Re: TEC 140, Mark V binoviewer... recommended eyepiece set

  • jwaveuk
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2011
      Yes, quite agree with Mark that the UO abbe orthos are excellent value and, given that buying pairs of eyepieces soon gets expensive, that's a real consideration. I owned a complete set of the UOs and also tried the (rather oddly coated) 'planetary' versions. I've not used them in the binoviewer. They were sharp with good transmission and relatively reflection free, but the Taks - which I bought subsequently are certainly better. More expensive though! John

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "michaelsch88" <michaelsch88@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm looking for eyepiece sets that work very well with the TEC 140 scope and Baader Mark V binoviewer. With the binoviewer, I'll also have the Barcon barlow, and the 1.25x and 1.70x glaspath compensators. I'd really like to get EPs that are parfocal with each other, although it isn;t totally necessary. I'll be using a DM-6, which is non driven, so I'd like to have EPs with a relatively wide field of view to keep objects in the frame of view for more time, if possible. I'd like to have a range of eyepieces for different uses... moon and planets, double stars, some dsos.
      >
      > I'd also like to focus on eyepieces that are available to buy new, rather than those which I'd need to hunt down.
      >
      > So, a couple of combinations I've been considering are:
      >
      > televue 24 panoptics, televue 15mm plossls, televue 11mm plossls and televue 16mm T5 Naglers.
      >
      > 3 or 4 pairs of brandons (which ones...??)
      > With the brandons, I'm a little concerned about the FOV, and also that they wouldn't be parfocal with the 24 panoptics (I believe), and the 24 panoptics have been very highly recommended to me. However, I know they also have a lot of fans.
      >

      > I'd really like to have good magnification while binoviewing on planets, but I'm not sure if a 6mm pair or similar would degrade the image too much, or if it they would even be necessary considering that I'll have the barlow?
      >
      > Anyway, if anyone is using the TEC 140 and the Mark V binoviewer and has really enjoyed using certain eyepiece sets, I'd really appreciate hearing about them.
      >
      > By the way, the image recently posted by Marco of Sharpless 308 is absolutely amazing.

    • michaelsch88
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2011
        I just wanted to thank you very much for the comment! In fact I may end up trying both the Taks and the UOs, among others, as the scope will be used by my colleagues as well as myself, so I think there will be some experimentation based on different people's preferences and ideas. Thus all the suggestions here have been really helpful.