Re: The Sun with a TEC140

  • Michael S
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 23 8:14 AM
      I love the video, absolutely gorgeous and extremely interesting.
      By the way, after viewing your photos a couple of years ago I was moved to buy a Baader Herschel wedge, and I've gotten so much great use out of it. So, thanks!

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "lmbuck2000" <lmbuck2000@...> wrote:

      > very nicely done!
      >
      > what focal length were you using when you took the images?
      >
      > Lee
      >
      > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "alexandra4sun" <alexandra4@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have had my TEC140 for 2 years now and loving every single minute with it. I image the Sun 99% of the time and I just wanted to share an animation I took on Saturday with you. I used a Baader Herschel wedge and DMK41 camera and of course the TEC140. The telescope consistently gives me superb views of granulation with high contrast and is just a joy to use. Thank you Yuri for making such a great scope!
      > >
      > > The animation is of AR11726 over a period of 1 hour.
      > >
      > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra4/8667723565/sizes/o/in/photostream/
      > >
      > > Thanks for looking.
      > > Alexandra

    • Anthony
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 23 8:23 AM
        Alexandra,

        That is an excellent image!

        I was also interested in the acquisition of the Baader Herschel Wedge but never pursued it strictly due to the fact I was never impressed with the sample images I have seen and especially those from Baader in the accompanying advertising material.

        Now I see your excellent result (!) and which is what I would have expected to see from Baader in particular when promoting their wedge.

        Thanks for restoring my confidence in the Baader Herschel Wedge and, by extension, all of the photographic wedges.

        Time for me to revisit the Baader Herschel Wedge for use with my AP160 refractor!

        Anthony.

        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "alexandra4sun" <alexandra4@...> wrote:

        > I have had my TEC140 for 2 years now and loving every single minute with it. I image the Sun 99% of the time and I just wanted to share an animation I took on Saturday with you. I used a Baader Herschel wedge and DMK41 camera and of course the TEC140. The telescope consistently gives me superb views of granulation with high contrast and is just a joy to use. Thank you Yuri for making such a great scope!
        >
        > The animation is of AR11726 over a period of 1 hour.
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra4/8667723565/sizes/o/in/photostream/
        >
        > Thanks for looking.
        > Alexandra

      • Daniel Borcard
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 23 8:24 AM
          This is a great animation Alexandra!!

          Apart from the scope you must indeed have a superb seeing. I succeed
          from time to time in imaging the granulation, but never with this
          fine resolution.

          Question: did you use Astro-Solar foils before using the Herschel
          wedge? I am considering the wedge too, but I wonder if the difference
          justifies the price.

          Thank you for any input on this point!

          Daniel

          --
          Daniel Borcard
          Observatoire du Geai Bleu
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 23 11:50 AM
            Thanks Lee, I was using a Televue 5x Powermate so f35.

            Alexandra

            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "lmbuck2000" <lmbuck2000@...> wrote:

            > very nicely done!
            >
            > what focal length were you using when you took the images?
            >
            > Lee
            >
            > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "alexandra4sun" <alexandra4@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have had my TEC140 for 2 years now and loving every single minute with it. I image the Sun 99% of the time and I just wanted to share an animation I took on Saturday with you. I used a Baader Herschel wedge and DMK41 camera and of course the TEC140. The telescope consistently gives me superb views of granulation with high contrast and is just a joy to use. Thank you Yuri for making such a great scope!
            > >
            > > The animation is of AR11726 over a period of 1 hour.
            > >
            > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra4/8667723565/sizes/o/in/photostream/
            > >
            > > Thanks for looking.
            > > Alexandra

          • alexandra4sun
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 23 11:57 AM
              Thanks everyone for all your encouragement. Yes I have been having some very good seeing recently, for the last 3 Saturdays in a row. I do think it is the telescope that makes the difference though as well.
              I have never used Baader foil but others have used both and say the contrast and clarity through a wedge is far superior. If you can afford it then I would definitely recommend it.

              Kind regards
              Alexandra

              --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Borcard <daniel.borcard@...> wrote:

              > This is a great animation Alexandra!!
              >
              > Apart from the scope you must indeed have a superb seeing. I succeed
              > from time to time in imaging the granulation, but never with this
              > fine resolution.
              >
              > Question: did you use Astro-Solar foils before using the Herschel
              > wedge? I am considering the wedge too, but I wonder if the difference
              > justifies the price.
              >
              > Thank you for any input on this point!
              >
              > Daniel
              >
              > >I have had my TEC140 for 2 years now and loving every single minute
              > >with it. I image the Sun 99% of the time and I just wanted to share
              > >an animation I took on Saturday with you. I used a Baader Herschel
              > >wedge and DMK41 camera and of course the TEC140. The telescope
              > >consistently gives me superb views of granulation with high contrast
              > >and is just a joy to use. Thank you Yuri for making such a great
              > >scope!
              > >
              > >The animation is of AR11726 over a period of 1 hour.
              > >
              > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra4/8667723565/sizes/o/in/photostream/
              > >
              > >Thanks for looking.
              > >Alexandra
              >

              > --
              > Daniel Borcard
              > Observatoire du Geai Bleu
              > Recent images: http://biol09.biol.umontreal.ca/borcardd/astro/imagesastro/?M=D
              > Web site (in urgent need of update):
              > http://biol09.biol.umontreal.ca/borcardd/astro/astro.html
              > Clear Sky Chart: http://cleardarksky.com/c/ObGBlQCkey.html?1

            • Bernard Miller
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 23 3:10 PM

                Very cool Alexandra.

                Bernard

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 23 3:23 PM
                  Thanks again Alexandra!

                  I have one more question: the Baader wedge comes either as a visual or a photographic package depending on the filters included. Which filters do you use?

                  Daniel

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 24 2:09 AM
                    Hi Daniel, I bought the photographic version as I didn't already own any ND filters. It does depend on the sensitivity of your camera but I found that the ND1.8 let in too much light but the ND3 far too little. I found a nice balance by using the ND1.8 + the ND0.6. Because I had the range of filters I could try out which worked best. However this will be different if your telescope is larger or you had a more sensitive camera, but for the TEC140 + DMK41 this combination seems to work best for me.

                    Regards
                    Alexandra