Re: Extending teh focuser of the TEC140

  • gjwcac
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013
      Tim,

      Look at the photo -- Ferran has about four inches of T2 extension tubes between the FT3545 and the heavy filter wheel and camera. It doesn't matter how tight the focuser or collet is adjusted, this setup will have some droop.

      Jim M.

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Tim Khan <timkhan@...> wrote:

      > I dont have any issue with my 4535 focuser holding 8 lbs of camera and filter-wheel. I have the older focuser with the button socket screw that you can adjust the pressure against the drawtube and remove any slop.
      >
      > Regarding the mount, do you have data collection for periodic error. Does it drift at a different rate for the first minute then settle immediately after a slew? If so this could be a bearing/housing/preload issue on your dec axis of your mount and may not be attributed to the scope and focuser.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • ferranmazzanti
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
        Hi Jim,

        it could be as you say, but let me tell you that the filter wheel + ccd is about 1 kg only (less than 2.5 lbs) which should be peanuts for the FT3545 focuser. The TEC has such a large backfocus that I want to think this has already been taken into account when dessigning it... Yuri?

        But of course that could be the source of problems -or not. I'm debugging my whole system, from pier to topmost guiderscope rings, so go figure :(

        Best regards and thanks,

        Ferran.

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
          Ferran,

          The FT3545 (if adjusted correctly) is not the source of the droop. My guess is the smaller diameter t-extensions (and the three threaded connections) are bending under the weight of the camera and filter wheel. For a given length and weight, the extensions will bend ~ 17x more than the focuser draw tube, and that number doesn't include any mechanical flex at the threaded joints.

          Jim M.

          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "ferranmazzanti" <Ferran.Mazzanti@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > it could be as you say, but let me tell you that the filter wheel + ccd is about 1 kg only (less than 2.5 lbs) which should be peanuts for the FT3545 focuser. The TEC has such a large backfocus that I want to think this has already been taken into account when dessigning it... Yuri?
          >
          > But of course that could be the source of problems -or not. I'm debugging my whole system, from pier to topmost guiderscope rings, so go figure :(
          >
          > Best regards and thanks,
          >
          > Ferran.
          >
          > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "gjwcac" <trimil@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tim,
          > >
          > > Look at the photo -- Ferran has about four inches of T2 extension tubes between the FT3545 and the heavy filter wheel and camera. It doesn't matter how tight the focuser or collet is adjusted, this setup will have some droop.
          > >
          > > Jim M.
          > >
          > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Tim Khan <timkhan@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I dont have any issue with my 4535 focuser holding 8 lbs of camera and filter-wheel. I have the older focuser with the button socket screw that you can adjust the pressure against the drawtube and remove any slop.
          > > >
          > > > Regarding the mount, do you have data collection for periodic error. Does it drift at a different rate for the first minute then settle immediately after a slew? If so this could be a bearing/housing/preload issue on your dec axis of your mount and may not be attributed to the scope and focuser.
          > > >

          > > > ________________________________

        • topboxman2000
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 26, 2013
            Maybe this will help: