Re: Thoughts concerning Plastic collet use for Solar work

  • alexandra4sun
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
      Thanks Andreas!
      It came this morning! what a beauty it looks in the case. I am working from home today so I have to work and just stare at it rather than use it. I can't wait to look through it, it is HUGE compared to my 2 PST telescopes. Now I just have to save up again for my hydrogen alpha filter set.

      Kind regards
      Alexandra

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "AndreasBraun" <andydj5xp@...> wrote:

      > Hello Alexandra,
      >
      > congrats to your new TEC140 and the Baader Herschel Wedge. You'll be delighted about this extraordinary combo.
      >
      > I'm using it for more than five years now with the genuine plastic collar and I've never (NEVER) faced any problems. Years ago we used to have vivid discussions about the plastic collar - Chris Lord will remember -, and if you follow the advice to always introduce the 2" barrel of the wedge first into the focuser before pointing the scope to the sun there will be no problems whatsoever.
      >
      > And: from the actual activity of sun it will be a perfect starting point.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Andreas
      >
      > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "alexandra4sun" <alexandra4@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Thanks everyone, hopefully my TEC140 will arrive tomorrow and I shall have a good look at this collet and measure it compared to the Herschel wedge metal collar. I am sure it will be fine if others have said they have had no problem. I am glad it is easy to change if it isn't, as me and tool kits don't really get on!
      > >
      > > Bob, I don't think there is a problem getting hold of wedges from Baader. My local telescope shop ordered me one and it came in a week. Also a few others from Cloudy Nights forum have also had no problem purchasing one. I am in the UK though so I am not sure about the USA. I get the telescope tomorrow so I haven't seen anything yet but I am looking forward to it (although I am more of a solar nutcase than a night time one).
      > >
      > > Kind regards
      > > Alexandra

      > > > removal and replacement.
      > > >
      > > > it is extremely easy and requires a single tiny allen wrench

    • Chris Lord
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2011
        Check out SolarSpectrum.