NGC5907 with TEC160FL vs. 20inch... :-)

  • lmbuck2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
      i have not been able to image since May due to travel or weather (AZ monsoon season). i was digging through some old data and forgot about this one. NGC 5907. when i looked at the data i wondered why did i take so much of it?! then i remembered i was trying to capture that tidal stream that showed up (photoshop up?? :-) in R Jay Gabany's brilliant APOD of this image.

      i took 8 hrs of lum (24x20min) and 3hr each of RGB (12x15min) back in May with my TEC160FL and ST-8300M camera (significantly less sensitive than the 16803 chip used in Gabany's APOD)

      i was pleasantly surprised to see SOME suggestion of the tidal stream. i was not inclined to stretch further otherwise ruin the rest of the image (and masking just seems too much like 'painting' it in to me)

      anyway, not bad for 160mm vs. 20in RCOS.

      http://tinyurl.com/97oycgk

      Lee
    • gjwcac
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
        Lee,

        What a great effort. The stream is quite clear to me and viewing an inverted image makes it even more obvious. The pros like to claim that a half-meter is the minimum aperture for research, but there are many examples like yours where smaller scopes can generate useful data.

        Jim M.

        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "lmbuck2000" <lmbuck2000@...> wrote:

        > i have not been able to image since May due to travel or weather (AZ monsoon season). i was digging through some old data and forgot about this one. NGC 5907. when i looked at the data i wondered why did i take so much of it?! then i remembered i was trying to capture that tidal stream that showed up (photoshop up?? :-) in R Jay Gabany's brilliant APOD of this image.
        >
        > i took 8 hrs of lum (24x20min) and 3hr each of RGB (12x15min) back in May with my TEC160FL and ST-8300M camera (significantly less sensitive than the 16803 chip used in Gabany's APOD)
        >
        > i was pleasantly surprised to see SOME suggestion of the tidal stream. i was not inclined to stretch further otherwise ruin the rest of the image (and masking just seems too much like 'painting' it in to me)
        >
        > anyway, not bad for 160mm vs. 20in RCOS.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/97oycgk
        >
        > Lee

      • Mike C
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
          Your image is beautiful, Lee. The tidal stream is obvious!

          On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM, gjwcac <trimil@...> wrote:

          Lee,

          What a great effort. The stream is quite clear to me and viewing an inverted image makes it even more obvious. The pros like to claim that a half-meter is the minimum aperture for research, but there are many examples like yours where smaller scopes can generate useful data.

          Jim M.

          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "lmbuck2000" <lmbuck2000@...> wrote:

          > i have not been able to image since May due to travel or weather (AZ monsoon season). i was digging through some old data and forgot about this one. NGC 5907. when i looked at the data i wondered why did i take so much of it?! then i remembered i was trying to capture that tidal stream that showed up (photoshop up?? :-) in R Jay Gabany's brilliant APOD of this image.
          >
          > i took 8 hrs of lum (24x20min) and 3hr each of RGB (12x15min) back in May with my TEC160FL and ST-8300M camera (significantly less sensitive than the 16803 chip used in Gabany's APOD)
          >
          > i was pleasantly surprised to see SOME suggestion of the tidal stream. i was not inclined to stretch further otherwise ruin the rest of the image (and masking just seems too much like 'painting' it in to me)
          >
          > anyway, not bad for 160mm vs. 20in RCOS.
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/97oycgk
          >
          > Lee

        • Anthony
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2012
            Excellent work, Lee!

            Anthony.

            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "lmbuck2000" <lmbuck2000@...> wrote:

            > i have not been able to image since May due to travel or weather (AZ monsoon season). i was digging through some old data and forgot about this one. NGC 5907. when i looked at the data i wondered why did i take so much of it?! then i remembered i was trying to capture that tidal stream that showed up (photoshop up?? :-) in R Jay Gabany's brilliant APOD of this image.
            >
            > i took 8 hrs of lum (24x20min) and 3hr each of RGB (12x15min) back in May with my TEC160FL and ST-8300M camera (significantly less sensitive than the 16803 chip used in Gabany's APOD)
            >
            > i was pleasantly surprised to see SOME suggestion of the tidal stream. i was not inclined to stretch further otherwise ruin the rest of the image (and masking just seems too much like 'painting' it in to me)
            >
            > anyway, not bad for 160mm vs. 20in RCOS.
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/97oycgk
            >
            > Lee

          • lmbuck2000
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 4, 2012
              thanks all for the nice comments.

              Lee

              --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony" <ayiomami@...> wrote:

              > Excellent work, Lee!
              >
              > Anthony.

            • Yuri
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2012
                - nice image, Lee. You may consider to try our new 500RCC (20") also.
                It would opposite way: 500mm vs 160mm.
                Regards, Yuri

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2012
                  PLEASE... send one my way! :-)