Re: Nice accessory for your TEC

  • AndreasBraun
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2010
      This is no surprise. There are indeed some eyepieces made by the top notch camera manufacturers (Nikon, Pentax, Leica) which easily can come up to or even excel astronomical eyepieces. Because these manufacturers have the knowledge and the means to really put out first rate optics.

      But for our astronomical use they are more a byproduct - from spotting scopes or microscopes - and unfortunately not available in a substantial variety. Those with adequate focal lengths and with not to complicated mechanical adapting problems are for sure worth considering.

      Andreas

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

      > One more eyepiece made for spotting scopes (not zoom), that we've found long time ago and that works perfectly for TEC telescopes is NIKON:
      > http://www.adorama.com/NKFS30XWA.html?sid=126498823668573
      > The performance of this ~7mm FL eyepiece was so good that after buying one, we have ordered second to use it with Mark V binoviewer.
      > A simple 1.25' adapter has to be made and install to use this eyepiece for usual telescope.
      > Just my 2 c.
      > Best regards,
      > Yuri

    • Tim Khan
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2010
        Andrea,

        I do appreciate your review of the Leica eyepiece; and Jason is right, I only use the ZAOs when the conditions are right. I am intrigued by your findings and subsequently it has perked my intrest to see if there is one available here in the US to try out. Currently I have a zoom nagler while being nice for public viewing, I simply do not use it since it has too much contrast robbing scatter and is a bit soft. And therefore a eyepiece that comes very close to the ZAO's would certainly be welcomed in my eyepiece case; and for public viewing.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 1, 2010
          And now Nikon has new line of "NAV" eyepieces for astronomical use.

          For example: http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=14511

          Wow, the price is much higher!

          Mark

          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Yuri" <tec@...> wrote:

          > One more eyepiece made for spotting scopes (not zoom), that we've found long time ago and that works perfectly for TEC telescopes is NIKON:
          > http://www.adorama.com/NKFS30XWA.html?sid=126498823668573
          > The performance of this ~7mm FL eyepiece was so good that after buying one, we have ordered second to use it with Mark V binoviewer.
          > A simple 1.25' adapter has to be made and install to use this eyepiece for usual telescope.
          > Just my 2 c.
          > Best regards,
          > Yuri

        • Yuri
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 1, 2010
            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Mark_1968" <mark_1968@...> wrote:

            > And now Nikon has new line of "NAV" eyepieces for astronomical use.
            >
            > For example: http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=14511
            >
            > Wow, the price is much higher!
            >
            > Mark

            Mark,
            that is very similar to one I mentioned, they only added 1.25" adapter for $250 (probably made of pure Silver)...

            "Wide 72° apparent field of view, 17mm of eye relief,
            and 8.8mm of field diameter" - the only difference is ours has ~7mm FL, theirs 8.8 field diameter - I do not know what it is .

            Regards, Yuri
          • tommack7882
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2010
              > Mark,
              > that is very similar to one I mentioned, they only added 1.25" adapter for $250 (probably made of pure Silver)...
              >
              > "Wide 72° apparent field of view, 17mm of eye relief,
              > and 8.8mm of field diameter" - the only difference is ours has ~7mm FL, theirs 8.8 field diameter - I do not know what it is .
              >
              > Regards, Yuri

              http://www.adorama.com/NKFS30XWA.html?searchinfo=nikon+eyepiec

              Here it is. I added an adapter supplied by Hutech. It is a remarkable eyepiece.

              Tom Mack
            • Mark_1968
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 1, 2010
                Tom, too bad this eyepiece appears to be discontinued! I guess I will have to pay for a silver one ;)

                Actually the Nikon EDG eyepieces are even more expensive but they appear to be too fat for easy binoviewer use.

                Mark

                --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "tommack7882" <tommack7@...> wrote:

                > > Mark,
                > > that is very similar to one I mentioned, they only added 1.25" adapter for $250 (probably made of pure Silver)...
                > >
                > > "Wide 72° apparent field of view, 17mm of eye relief,
                > > and 8.8mm of field diameter" - the only difference is ours has ~7mm FL, theirs 8.8 field diameter - I do not know what it is .
                > >
                > > Regards, Yuri
                > >
                > http://www.adorama.com/NKFS30XWA.html?searchinfo=nikon+eyepiec
                >
                > Here it is. I added an adapter supplied by Hutech. It is a remarkable eyepiece.
                >
                > Tom Mack

              • AndreasBraun
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 2, 2010
                  Jason,

                  in case you've not found a source yet for the Leica ASPH Zoom you should ask Don Pensack from

                  http://www.scopecity.com

                  He can get you one.

                  Hope it helps

                  Andreas