Re: Finder system and diagonal

  • albireo13
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      Steve,

      AP products are top-notch. I use the 2" Maxbright and it is great.

      Rob
      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "sryde2000" <sryde@o...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > After much thinking on what would be best on my TEC 140 when it
      > arrives, I went with the Astro Physics 8 x 50 finder with the
      > illuminated reticle (comes with a built-in dewcap) and the Quick
      > Release finder bracket.
      >
      > Also decided on the AP 2" MaxBright with the 1.25" adapter for
      those
      > 1.25" eyepieces.
      >
      > I will be interested in how these products work. I have not used
      AP
      > accessories before but they look good.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Steve
    • Doug Culbertson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        I would say that those are both good choices. I used to have a
        Maxbright back when I had an AP 30 EDT and liked it quite a bit. It
        is really top notch, both optically and mechanically. AP doesn't put
        out any junk!

        This time around I decided to take a chance and, based upon reviews
        I have seen, went with the William Optic 2nd Generation 1/10 Lamda
        diagonal. I couldn't resist trying this diagonal out, especially at
        the special price of $99. A couple of weeks ago an observing buddy
        and I compared the WO diagonal to his AP Maxbright and could detect
        absolutely no difference between the two visually. Brightness was
        the same, both were very sharp and gave identical images. The scope
        they were being tested on was a Takahashi Mewlon 210. I don't think
        that I will be disappointed with it in my 140 either. The WO uses
        compression rings in both the diagonal and the 1.25" adapter. It is
        really a nice looking diagonal, but I think that it is a notch below
        the AP Maxbright in its "feel".

        FWIW, I ended up choosing the TEC finder, but it was a real toss up
        between the AP and the TEC. In the end I decided that I didn't need
        the illuminator, and the finder is white so it should match my 140
        pretty well, and I figured that Yuri doesn't sell any junk either! I
        will be using the AP QR bracket.

        Doug
        Midway, FL