Re: Back focus distance for TEC160 FF

  • guy7754
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
      Hi Yuri (and the team)

      Me again, I got in touch with Don Goldmann (Astrodon) today regarding the MMOAG and we have progressed!

      However I am back to you tonight as a critical point to select the right adaptor is the precise distance to respect between the FF and the focal plane of the imaging camera. You told me "it is aapr. 40mm", could you pls make it a bit sharper?

      Thanks a lot
      Guy

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

      > - yes it is harder one, since I am not familiar with MMOAG. The key thing is to know the light pass distance in that item, and also type of attachment (flange, thread, 2" barrel, etc.).
      > Regards,
      > Yuri
      >
      > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "guy7754" <guy.aubouy@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Thank you very much for your fast reply Yuri.
      > >
      > > Now another one a bit harder:
      > >
      > > If instead of a direct FF to STL11000 attachment, I choose to use an Astrodon MMOAG, knowing the 40mm, can you tell me what are the rings to use, on the one hand between the FF and the MMOAG and, on the other hand between the MMOAG and the STL11000?
      > >
      > > Optional question : are these adapters available from you?
      > >
      > > Best regards, Guy
      > >

      > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Guy,
      > > > it is aapr. 40mm and we have adapter for direct attachment of tHE FF to STL11000.
      > > > Best regards, Yuri
      > > > 303 273 9322

    • mihalco
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
        I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
        Kurt

        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "guy7754" <guy.aubouy@...> wrote:

        > Hi Yuri (and the team)
        >
        > Me again, I got in touch with Don Goldmann (Astrodon) today regarding the MMOAG and we have progressed!
        >
        > However I am back to you tonight as a critical point to select the right adaptor is the precise distance to respect between the FF and the focal plane of the imaging camera. You told me "it is aapr. 40mm", could you pls make it a bit sharper?
        >
        > Thanks a lot
        > Guy
        >
        > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@> wrote:
        > >
        > > - yes it is harder one, since I am not familiar with MMOAG. The key thing is to know the light pass distance in that item, and also type of attachment (flange, thread, 2" barrel, etc.).
        > > Regards,
        > > Yuri
        > >
        > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "guy7754" <guy.aubouy@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Thank you very much for your fast reply Yuri.
        > > >
        > > > Now another one a bit harder:
        > > >
        > > > If instead of a direct FF to STL11000 attachment, I choose to use an Astrodon MMOAG, knowing the 40mm, can you tell me what are the rings to use, on the one hand between the FF and the MMOAG and, on the other hand between the MMOAG and the STL11000?
        > > >
        > > > Optional question : are these adapters available from you?
        > > >
        > > > Best regards, Guy

      • guy7754
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
          Thanks Kurt for jumping into this post!

          Well,... however, I'm a bit lost now... what are the 40mm regarding the 85mm...?

          Note that I prefer much more the 85mm (so much room for what I need to place there : MMOAG, FW8 STL,...), but is 85 the value I need to take into account?

          Please don't leave me in the dark. ;-)

          Tks,
          Guy

          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@...> wrote:

          > I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
          > Kurt
          >
          > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "guy7754" <guy.aubouy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Yuri (and the team)
          > >
          > > Me again, I got in touch with Don Goldmann (Astrodon) today regarding the MMOAG and we have progressed!
          > >
          > > However I am back to you tonight as a critical point to select the right adaptor is the precise distance to respect between the FF and the focal plane of the imaging camera. You told me "it is aapr. 40mm", could you pls make it a bit sharper?
          > >
          > > Thanks a lot
          > > Guy
          > >
          > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > - yes it is harder one, since I am not familiar with MMOAG. The key thing is to know the light pass distance in that item, and also type of attachment (flange, thread, 2" barrel, etc.).
          > > > Regards,
          > > > Yuri

        • mihalco
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
            Hi Guy,
            There may be some confusion of terms. I don't think back focus is the same thing as the design spacing between the FF and focal plane. Take a look at this SBIG drawing:
            http://www.sbig.com/pdffiles/2400_1001_BASIC_ASSY.pdf
            Dimension A gives the mechanical and optical path from the face of the mounting surface to the focal plane. If you're using filters, this is 1.470" (37.3mm). For correct spacing with the TEC FF (85mm), the MMOAG plus adapters would need to be 47.7 mm (85mm - 37.3mm). If you are using the bigger filter wheel, then you need to use the dimensions for it. Hope this helps.
            Kurt

            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "guy7754" <guy.aubouy@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Kurt for jumping into this post!
            >

            > Well,... however, I'm a bit lost now... what are the 40mm regarding the 85mm...?
            >
            > Note that I prefer much more the 85mm (so much room for what I need to place there : MMOAG, FW8 STL,...), but is 85 the value I need to take into account?
            >
            > Please don't leave me in the dark. ;-)
            >
            > Tks,
            > Guy
            >

            > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
            > > Kurt
            > >
            > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "guy7754" <guy.aubouy@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Yuri (and the team)
            > > >
            > > > Me again, I got in touch with Don Goldmann (Astrodon) today regarding the MMOAG and we have progressed!
            > > >
            > > > However I am back to you tonight as a critical point to select the right adaptor is the precise distance to respect between the FF and the focal plane of the imaging camera. You told me "it is aapr. 40mm", could you pls make it a bit sharper?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks a lot
            > > > Guy

          • mihalco
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
              FWIW, The larger STL filter wheel adds 0.35" (8.9mm) to the Dimension A values in the SBIG STL drawing, so the correct value for the MMOAG plus adapters should be 38.8mm (85mm - (37.3mm + 8.9mm)). Perhaps this is the source of the approximate 40mm value Yuri told you. The spacing of FF's typically has a tolerance of a few mm's, so 40mm would work fine (Flattener-Reducers are a bit more critical).
              Kurt

            • Yuri
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@...> wrote:

                > I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
                > Kurt

                Kurt you are correct with 85mm for APo140, 180 and 200. For APo160 the back focus is 7mm shorter. It is also not critical, we did check +- 10mm still OK, but we recommend to stay with in +-3mm.
                Best regards, Yuri
              • mihalco
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 1, 2010
                  Per Yuri's correction, it looks like the optimal 160 FF to focal plane is 78mm (vs 85mm for all the other FF's), so the spacing from the FF flange to the face mounting flange of a ST11000 with the big filter wheel should be 31.8mm (78mm - (37.3mm + 8.9mm)).
                  Kurt

                • guy7754
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 2, 2010
                    Thank you Yuri & Kurt

                    It's much clearer to me now.

                    I think I have enough data to pick-up my pilgrim stick and look for the parts.

                  • olivdeso
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                      Hi all

                      UP concerning the 160ED.

                      Having read this previous post, I guess the 78mm distance is optimal for the 160FL but could be different for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance (i.e. différent field curvature)

                      -> What would be the right distance for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance? (is it the same FF for the ED and the FL?)

                      Thanks

                      Olivier

                      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

                      > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
                      > > Kurt
                      >
                      > Kurt you are correct with 85mm for APo140, 180 and 200. For APo160 the back focus is 7mm shorter. It is also not critical, we did check +- 10mm still OK, but we recommend to stay with in +-3mm.
                      > Best regards, Yuri

                    • Percy Mui
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                        Olivier,

                        The back distance required for the field flattener is different for the 160FL vs the 160ED.  160Fl requires 78mm.  160ED requires 69.2mm.  This was from a print that Yuri gave me when I ordered my 160FL.

                        Percy
                        TEC160FL #44

                        Having read this previous post, I guess the 78mm distance is optimal for the 160FL but could be different for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance (i.e. différent field curvature)

                        -> What would be the right distance for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance? (is it the same FF for the ED and the FL?)

                        Thanks

                        Olivier

                        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

                        > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
                        > > Kurt
                        >
                        > Kurt you are correct with 85mm for APo140, 180 and 200. For APo160 the back focus is 7mm shorter. It is also not critical, we did check +- 10mm still OK, but we recommend to stay with in +-3mm.
                        > Best regards, Yuri

                      • olivdeso
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                          Thank you very much Percy

                          Olivier

                          From: Percy Mui <esotar330@...>
                          Sender: tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:30:06 -0700 (PDT)
                          To: <tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: Re: [tec-scopes] Re: Back focus distance for TEC160 FF

                          Olivier,

                          The back distance required for the field flattener is different for the 160FL vs the 160ED.  160Fl requires 78mm.  160ED requires 69.2mm.  This was from a print that Yuri gave me when I ordered my 160FL.

                          Percy
                          TEC160FL #44

                          Having read this previous post, I guess the 78mm distance is optimal for the 160FL but could be different for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance (i.e. différent field curvature)

                          -> What would be the right distance for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance? (is it the same FF for the ED and the FL?)

                          Thanks

                          Olivier

                          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

                          > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
                          > > Kurt
                          >
                          > Kurt you are correct with 85mm for APo140, 180 and 200. For APo160 the back focus is 7mm shorter. It is also not critical, we did check +- 10mm still OK, but we recommend to stay with in +-3mm.
                          > Best regards, Yuri

                        • Yuri
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                            Oliver,
                            the optimal back focus distances for APO160s ED and FL are different and also could be different for the same model. We did longer and shorter (later edition) versions of the FF body. Percy gave you distances for later units.
                            If you have an earlier APO160ED + FF the back focus could be even shorter, it easy to check, BTW.
                            Regards, Yuri

                            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "olivdeso" <olivdeso@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all
                            >
                            > UP concerning the 160ED.
                            >
                            > Having read this previous post, I guess the 78mm distance is optimal for the 160FL but could be different for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance (i.e. différent field curvature)
                            >
                            > -> What would be the right distance for the 160ED which has a longer focal distance? (is it the same FF for the ED and the FL?)
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > Olivier
                            >

                            > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "mihalco" <mihalco@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I believe all TEC's FF's have a spec of 85mm from the FF flange to the focal plane. You need to adjust this accordingly to take into account for glass in the path (filters and camera windows). I'm sure Yuri will chime in if I'm wrong...
                            > > > Kurt
                            > >
                            > > Kurt you are correct with 85mm for APo140, 180 and 200. For APo160 the back focus is 7mm shorter. It is also not critical, we did check +- 10mm still OK, but we recommend to stay with in +-3mm.
                            > > Best regards, Yuri

                          • Olivier Desormiere
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 22, 2012
                              Thank you Yuri,

                              You are right I will check and adjust, following Percy's and your recommendations that give give a good starting point.

                              regards

                              Olivier

                              De : Yuri <tec@...>
                              À : tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com