Re: TEC 6 images from WSP, misc Markus Ludes WSP musing, and final TEC 6 reducer report

  • lktanx
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
      Bob,

      Thanks very much. Your TEC6 images are really nice, especially the
      color correction and very small stars. I am looking to see if I can
      get similar results with a TEC8/15.5 with the proper reducer. The
      focal lengths are getting quite long and would certainly be very
      sensitive to seeing as well as cool down time.

      Loke

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Holzer" <b.holzer@c...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Loke:
      >
      > Thanks for the kind the words. They are especially appreciated as
      you
      > are one of my favorite imagers. You have an artistic sense that so
      many
      > of us lack.
      >
      > The scope had been out in the sun for an hour or two before dark.
      As
      > soon as it got dark enough we collimated it, but it wasn't quite
      100%
      > settled yet. I probably started the M81 image about an hour later.
      >
      > I usually image in the north Georgia mountains where the
      temperature
      > drops around 25 degrees over the evening. I've never seen the
      scope have
      > a problem keep up with the temperature change.
      >
      > Here are some earlier TEC 6 images, most at about f9.5:
      > http://www.bobholzer.com/tec6.htm
      >
      > I use a Starlight Express SXV-H9 and the small pixels gave me a
      scale of
      > 1.07 arcseconds per pixel with the scope now at f8.16.
      >
      > Bob
      > www.bobholzer.com

      TEC
      > 6,
      > > two of his German companions came by to look. One was his scope
      > maker
      > > Matthias and another friend named Michael. Knowing that Mathias
      > knew
      > > what he was doing (he had a very serious 12" MN next to me that
      he
      > > made), I asked him to help me collimate the TEC 6 since Yuri
      > failed to
      > > come and do this for me personally <g>. Anyway, they helped me
      > collimate
      > > the TEC 6, pronounced it one of the finest scopes they had seen
      at
      > WSP
      > > and offered, seriously, to buy it.
      > >
      > > Lastly, I actually looked thru the TEC 6 for maybe only the 2nd
      > time. I
      > > had fabulous views of Saturn and Jupiter at 300x using my only
      > eyepiece
      > > a 6mm Radian. In fact the views were every bit as good as much
      > larger
      > > scopes that I looked thru with the exception that in the 6", the
      > image
      > > was rock stable without the slightest bit of large scope seeing
      > issues.
      > > It was very impressive. Now I wonder if a binoviewer will work
      on
      > the
      > > TEC 6? That's the only way the view could have been better.
      > >
      > > Bob
      > > www.bobholzer.com <http://www.bobholzer.com/>
      > >
      > > ... guardi le stelle
      > > che tremano d'amore
      > > e di speranza...
      > > Turandot Act II
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Bob Holzer
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi Loke:

        I would also look into the AP .67 reducer designed for their mak. I
        imagine that would be the absolute best bet. If my latest scheme with
        the Meade had not worked, I certainly would have tried it.

        wrote:
        > Hi Loke:
        >
        > Thanks for the kind the words. They are especially appreciated as
        you
        > are one of my favorite imagers. You have an artistic sense that so
        many
        > of us lack.
        >
        > The scope had been out in the sun for an hour or two before dark.
        As
        > soon as it got dark enough we collimated it, but it wasn't quite
        100%
        > settled yet. I probably started the M81 image about an hour later.
        >
        > I usually image in the north Georgia mountains where the
        temperature
        > drops around 25 degrees over the evening. I've never seen the
        scope have
        > a problem keep up with the temperature change.
        >
        > Here are some earlier TEC 6 images, most at about f9.5:
        > http://www.bobholzer.com/tec6.htm
        >
        > I use a Starlight Express SXV-H9 and the small pixels gave me a
        scale of
        > 1.07 arcseconds per pixel with the scope now at f8.16.
        >
        > Bob
        > www.bobholzer.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Tim Khan
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
          Hi Bob,

          As usually, great images! I was so busy at WSP, I
          didnt even image, except for some webcaming.
          Furthermore, My 8" F15 was comendered by the Italians,
          and placed on 10micron mount, similar to a AP900 with
          the braun of a 1200. It sure was a nice mount, no
          declination backlash, instant reversal and much quiter
          than anything out there.

          As for the 6", I'm sure that Mathias and Markus would
          love to get their paws on it.

          Tim

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
        • Eric Roel
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2004
            Bob:
            Nice meeting you at the WSP and yes, I saw Markus and Mathias next
            to you with a green tube 12" Mak.Newtonian and a TBM refractor. I
            saw Saturn through the big MN, but Tim´s 8" TEC image of Saturn was
            superior as also was the one of a beautifully made 10" wooden
            Dobsonian made by a very friendly person that was back where the
            Wheel House, that sported a Zambuto mirror and a very clever struss
            design and curved spyder.
            Beautiful image of M-81, even that there was some luminous
            contamination at the site.
            Tim´s 8" Maksutov performs splendidly, I did not have the oportunity
            to see through yours or Brian Lula´s TEC´s, hope someday I will have
            a chance. BTW, Brian´s German mount is incredibly well built and
            looks rock solid.
            Best regards,
            Eric.

            wrote:
> [...]
            collimate
            > the TEC 6, pronounced it one of the finest scopes they had seen at
            WSP
            > and offered, seriously, to buy it.
            >
            > Lastly, I actually looked thru the TEC 6 for maybe only the 2nd
            time. I
            > had fabulous views of Saturn and Jupiter at 300x using my only
            eyepiece
            > a 6mm Radian. In fact the views were every bit as good as much
            larger
            > scopes that I looked thru with the exception that in the 6", the
            image
            > was rock stable without the slightest bit of large scope seeing
            issues.
            > It was very impressive. Now I wonder if a binoviewer will work on
            the
            > TEC 6? That's the only way the view could have been better.

          • Siegfried
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2004
              --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Roel" <eroel@p...> wrote:

              Question for Tim:

              <<<but Tim´s 8" TEC image of Saturn was superior ...
              Tim´s 8" Maksutov performs splendidly,

              Eric.>>>

              Tim,

              Is your TEC8 factory stock or have you made some cool(ing)
              modifications. What were the condition like at the WSP? Steady
              temperatures?? .. falling temps.. Teperature range. any conditions
              you'd care to describe.

              Siegfried
            • Tim Khan
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2004
                Hi Siegfried,

                I am quite thrown at the wonderful comments that Eric
                has given to my 8� f15. Matthais' 12" Mak Newt has 4
                more inches aperture over my 8" and it should have
                beaten my 8"f15. I could only speculate that it may
                have been plagued by thermal problems.

                My 8" F15 is stock the only difference is that I have
                the larger micrometer focuser. Optically it is no
                different than any other 8" f15 TEC out there.

                The temperatures at the southern tip of Florida are
                quite stable at night, average Florida Keys temps are
                in the 70s/80s. Inland where I do most of my
                observing, the temperature will range from the 60's in
                winter/spring to low 80's in summer. Humidity is
                almost always over 70% then ending up to 100% where
                everything gets dripping wet. The seeing during this
                past Winter Star Party I would consider as a 6. Last
                year we had several 9-9.5 nights.

                Tim

                http://search.yahoo.com