Re: Color in the TEC 140

  • yooody
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi,

      Having owned an AP 105, 130 and 155, I think that comment is
      nonsense. I had the Tec out tonight and saw absolutely no color in
      focus on any object I checked. Perhaps the person who made that
      statement was looking at an object low in the sky and was seeing
      atmosheric dispersion?

      Regards,

      Marc Zukoff

      --- In tec-
      scopes@yahoogroups.com, "walter_locke" <wblne@n...> wrote:
      > I was looking at a post in the Takahashi forum on Astromart in which
      > an individual claimed to compare the TEC 140, Tak TOA 130, and AP
      130.
      > This person seemed to think that, despite the mechanical quality of
      > the TEC 140, it showed false color in focus on bright objects. This
      is
      > the first time I have heard or seen this claim. The fact that that
      it
      > was made on a Takahashi forum immediately makes it suspect, but I'd
      > like to know if anyone can refute or corroborate this statement.
      >
      > Thanks and best wishes,
      >
      > Walter
    • walter_locke
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 31, 2003
        Thanks for the replies. I have no doubt you are correct. It was Bruce
        K., however, who was making the claim about false color in posts dated
        8/28, I believe. His comparisons were very informal and not to be
        taken too seriously. It was the only time I had seen any claim
        regarding color directed at the TEC 140, and I am quite satisfied with
        your response, Yuri.

        Thanks again,

        Walter
      • jdaukantas@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 31, 2003
          Walter as far as I know I'm the only one that made this test of the TEC140, Tak. 130, AP 130 F6, I own all three scopes. I found that all these scopes are color free when they have settled down. I believe it was another party that made that clam of seeing color in the 140.  Joe D.
        • albireo13
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2003
            Walter,

            I have had my TEC140 for a year now (#004) and have never seen
            false color on any object IN FOCUS. There is slight color out of
            focus but ....
            I tend to view objects in focus. What a concept!! :)

            Cheers,
            Rob

            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "walter_locke" <wblne@n...> wrote:
            > I was looking at a post in the Takahashi forum on Astromart in
            which
            > an individual claimed to compare the TEC 140, Tak TOA 130, and AP
            130.
            > This person seemed to think that, despite the mechanical quality of
            > the TEC 140, it showed false color in focus on bright objects.
            This is
            > the first time I have heard or seen this claim. The fact that that
            it
            > was made on a Takahashi forum immediately makes it suspect, but I'd
            > like to know if anyone can refute or corroborate this statement.
            >
            > Thanks and best wishes,
            >
            > Walter
          • walter_locke
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1, 2003
              --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, jdaukantas@a... wrote:
              > Walter as far as I know I'm the only one that made this test of the
              TEC140,
              > Tak. 130, AP 130 F6, I own all three scopes. I found that all these
              scopes are
              > color free when they have settled down. I believe it was another
              party that
              > made that clam of seeing color in the 140. Joe D.

              Joe, you're absolutely correct. Bruce K. made that claim on 8/28. I
              don't believe I fingered you as to that remark, but Bruce stated that
              the TOA beat the TEC "hands down" with respect to false color,
              implying there was detectable color coming from the TEC 140. As I said
              before, the original claim was suspect considering its source, but I
              am curious to know if anyone else could make the same claim. If not,
              the remark was made by someone who had just invested big bucks in a
              Tak and felt the necessity of cracking on another brand, possibly to
              justify his own choice. In any case, I in no way intended for anyone
              to feel I was casting aspersions upon TEC, which I hold in high
              regard.

              Thanks,

              Walter
            • walter_locke
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1, 2003
                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "walter_locke" <wblne@n...> wrote:
                > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, jdaukantas@a... wrote:
                > > Walter as far as I know I'm the only one that made this test of
                the
                > TEC140,
                > > Tak. 130, AP 130 F6, I own all three scopes. I found that all
                these
                > scopes are
                > > color free when they have settled down. I believe it was another
                > party that
                > > made that clam of seeing color in the 140. Joe D.

                Here is an exerpt from the remarks made in the thread on A-mart, just
                to set the record straight...

                "With fresh memory of testing the TEC 140 last weekend
                MY OPINION IS THE TOA WAS FAR FAR SUPERIOR IN COLOUR
                CORRECTION...........AS IN COLOURLESS"

                Walter
              • jdaukantas@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 1, 2003
                  Walter, I did not post to you that you were referring to me on that clam, only that I was the only one having all three scopes to compare.  Joe D.
                • walter_locke
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 1, 2003
                    --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, jdaukantas@a... wrote:
                    > Walter, I did not post to you that you were referring to me on that
                    clam,
                    > only that I was the only one having all three scopes to compare. Joe D.

                    Thanks, Joe. It's so easy to cause hurt when you're typing words into
                    the ether. I was trying to set the record as close to straight as I
                    could so the opportunity for misinterpretation would be as small as
                    possible.

                    Walter
                  • Steve Ryde
                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Hi,

                      I am counting the days before my TEC 140 arrives. I guess having a refractor
                      showing no colour in and out of focus, as claimed in the TOA 130, means it
                      has superb correction. However, I will be happy if my refractor performs as
                      well as the earlier TEC 140 owners have said in the group. In focus is where
                      I will be concentrating my visual work.

                      Cheers,

                      Steve

                      > I have had my TEC140 for a year now (#004) and have never seen
                      > false color on any object IN FOCUS. There is slight color out of
                      > focus but ....
                      > I tend to view objects in focus. What a concept!! :)
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Rob
                      >

                      > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "walter_locke" <wblne@n...> wrote:
                      > > I was looking at a post in the Takahashi forum on Astromart in
                      > which
                      > > an individual claimed to compare the TEC 140, Tak TOA 130, and AP
                      > 130.
                      > > This person seemed to think that, despite the mechanical quality of
                      > > the TEC 140, it showed false color in focus on bright objects.
                      > This is
                      > > the first time I have heard or seen this claim. The fact that that
                      > it
                      > > was made on a Takahashi forum immediately makes it suspect, but I'd
                      > > like to know if anyone can refute or corroborate this statement.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks and best wishes,
                      > >
                      > > Walter

                      > This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
                      > http://www.nod32.com

                    • albireo13
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 2, 2003
                        Steve,
                        I always recommend viewing in-focus, myself. :)
                        You'll be quite happy.

                        Cheers,
                        Rob

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > > __________ NOD32 1.498 (20030901) Information __________
                        > >
                        > > This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
                        > > http://www.nod32.com

                      • Steve Ryde
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 2, 2003
                          Hi Rob,

                          I am looking forward to it.

                          Also waiting to see if Yuri releases any eyepieces. This would make a great
                          combo!

                          Cheers,

                          Steve

                          P.S. All this comparison of first class telescopes over which is better
                          reminds me of comparing cars in my youth (or nowadays computers and their
                          processors). I guess it does not matter what the hobby is you always get
                          these interesting comparisons - makes fun reading!

                          > I always recommend viewing in-focus, myself. :)
                          > You'll be quite happy.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Rob
                          >

                          > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ryde" <sryde@o...> wrote:
                          > > Hi,
                          > >
                          > > I am counting the days before my TEC 140 arrives. I guess having a
                          > refractor
                          > > showing no colour in and out of focus, as claimed in the TOA 130,
                          > means it
                          > > has superb correction. However, I will be happy if my refractor
                          > performs as
                          > > well as the earlier TEC 140 owners have said in the group. In
                          > focus is where
                          > > I will be concentrating my visual work.
                          > >
                          > > Cheers,
                          > >
                          > > Steve

                        • yuri80226
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 5, 2003
                            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "walter_locke" <wblne@n...> wrote:
                            > Thanks for the replies. I have no doubt you are correct. It was Bruce
                            > K., however, who was making the claim about false color in posts dated
                            > 8/28, I believe. His comparisons were very informal and not to be
                            > taken too seriously. It was the only time I had seen any claim
                            > regarding color directed at the TEC 140, and I am quite satisfied with
                            > your response, Yuri.
                            > Thanks again,
                            > Walter

                            About "Color in TEC140".
                            - It was a kind of surprise for us, all scopes of the first run were done from the
                            same glasses and color correction should be almost identical for whole run.

                            As we found later, it happened with the scope #018 that was sold a couple of
                            weeks ago by Sander G. to Brian S.
                            Before this happened, I was talking with seller and he did not mentioned any
                            problem (this person has also a"rare" TEC MN 8). A week later, a new owner
                            were using the scope and it was shown a lot of colors.... this made some
                            people on TAK group "happy" and they talked about this the way you may
                            read here or on Astromart's Forums. (I wil answer them too, but a bit later)
                            We wil be checking this scope next week and only after test I will give more
                            info what happened.

                            Yuri
                          • yuri80226
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 5, 2003
                              --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "walter_locke" <wblne@n...> wrote:
                              As I said
                              > before, the original claim was suspect considering its source, but I
                              > am curious to know if anyone else could make the same claim. If not,
                              > the remark was made by someone who had just invested big bucks in a
                              > Tak and felt the necessity of cracking on another brand, possibly to
                              > justify his own choice. In any case, I in no way intended for anyone
                              > to feel I was casting aspersions upon TEC, which I hold in high
                              > regard.
                              > Thanks,
                              > Walter

                              As I said in my earlier post the scope #018 will be checked in the shop soon
                              and claim about color in it may be correct.
                              As per "cracking on another brand " - It is not easy even for TAK vs. TEC.
                              Here is the resent letter from Japan:
                              > Hello Yuri
                              > Just back from a local star party, where some attendees viewed Mars thru
                              the
                              > TEC 140 and dubbed it "the best" in sharpness and detail even against the
                              > TAK 150 flourite! A truly incredible scope!

                              As per TOA 130 color correction:
                              we have checked the Japanise sourses of info and found that the color
                              correction according to articles in Temmon Guide of this new TAK scope may
                              be on the level of Maksutov telescopes, in other words - very high.
                              We did not test this scope to say how it is in reality or comparing to our
                              scopes, but such test is coming. If someone has a TOA130 - we can do a free
                              interferometry and color shift test.
                              Regards, Yuri
                            • etherealnumber99
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 10, 2003
                                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:
                                > As I said in my earlier post the scope #018 will be checked in the
                                shop soon
                                > and claim about color in it may be correct.

                                Hi Yuri,

                                What could be the reason? I've heard elsewhere that it is possible to
                                have a mistakenly wrong or incorrectly installed element in an APO
                                refractor be able to pass an interferometer test for wavefront
                                correction, and then have the color error problem pop up in a visual
                                star test. I figure you guys are probably too busy to star test every
                                telescope outside.

                                Bill
                              • ryderc1
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 10, 2003
                                  I think "field" testing every scope prior to shipment is a good idea.
                                  A couple of other scope makers incorporate this step as part of their
                                  process. Yuri's trained and experienced eyes would provide an iron
                                  clad assurance that every scope leaving his hands is a superb
                                  performer.

                                  I suspect the color issue in the scope in question will turn out to
                                  NOT be an inherent flaw in the scope itself. Live testing as a final
                                  QC check could eliminate issues like this from being raised in the
                                  first place and avoid any undeserved negative press they could
                                  potentially create.

                                  --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "etherealnumber99" <ratboy99@a...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:
                                  > > As I said in my earlier post the scope #018 will be checked in
                                  the
                                  > shop soon
                                  > > and claim about color in it may be correct.
                                  >
                                  > Hi Yuri,
                                  >
                                  > What could be the reason? I've heard elsewhere that it is possible
                                  > have a mistakenly wrong or incorrectly installed element in an APO
                                  > refractor be able to pass an interferometer test for wavefront
                                  > correction, and then have the color error problem pop up in a
                                  visual
                                  > star test. I figure you guys are probably too busy to star test
                                  every
                                  > telescope outside.
                                  >
                                  > Bill
                                • etherealnumber99
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 10, 2003
                                    --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "ryderc1" <ryderc1@a...> wrote:
                                    > I think "field" testing every scope prior to shipment is a good
                                    idea.

                                    Probably so, but I don't think it is a big deal either if something
                                    got mixed up. I believe that I have heard of at least one other apo,
                                    by another maker, that had some elements reversed and had to be sent
                                    back to be corrected. It passed on the interferometer because the
                                    interferometer only tests in one wavelength.

                                    Bill
                                  • yuri80226
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
                                      wrote:

                                      > What could be the reason? I've heard elsewhere that it is possible
                                      > have a mistakenly wrong or incorrectly installed element in an APO
                                      > refractor be able to pass an interferometer test for wavefront
                                      > correction, and then have the color error problem pop up in a
                                      visual star test.

                                      - That would be cool to turn around the middle lens and put the beer
                                      instead of oil between lenses... ;-)

                                      The scope in question is here, we have good forecast for Friday night
                                      for testing, after that we will remove the objective and test it on
                                      the bench.

                                      I figure you guys are probably too busy to star test every
                                      > telescope outside.

                                      - It is not with us - it is the weather in Colorado, that is why we
                                      had a plan in the beginning of April to move to Florida.

                                      Regards, Yuri
                                    • ngc73312001
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 11, 2003
                                        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:

                                        > - That would be cool to turn around the middle lens and put the beer
                                        > instead of oil between lenses... ;-)

                                        > Regards, Yuri

                                        Yuri, you should stop your practice of assembling 140's
                                        during Octoberfest, that German beer hasn't been tested
                                        for light transmission! ... Or, at the very least, try
                                        drinking some de-alcoholized brands - then you can at least
                                        get the lenses in the right way around.

                                        Neil
                                        140 #11
                                      • mihalco
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 23, 2003
                                          I haven't seen a response to this thread in a while. What was the
                                          final verdict on the issue of color in this scope?
                                          Thanks,
                                          Kurt

                                          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:
                                          > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "etherealnumber99"
                                          <ratboy99@a...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > What could be the reason? I've heard elsewhere that it is
                                          possible
                                          > > have a mistakenly wrong or incorrectly installed element in an
                                          APO
                                          > > refractor be able to pass an interferometer test for wavefront
                                          > > correction, and then have the color error problem pop up in a
                                          > visual star test.
                                          >
                                          > - That would be cool to turn around the middle lens and put the
                                          beer
                                          > instead of oil between lenses... ;-)
                                          >
                                          > The scope in question is here, we have good forecast for Friday
                                          night
                                          > for testing, after that we will remove the objective and test it on
                                          > the bench.
                                          >
                                          > I figure you guys are probably too busy to star test every
                                          > > telescope outside.
                                          >
                                          > - It is not with us - it is the weather in Colorado, that is why we
                                          > had a plan in the beginning of April to move to Florida.
                                          >
                                          > Regards, Yuri
                                        • Herb York
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 23, 2003
                                            They are white.
                                            Right Yuri?
                                            <g>
                                            Herb

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 23, 2003
                                              --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Herb York" <herb@b...> wrote:
                                              > They are white.
                                              > Right Yuri?
                                              > <g>
                                              > Herb

                                              Herb,
                                              Please check one only:
                                              a) we answer the above question first and completing second runs scopes
                                              later
                                              b) completing second run first and answer your question later

                                              Yuri
                                              ;-)
                                            • bsledz
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 24, 2003
                                                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:
                                                > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Herb York" <herb@b...> wrote:
                                                > > They are white.
                                                > > Right Yuri?
                                                > > <g>
                                                > > Herb
                                                >
                                                > Herb,
                                                > Please check one only:
                                                > a) we answer the above question first and completing second runs scopes
                                                > later
                                                > b) completing second run first and answer your question later
                                                >
                                                > Yuri
                                                > ;-)
                                                Plus I know Yuri is smart enough to call the owner and tell him what
                                                happened before he blabs to a much of folks on the net.
                                                Brian S.
                                              • yuri80226
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 19, 2003
                                                  --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:

                                                  > As I said in my earlier post the scope #018 will be checked in the shop soon
                                                  > and claim about color in it may be correct.

                                                  The above message was posted in the beginning of September..., we were
                                                  able to do test last week and I just uploaded file with Color shift
                                                  measurements of different actual lenses from two runs of APO140.
                                                  The scope "in question" #018 was tested also and showed a bid more color
                                                  shift that all others and the lenses was replaced for this scope.
                                                  Even having slightly wider color shit than an average, the #018 was a very
                                                  good performer on the moon and planets - see my post #3025.
                                                  Regards, Yuri