Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [tec-scopes] I've ordered a TEC140

Expand Messages
  • Chris Lord
    Ray, If you can afford it try getting a set of TMB Monocentrics from APM. They work very well indeed with the TEC140APO. Also worth considering are Tak 2.8mm &
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Ray,

      If you can afford it try getting a set of TMB Monocentrics from APM.
      They work very well indeed with the TEC140APO.
      Also worth considering are Tak 2.8mm & 3.6mm HI LE Ortho. Try to avoid
      having to use a Barlow+eyepiece
      combination for powers in excess of x50/inch. Keep the glass to a
      minimum.

      The OG's field curvature will be a problem when selecting a suitable
      low power wide field eyepiece.
      If you have plenty of accommodation (several dioptres) it helps, but
      bear in mind it decreases to
      almost zero in late middle-age.

      I purchased a UO 40mm type II 70º Koning and an APM 30mmx84º typeIII
      WideScan. Neither work for me,
      their field curvatures do not match the OG at all. When in focus on
      axis, stars are well out of focus at the field edge.
      The out-of-focus images are round, and when they are focused, the on
      axis images are equally out-of-focus yet round.
      However the entire fov cannot be focused simultaneously. Perhaps either
      the 31mm type 5 Nagler or the new
      41mm Panoptic may be better, but you'll need to find out for sure
      first; its an awful lot of money to spend only to
      discover the same situation afterwards!

      I have several exMoD (Ministry of Defence auctioned optics) ultra-wide
      angle eyepieces, Bertele & Galoc types.
      They all work well with the TEC140APO, having crisp well corrected
      fields of view, and generous eye relief,
      and very low rectilinear distortion. I describe these a little more
      fully in my monograph "The Evolution of the Eyepiece"
      downloadable from my publications page. E-mail me direct if you require
      specifics.

      My best low power eyepiece is an exWWII 44mm Kaspereit style Erfle. It
      gives a 3º.4 fov @ x22. It is the eyepiece
      that used to be sold in the UK by H.W. English as the Mount Palomar
      Erfle, and in the USA by Jaegers. Finding one
      with good Canada balsalm and blooming may be difficult now, but if you
      do come across such an example,
      it is a marvellous eyepiece.


      On Wednesday, December 31, 2003, at 08:33 pm, Ray Byrne wrote:

      > I have a full set of Konig eyepieces, various Meade Plossls a Pentax XL
      > 14mm EP and a TV 40mm 2" EP + a Meade 2x Barlow and TV 3x Barlow any
      > others that the group would recommend?
      >
      ________________________________________________________
      ========================================================
      Chris Lord
      Brayebrook Observatory
      30 Harlton Road
      Little Eversden
      Cambridge
      CB3 7HB
      tel (+44) 01223 263481
      http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/
      =========================================================
      _________________________________________________________
    • Teri Smoot
      I ve also ordered a TEC 140 (in mid December). Here s what Anacortes has told me... The scope will be delivery next spring at the earliest and probably
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 1, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        I've also ordered a TEC 140 (in mid December). Here's what Anacortes has
        told me... "The scope will be delivery next spring at the earliest and
        probably late Spring early summer." I'm really looking forward to receiving
        it and the sooner the better... I'm going to be using it on a G11/Gemini
        (my Christmas gift -- got here 12/24).

        Teri

        ----- Original Message -----
        From: astro11566 <astro11566@...>
        To: <tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com>
        Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 5:17 PM
        Subject: [tec-scopes] Re: I've ordered a TEC140


        > Hi Ray,
        >
        > What timeframe were you given for delivery?
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > To visit your group on the web, go to:
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tec-scopes/
        >
        > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > tec-scopes-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >
        >
      • Ray Byrne
        ... I ve only emailed the order to a UK dealer and haven t had any feedback yet. I don t think they ll read it till Monday. I m prepared for a long wait as
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          On Thursday, January 1, 2004, at 01:17 AM, astro11566 wrote:

          > Hi Ray,
          >
          > What timeframe were you given for delivery?
          >
          >
          >

          I've only emailed the order to a UK dealer and haven't had any feedback
          yet. I don't think they'll read it till Monday. I'm prepared for a long
          wait as I've got to save for it as well :o[



          ATB

          Ray Byrne
          in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
          T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
        • tommasini
          Ray, I have used (visual use only) my TEC 140 on both a G11 and a G8. The G11 held it well and would be adequate for use with a webcam. The G8 in my
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            Ray,

            I have used (visual use only) my TEC 140 on both a G11 and a G8. The
            G11 held it well and would be adequate for use with a webcam. The G8
            in my experience is barely usable for visual use. Any slight brush
            against the eyepiece causes the image to jiggle. Focusing is a bit
            difficult as well even with the awesome Feathertouch focuser. I am
            going to be selling the G8 in the near future. I don't think that
            there is any way the G8 would satisfactorily carry both the TEC and
            the Coronado at the same time.

            Something like the Titan, MI250 or AP900 would be a great match to
            the scope. Obviously, these mounts are not exactly highly portable
            or cheap.

            I'm just providing my perspective on what I consider satisfactory and
            I think that the G8 is a bit undersized for the TEC 140 even for
            visual use.

            - Dave
            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Ray Byrne <ray@i...> wrote:
            > Dear Group Members,
            >
            > I've resisted for over a year the compulsion to order a TEC scope
            (I
            > only joined the group to ask for some images to help market the 140
            > commercially for one of my clients and have got hooked)
            >
            > NOW I'VE PUT MY ORDER IN :o].
            >
            > Like most amateur astronomers you want to invest in the "perfect
            scope"
            > but what is that instrument? My first views of the heavens were
            through
            > a 6" Newtonian at the science lab at my secondary (high) school.
            The
            > Science teacher was an amateur astronomer and had a dome built on
            the
            > lab and was such a cool guy (39 years ago now) and it was Apollo
            era as
            > well. I was totally gob-smacked by what I saw through that scope
            and
            > school trips to the Planetarium in London left me with magic
            memories
            > of my early teens. I saved-up on my paper round (route) to buy my
            own
            > telescope but could only afford a 60mm altaz mounted refractor, but
            I
            > did lots of astronomy with it.
            >
            > I've had all sorts of instruments since that time, 3 SCTs, 2
            > Refractors; an Achromatic and an APO refractor, an ETX MCT and a
            GEM
            > mounted Newtonian, I've even made my own 12" Dobsonian but I've
            never
            > found the "perfect scope". Currently I use a Maksutov Cassegrain
            and
            > it is a fickle beast, but probably the best scope I've owned so far
            > though. I've listened to your excited comments about your TEC140s,
            > spoken off-list with 140 owners or those who have compared them
            with
            > other top-notch instruments, and seen the review in S&T.
            >
            > I think I've just ordered my "perfect scope".
            >
            > Just some questions here - I want to have no reason NOT to use this
            > scope as if it is a pain to set-up I'll use it less often than it
            > deserves, even with the best intentions initially.
            >
            > So will a GM8 allow me to do planetary webcam imaging with it or
            should
            > I go for the G11 which is a hefty old thing from what I can gather
            and
            > far less portable? I also want to use the set-up during the day for
            > Solar observing. I will use my Coronado Maxscope for Ha
            > observing/imaging but would like to use the 140 for white-light
            > observing/imaging. Can I ... 1. mount these two scopes side by side
            on
            > a GM8 and 2. ... is there a white light solar filter suitable for
            the
            > 140.
            >
            > I have a full set of Konig eyepieces, various Meade Plossls a
            Pentax XL
            > 14mm EP and a TV 40mm 2" EP + a Meade 2x Barlow and TV 3x Barlow
            any
            > others that the group would recommend?
            >
            > I'm no longer a lurker and I can take part in the excitement
            >
            > Happy New Year year to you all and good seeing
            >
            >
            >
            > ATB
            >
            > Ray Byrne
            > in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
            > T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
          • Ray Byrne
            ... Hi Dave, The GM8 was just a thought to keep cost down. The S&T review said that the G11 was minimum for CCD/Astrophotography work. On reading it again I
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 08:20 PM, tommasini wrote:

              > I don't think that
              > there is any way the G8 would satisfactorily carry both the TEC and
              > the Coronado at the same time.


              Hi Dave,

              The GM8 was just a thought to keep cost down. The S&T review said that
              the G11 was minimum for CCD/Astrophotography work. On reading it again
              I think though a webcam (being lighter than an EP) should work OK. I
              don't think I could stretch to a bigger mount either cost or
              weight-wise. The G11 has always impressed me as a real chunky monster.
              The Maxscope40 is a little 40mm scope only 550mm long and weighs about
              5/6lbs surely the G11 can handle these two reasonable well?


              ATB

              Ray Byrne
              in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
              T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
            • tommasini
              I think that a G11 would work well for webcam work and it could also handle the additional weight of the Coronado. How are you planning to mount the
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                I think that a G11 would work well for webcam work and it could also
                handle the additional weight of the Coronado. How are you planning
                to mount the TEC/Coronado combination? I found the side-by-side
                method difficult to balance well.

                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Ray Byrne <ray@i...> wrote:
                >
                > On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 08:20 PM, tommasini wrote:
                >
                > > I don't think that
                > > there is any way the G8 would satisfactorily carry both the TEC
                and
                > > the Coronado at the same time.
                >
                >
                > Hi Dave,
                >
                > The GM8 was just a thought to keep cost down. The S&T review said
                that
                > the G11 was minimum for CCD/Astrophotography work. On reading it
                again
                > I think though a webcam (being lighter than an EP) should work OK.
                I
                > don't think I could stretch to a bigger mount either cost or
                > weight-wise. The G11 has always impressed me as a real chunky
                monster.
                > The Maxscope40 is a little 40mm scope only 550mm long and weighs
                about
                > 5/6lbs surely the G11 can handle these two reasonable well?
                >
                >
                > ATB
                >
                > Ray Byrne
                > in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                > T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
              • Mark Rieck
                ... The ... G8 ... While I agree that a dual scope setup that includes a 140 may be on the boundary with the GM8, bear in mind results will improve
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "tommasini" <daveangietandy@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > Ray,
                  >
                  > I have used (visual use only) my TEC 140 on both a G11 and a G8.
                  The
                  > G11 held it well and would be adequate for use with a webcam. The
                  G8
                  > in my experience is barely usable for visual use. Any slight brush
                  > against the eyepiece causes the image to jiggle. Focusing is a bit
                  > difficult as well even with the awesome Feathertouch focuser. I am
                  > going to be selling the G8 in the near future. I don't think that
                  > there is any way the G8 would satisfactorily carry both the TEC and
                  > the Coronado at the same time.

                  While I agree that a dual scope setup that includes a 140 may be on
                  the boundary with the GM8, bear in mind results will improve
                  dramatically by replacing the stock tripod. While I still prefer to
                  use the G11 with the 140, I still regularly use the 8 without any
                  shaking or inability to focus so long as a better tripod is used. I
                  asked James at Astrosky to come with a better solution for me, and
                  the Dominator has been the answer. YMMV.

                  Mark
                • Ray Byrne
                  ... Well to be honest I m open to suggestions. Perhaps the Maxscope40 could be piggy-backed off the TEC140s tube rings, this could double-up as a carrying
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 12:32 AM, tommasini wrote:

                    > I think that a G11 would work well for webcam work and it could also
                    > handle the additional weight of the Coronado. How are you planning
                    > to mount the TEC/Coronado combination? I found the side-by-side
                    > method difficult to balance well.

                    Well to be honest I'm open to suggestions.

                    Perhaps the Maxscope40 could be piggy-backed off the TEC140s tube
                    rings, this could double-up as a carrying handle. The Maxscope40 comes
                    with a saddle with tube rings I've currently got it mounted on a little
                    GEM that is supplied with Meade's 114mm Newtonians (the OTA was damaged
                    so I was given the tripod and mount). Chris Lord attached his 140 to
                    his Newtonian in a similar fashion to how I envisage attaching the
                    Maxscope40 but to the tube rings obviously. Is there provision on the
                    tube rings for adding stuff?


                    ATB

                    Ray Byrne
                    in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                    T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
                  • Mark Rieck
                    ... also ... planning ... My oversight Ray, I agree that balancing is an issue using a DSP, especially considering the weight and size differences. The 40 is
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Ray Byrne <ray@i...> wrote:
                      >
                      > On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 12:32 AM, tommasini wrote:
                      >
                      > > I think that a G11 would work well for webcam work and it could
                      also
                      > > handle the additional weight of the Coronado. How are you
                      planning
                      > > to mount the TEC/Coronado combination? I found the side-by-side
                      > > method difficult to balance well.
                      >
                      > Well to be honest I'm open to suggestions.
                      >
                      > Perhaps the Maxscope40 could be piggy-backed off the TEC140s tube
                      > rings, this could double-up as a carrying handle.

                      My oversight Ray, I agree that balancing is an issue using a DSP,
                      especially considering the weight and size differences. The 40 is so
                      small and light I'm sure it would be but a drop in the bucket atop a
                      140.

                      Mark
                    • Chris Lord
                      Ray, Order the tube rings plus a dovetail plate, the 9-incher. You can then mount stuff off that, and you can use either side to fix the cradle to your piggy
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Ray,

                        Order the tube rings plus a dovetail plate, the 9-incher. You can then
                        mount stuff off that, and you can use either side to fix the cradle to
                        your piggy back off stands.

                        On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 12:37 pm, Ray Byrne wrote:

                        > Chris Lord attached his 140 to
                        > his Newtonian in a similar fashion to how I envisage attaching the
                        > Maxscope40  but to the tube rings obviously. Is there provision on the
                        > tube rings for adding stuff?
                        >
                        >
                        > ATB
                        >
                        > Ray Byrne
                        > in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                        > T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
                        >
                        ________________________________________________________
                        ========================================================
                        Chris Lord
                        Brayebrook Observatory
                        30 Harlton Road
                        Little Eversden
                        Cambridge
                        CB3 7HB
                        tel (+44) 01223 263481
                        http://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/
                        =========================================================
                        _________________________________________________________
                      • Ray Byrne
                        ... Hi Chris, I ve downloaded the 140 manual and looked at the tube rings again and the dovetail plate. Could I clarify a few points here: 1. am I correct in
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                        • 0 Attachment
                          On Saturday, January 3, 2004, at 04:34 PM, Chris Lord wrote:

                          > Ray,
                          >
                          > Order the tube rings plus a dovetail plate, the 9-incher. You can then
                          > mount stuff off that, and you can use either side to fix the cradle to
                          > your piggy back off stands.

                          Hi Chris,

                          I've downloaded the 140 manual and looked at the tube rings again and
                          the dovetail plate. Could I clarify a few points here:

                          1. am I correct in thinking I'll need a dovetail plate to initially
                          mount the 140 rings to a G11 and...

                          2. I need to purchase a further plate which will attach to the opposite
                          side of the rings (ie the top) to which I can attach the Maxscope40
                          with losmandy rings of a suitable diameter.

                          Apart from the 140 manual are there any other datasheets/engineering
                          drawings of stuff like this? also of Losmandy plates, rings etc.




                          ATB

                          Ray Byrne
                          in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                          T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
                        • mihalco
                          Ray, If memory serve me right, the rings for the 140 are round at the top and don t lend themselves to mounting a plate there. *If* this is the case, you
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Ray,
                            If memory serve me right, the rings for the 140 are round at the top
                            and don't lend themselves to mounting a plate there. *If* this is
                            the case, you might want to check out rings from Parallax, which have
                            a flat mounting area on the top of the ring too. There info is at:
                            http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/ring.htm
                            Regards,
                            Kurt Mihalco

                            >
                            > Hi Chris,
                            >
                            > I've downloaded the 140 manual and looked at the tube rings again
                            and
                            > the dovetail plate. Could I clarify a few points here:
                            >
                            > 1. am I correct in thinking I'll need a dovetail plate to initially
                            > mount the 140 rings to a G11 and...
                            >
                            > 2. I need to purchase a further plate which will attach to the
                            opposite
                            > side of the rings (ie the top) to which I can attach the Maxscope40
                            > with losmandy rings of a suitable diameter.
                            >
                            > Apart from the 140 manual are there any other
                            datasheets/engineering
                            > drawings of stuff like this? also of Losmandy plates, rings etc.
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > ATB
                            >
                            > Ray Byrne
                            > in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                            > T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
                          • Bill Tschumy
                            ... No, the rings are flat on the top, same as the bottom. -- Bill Tschumy Otherwise -- Austin, TX http://www.otherwise.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On Jan 3, 2004, at 5:37 PM, mihalco wrote:

                              > Ray,
                              > If memory serve me right, the rings for the 140 are round at the top
                              > and don't lend themselves to mounting a plate there. *If* this is
                              > the case, you might want to check out rings from Parallax, which have
                              > a flat mounting area on the top of the ring too. There info is at:
                              > http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/ring.htm
                              > Regards,
                              > Kurt Mihalco

                              No, the rings are flat on the top, same as the bottom.

                              --
                              Bill Tschumy
                              Otherwise -- Austin, TX
                              http://www.otherwise.com
                            • yuri80226
                              ... Hi Kurt, if you go to the group Photos section, third file named Accessories for APO140 has pictures of the rings. Yuri
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                              • 0 Attachment
                                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@p...> wrote:
                                > Ray,
                                > If memory serve me right, the rings for the 140 are round at the top
                                > and don't lend themselves to mounting a plate there. *If* this is
                                > the case, you might want to check out rings from Parallax, which have
                                > a flat mounting area on the top of the ring too. There info is at:
                                > http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/ring.htm
                                > Regards,
                                > Kurt Mihalco

                                Hi Kurt, if you go to the group "Photos" section, third file named Accessories
                                for APO140 has pictures of the rings.

                                Yuri
                              • mihalco
                                I m glad a prefaced my response with If memory serves me right ... Seems this time it didn t! :o) Kurt ... top ... is ... have ... Accessories
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  I'm glad a prefaced my response with "If memory serves me right"...
                                  Seems this time it didn't! <g> :o)
                                  Kurt

                                  --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:
                                  > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@p...> wrote:
                                  > > Ray,
                                  > > If memory serve me right, the rings for the 140 are round at the
                                  top
                                  > > and don't lend themselves to mounting a plate there. *If* this
                                  is
                                  > > the case, you might want to check out rings from Parallax, which
                                  have
                                  > > a flat mounting area on the top of the ring too. There info is
                                  at:
                                  > > http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/ring.htm
                                  > > Regards,
                                  > > Kurt Mihalco
                                  >
                                  > Hi Kurt, if you go to the group "Photos" section, third file named
                                  Accessories
                                  > for APO140 has pictures of the rings.
                                  >
                                  > Yuri
                                • sdheckenlively
                                  Hi, I don t want to disparage the 140 for planetary imaging, but you may want to check out the Digital Astro group here on Yahoo, then consider getting one of
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 4, 2004
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    Hi,

                                    I don't want to disparage the 140 for planetary imaging,
                                    but you may want to check out the Digital Astro group here
                                    on Yahoo, then consider getting one of the Canon DSLRs for
                                    deep sky imaging. The Canon 300d (aka Digital Rebel) is about
                                    $900-1000 in the US.

                                    DSLR imaging has its challenges, but if your light pollution
                                    is not too bad, well, the pictures speak for themselves.
                                    Deep sky using a huge sensor has entered the mass market.
                                    The pictures are so huge, its hard to find one at full res.

                                    My best advice on the GM-8 vs G-11 issue is, if you have a
                                    GM-8, don't buy a G-11 until you know 1st hand the GM-8 isn't
                                    adequate, and precisely why a G-11 is. For instance, both
                                    have to be unbalanced to remove play in the gears and prevent
                                    the slightest breeze from wagging the OTA around.

                                    Even then, consider alternatives. And if you do get a G-11
                                    and don't have a dome, buy a nice strong 3 shelf cart with
                                    wheels (and a doorway ramp if necessary) to help you set up.
                                    You'll also probably want a pier extension for either mount.

                                    Good luck. After all the technical and financial considerations,
                                    time and weather remain the limiting factors.

                                    --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Ray Byrne <ray@i...> wrote:
                                    > Dear Group Members,
                                    >
                                    > I've resisted for over a year the compulsion to order a TEC scope
                                    (I
                                    > only joined the group to ask for some images to help market the 140
                                    > commercially for one of my clients and have got hooked)
                                    >
                                    > NOW I'VE PUT MY ORDER IN :o].
                                    >
                                    > Like most amateur astronomers you want to invest in the "perfect
                                    scope"
                                    > but what is that instrument? My first views of the heavens were
                                    through
                                    > a 6" Newtonian at the science lab at my secondary (high) school.
                                    The
                                    > Science teacher was an amateur astronomer and had a dome built on
                                    the
                                    > lab and was such a cool guy (39 years ago now) and it was Apollo
                                    era as
                                    > well. I was totally gob-smacked by what I saw through that scope
                                    and
                                    > school trips to the Planetarium in London left me with magic
                                    memories
                                    > of my early teens. I saved-up on my paper round (route) to buy my
                                    own
                                    > telescope but could only afford a 60mm altaz mounted refractor, but
                                    I
                                    > did lots of astronomy with it.
                                    >
                                    > I've had all sorts of instruments since that time, 3 SCTs, 2
                                    > Refractors; an Achromatic and an APO refractor, an ETX MCT and a
                                    GEM
                                    > mounted Newtonian, I've even made my own 12" Dobsonian but I've
                                    never
                                    > found the "perfect scope". Currently I use a Maksutov Cassegrain
                                    and
                                    > it is a fickle beast, but probably the best scope I've owned so far
                                    > though. I've listened to your excited comments about your TEC140s,
                                    > spoken off-list with 140 owners or those who have compared them
                                    with
                                    > other top-notch instruments, and seen the review in S&T.
                                    >
                                    > I think I've just ordered my "perfect scope".
                                    >
                                    > Just some questions here - I want to have no reason NOT to use this
                                    > scope as if it is a pain to set-up I'll use it less often than it
                                    > deserves, even with the best intentions initially.
                                    >
                                    > So will a GM8 allow me to do planetary webcam imaging with it or
                                    should
                                    > I go for the G11 which is a hefty old thing from what I can gather
                                    and
                                    > far less portable? I also want to use the set-up during the day for
                                    > Solar observing. I will use my Coronado Maxscope for Ha
                                    > observing/imaging but would like to use the 140 for white-light
                                    > observing/imaging. Can I ... 1. mount these two scopes side by side
                                    on
                                    > a GM8 and 2. ... is there a white light solar filter suitable for
                                    the
                                    > 140.
                                    >
                                    > I have a full set of Konig eyepieces, various Meade Plossls a
                                    Pentax XL
                                    > 14mm EP and a TV 40mm 2" EP + a Meade 2x Barlow and TV 3x Barlow
                                    any
                                    > others that the group would recommend?
                                    >
                                    > I'm no longer a lurker and I can take part in the excitement
                                    >
                                    > Happy New Year year to you all and good seeing
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > ATB
                                    >
                                    > Ray Byrne
                                    > in4media | graphic and website DESIGN
                                    > T: 01793 435704 | W: http://www.in4media.co.uk
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.