Near freezing observations

  • Yuri
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
      It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
      And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
      Regards, Yuri
    • Dan Heimdahl
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011

        Hi Yuri.

        Before bring it inside.

        1.       Lens cap on.

        2.       Put scope in carrying case.

        Then the cold lens cap and the cold carrying case to some extent shall  even out (longer warm-up), the difference between outside and inside temp I think.

        This has worked for me down to -15C quite good. Not sure about -25C though.

        Perhaps also one of those thin shining rescue blankets can even out more if one raps the scope in this before put it in the carrying case.

        Hmm, come to think of it, when I put the order for the 140 I did not order the carrying case!

        BR
        /Dan

        It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
        And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
        Regards, Yuri

      • MarkC
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
          Yuri,

          I believe that Mike's scope is in an observatory and after observing it is left there. (not moved inside)

          Mark Clegg
          Pittsboro,N.C.

          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

          > It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
          > And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
          > Regards, Yuri

        • Carl Wellman
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011

            I believe you are right Mark, Mike should call his TEC200ED the TEC200 icicle  ;>)

            Carl

            Yuri,

            I believe that Mike's scope is in an observatory and after observing it is left there. (not moved inside)

            Mark Clegg
            Pittsboro,N.C.

            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

            > It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
            > And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
            > Regards, Yuri

          • Mike C
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
              You are correct Mark. I had been thinking my scope had only been down to -32F but Yuri may be right about -40F , my day job fills my brain to overflow with minutia.

              The 200 stays in the obs and I wouldn't be too tempted to bring it inside from that temp, even in a cold case? I think I'd still throw a blanket over it when it came in. And I wouldn't set it on my heated floor.

              I brought my TMB in and out all the time in a scopeguard case with Ethafoam padding((insulation)) and never had a problem with temp swings of 75F or 80F. I would always wait 12 hrs+ before opening the case. The scope would still be cool to touch.

              I dont have a case for my TEC200, so it has never been brought in when its temp was different than indoor temp.

              Mike Clemens

              On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 2:06 PM, MarkC <Mark63clegg@...> wrote:

              Yuri,

              I believe that Mike's scope is in an observatory and after observing it is left there. (not moved inside)

              Mark Clegg
              Pittsboro,N.C.

            • gjwcac
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2011
                So far my coldest evening with the scope uncapped was -7F. I use a Kendrick strap heater at the base of the dew cap to keep the lens frost free because as the night progresses, anything exposed to the sky eventually frosts over.

                When it's time to shut down, I set the scope horizontal and leave the dew cap extended with the cover off. If it's very humid or extremely icy in the observatory, I'll also leave the dew strap on until everything dries out the next day. On one occasion I forgot to run the heater and the next morning the lens of the 180 was covered with drops of condensation. Fortunately it was all on the outside of the front element and it cleaned off easily.

                Jim M.

                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

                > It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
                > And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
                > Regards, Yuri

              • lmbuck2000
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                  i don't bring it in the house. I put it in the case and leave it in the unheated garage. stays nicely chilled :-)

                  Lee
                  ---
                  AstroPhotos: http://tinyurl.com/MySkyPhotos

                  --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

                  > It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
                  > And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
                  > Regards, Yuri

                • Yuri
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                    Is anyone using hairdryer to remove the dew if it setup on the lens already?
                    Yuri

                    --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "gjwcac" <trimil@...> wrote:

                    > So far my coldest evening with the scope uncapped was -7F. I use a Kendrick strap heater at the base of the dew cap to keep the lens frost free because as the night progresses, anything exposed to the sky eventually frosts over.
                    >
                    > When it's time to shut down, I set the scope horizontal and leave the dew cap extended with the cover off. If it's very humid or extremely icy in the observatory, I'll also leave the dew strap on until everything dries out the next day. On one occasion I forgot to run the heater and the next morning the lens of the 180 was covered with drops of condensation. Fortunately it was all on the outside of the front element and it cleaned off easily.
                    >
                    > Jim M.
                    >

                    > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
                    > > And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
                    > > Regards, Yuri

                  • tdavis011
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

                      > Is anyone using hairdryer to remove the dew if it setup on the lens already?
                      > Yuri

                      I'll do that, but with the hair dryer at a low heat setting. In my
                      case, I keep the scope setup on a set of JMI Wheely Bars, and roll it
                      in an out of an unheated garage. I found one night that putting the
                      dewcap back on the dewshield at the end of the night actually caused
                      the lens to dew up after I brought it in (it was clean before that).
                      Since then, I would put the dewcap back on in the morning, with no
                      problems.

                      I don't like to leave the moisture on the glass after it dews up,
                      since there is a real acid rain issue in NC (which will also be in
                      the dew deposited on the lens). To me, far better to clean a lens
                      that has had dew on it, than to allow the dewspots to stay on the
                      lens. We've had acid rain ruin the paint on two cars we've owned,
                      can't be good for the coatings on a lens.

                      Tom
                    • gjwcac
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                        I wouldn't apply air from a hair dryer or any kind of direct heat. It's much easier to touch the edge of a cloth or tissue to the lens and blot off the droplets.

                        Jim M.

                        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

                        > Is anyone using hairdryer to remove the dew if it setup on the lens already?
                        > Yuri

                      • Jeffrey A. Steinberg
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                          Trivia:  at what temp does degrees F = degrees C.  This one is fairly easy for you math types.

                          --Jeffrey
                          ------------------------------
                          Jeffrey A. Steinberg
                          914-374-7503

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 4, 2011
                            -40

                            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey A. Steinberg" <jeffreys48.groups@...> wrote:

                            > Trivia: at what temp does degrees F = degrees C. This one is fairly easy for you math types.
                            >

                            > --Jeffrey
                            > ------------------------------
                            > Jeffrey A. Steinberg
                            > 914-374-7503
                            >
                            > On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:43 AM, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
                            > > And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
                            > > Regards, Yuri

                          • Carl Wellman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 5, 2011

                              -40 they are the same   Mike should know that, he probably experiences that temp every winter where he's at.

                              Carl

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 5, 2011
                                Yup!!  Yuri actually gave the answer away, I didn't see that until after I pushed send.

                                --Jeffrey
                                ------------------------------
                                Jeffrey A. Steinberg
                                914-374-7503

                                On Feb 5, 2011, at 12:36 AM, "lmbuck2000" <lmbuck2000@...> wrote:

                                -40

                                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey A. Steinberg" <jeffreys48.groups@...> wrote:

                                > Trivia: at what temp does degrees F = degrees C. This one is fairly easy for you math types.
                                >

                                > --Jeffrey
                                > ------------------------------
                                > Jeffrey A. Steinberg
                                > 914-374-7503
                                >
                                > On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:43 AM, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > It was -25C(-13F), -27C(-15F)for a couple of night. Is anyone who observing at low temperatures? I remember Mike C. set up a record by observing with APO200ED at -40 (C, F) in Alaska.
                                > > And if so how do you keep your optics from dewing after bringing it inside?
                                > > Regards, Yuri

                              • Jeffrey A. Steinberg
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 5, 2011
                                  Wow, that's a challenge!

                                  --Jeffrey
                                  Jeffrey A. Steinberg
                                  914-374-7503

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 6, 2011
                                    The optics work at those temperatures, and the observer can layer-up to withstand the cold (for a while anyway), but the real problems at these extremes are with electronics and mechanical devices. Simple things like power cords, USB cables, or grease become petrified. I had a USB hub in my setup that stopped working when the temperature fell below 5F. No fault of the manufacturer as it was specified only to 32F, but it was a real head-scratcher to isolate.

                                    Jim M.