8 scopes of MN3.5 were made in 1992, when I was working in
                                JMI, but they were not TEc, even optics was done by our opticians.
                                Regards, Yuri
                              • echan1127
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 2, 2004
                                  I agree with Marc. There is definitely a demand out there for the
                                  180 F7 scope. If Yuri will make one I'm definitely in. And I hope
                                  the APO180FL will be F7!

                                  In the meantime I'll be happy with my 140

                                  --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yooody" <yooody@y...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Yuri,
                                  >

                                  > I am watching with some interest the astromart auction for an
                                  > AP 180 F7. I suspect the price will greatly exceed $30,000!
                                  > This surely is an area that Tec should take advantage of, before
                                  > another company jumps in. Sign me up for a flourite 180 F7:-)
                                  > Also, there is a Mak-Newt from AP 235mm that is already over 22K
                                  > with several days to go. Insane.
                                  > I would suspect the Tec 200mm apo ED and certainly the Flourite
                                  > would outperform either of these fine scopes.
                                  >
                                  > Marc Zukoff
                                  >

                                  > Marc Zukoff
                                • wilcoxmilton
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 6, 2004
                                    --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yooody" <yooody@y...> wrote:

                                    > This scope [The AP180 being auctioned on AM] will most likely go
                                    for way over 24K.

                                    Marc, you sure called that one right! It has to make you feel good
                                    about what you paid for your 200...

                                    Milt
                                  • yooody
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 6, 2004
                                      Hi,

                                      Can you imagine, soon to be over 30K for a 7" scope. Amazing.
                                      I guess the Mak-newt that went for 25K was a bargain:-)