Briefly considered selling my TEC 140

  • tucstargzr
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      after getting the TEC MC250/12.

      What was I thinking?

      The two scopes complement each other on their respective mounts.
      While the MC provides an extrordinary closeup view of Star Clusters
      with pinpoint stars (M36 for example), I can get the Star Cluster in
      contect with the surounding sky using the 140. What a terrific
      combination! With an old office chair, I can comfortably observe for
      extended periods on, say, Sirius, then scoot the 2 meters to observe
      in the other scope. (BTW, both scopes caught the Pup recently).

      If not for a lovely bride who tolerates this Mistress named
      Astronomy, perhaps I would have foolishly parted with the smaller
      scope....nahhhhh

      Tom
      Sings with the Stars
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5, 2009

        > What was I thinking?

        Dunno, thats crazy. I had to consider selling my TEC200 ED here last month due to job reasons and automotive reasons and managed to dodge the bullet! I think I'll go out and hug it now.

        Mike Clemens
      • Jason Adamik
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2009
          I have the dilemma of having both TEC140 and 160 EDs and can't really justify to myself why I'd need both but can't imagine giving up one of them. It would be very tough to do. I originally planned to sell the 140 as soon as getting the 160 but it is such a perfect telescope that I haven't done that as planned. The combination of perfect optics + excellent size/weight vs. capability makes it a perfect scope for many people. What I mean there is that what you can see (or image) with it vs. how hard it is to store, transport, carry and set up is very nice. It is capable of really showing some serious planetary detail, very close doubles (Sirius A-B, though not close now, is tough but doable with the 140, as you may remember from my tec-scopes group reports), and still good for brighter DSOs. My 14.5" Dob is its counterpart for faint DSOs. These two scopes are really all I'd ever need but then what would I do with my 160? Don't want to sell it either.

          -Jason A.