Re: TEC 200 F/8 Fluorite

  • glasspusher2001
    Message 1 of 41 , Jul 2, 2010
      Mark

      I have noticed the same thing, the Ethos have such great coatings that they rival the simpler design eyepieces in contrast and almost in central sharpness. I grow to like them more each time I use them.

      Another I was thinking of are the 3 element Zeiss 25mm microscope adapted eyepieces from APM. These might be logical mates for the Zeiss Ortho II 25mm challenged sets.

      Don

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "MarkC" <Mark63clegg@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I currently use the ZAO II's, backed up by the Celestron Ultimas.
      >
      > The ZAO II's are wonderful, but I really wish that a 25mm had been included in the set.. even with the extra cost it would have added I would still have purchased 2 sets. I use the 16mm most, while using the 10mm - 4mm sparingly. On the flip side, I have a pair of Zeiss 25mm eyepieces bought from APM years ago, they have a 54 degree AFOV, three elements, with fine diopter adjustments on each eyepiece. These are my most used eyepieces while binoviewing. They are very sharp and contrasty, barlow with no issues.. they never disappoint while viewing.
      >
      > The TMB monocentrics are also great but are specialized for mainly lunar and planetary with the 30 degree AFOV. I sold my 6-10mm pairs recently, kept the 12-16mm as they are really great and the 12mm seems to fill in the void between the 16mm and 10mm ZAO nicely. Might sell the 16mm TMB's in the near future.
      >
      > The U.O. orthos are the best bang for the buck overall and are available.. They show slightly less contrast than the others, but are very sharp (and to the edge as well).
      >
      > The Celestron Ultimas are my favorite (lower cost) alternative; they are similar to the Brandons, and hold a sharp FOV to the edge where the Brandons drop off near the edge of the field. The brandons are great eyepieces if one can put up with the softness near the edge.. and they show no color at all through my scope. The Ultima 30mm and the 18mm are very very nice, and are available on Amart often.
      >
      > Since you mentioned the Ethos, I will have to say that for single eye observations, they are absolutely unbelievable in my 200 ED (have not tried them for binoviewing.. yet) , they are razor sharp across the entire field, deliver great color correction (except near the eyepiece field stop), and great light throughput. I said the first time I used them, and will continue to say that when viewing through any of the Ethos, it is almost like adding an inch of aperture to the scope visually.. I prefer binoviewing for the comfort and 3D experience at the eyepiece.. but the Ethos brings out every last little bit that my 200ED can show..
      >
      > Whenever I want to see the very best image available through the 8" APO observing DSO's and planetary, I use the Ethos and one eye. Observing the moon... well the AP/Baader bino and the Zeiss eyepieces are always the first choice.. have to see to believe.
      >
      > Mark Clegg
      > Pittsboro, N.C.
      >

      > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "glasspusher2001" <glasspusher2001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What eyepieces are suitable for binoviewing?
      > > I have an Ethos 13mm and one set of Zeiss orthos II but another set would be rather extreme!
      > > I see the Supermonocentrics are being brought but but at much higher costs.
      > > If they didn't sell well at $160 how will they do at $375+?

    • MarkC
      Message 41 of 41 , Jul 16, 2010
        Don,

        I did get out for two nights and tested the 10mm Ethos against the 10mm ZAOII.

        Quick to the point.. the ZAOII's were best at sharpness and contrast..period. They were especially superior on the brighter objects such as the moon, Jupiter, brighter stars, etc.

        Not to bash to Ethos though.. they were also great with contrast and sharpness, but I did see some color on the brighter objects and therefore prefer the ZAOII's overall. And I do not like the Ethos while viewing the moon. That said.. There is something very special about the Ethos considering the amount of glass that is present in them.

        Sorry for the delayed response on the eyepiece review.. I have had a couple of family members sick in the past week and the internet has taken somewhat of a back seat during this time.

        Mark