big TEC plans

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 1, 2007
      Well my TEC160 ED has made its way to Italy now and is awaiting
      customs clearing. Astromart (again) made the sale quick and easy and
      reliable.

      So... last week I ordered a TEC200 ED/9 and lets just say my overall
      productivity has suffered greatly since then, as I'm just about
      short circuited with excitement of the planetary views to come : )
      bzzzzzzt!! bzzzttt!!! What was I talking about? Oh yeah. There
      aren't a lot of 200/9 observing reports out there, but what there
      are -- wow. I think going into this with very
      high expectations would be safe here. And to imagine watching the
      next Jupiter apparition with this big TEC. Pinch me!

      I am putting the scope into an observatory which is 10 feet wide at
      its narrowest (E-W), I think its going to be a close fit when
      observing in those directions. To get the EP up, and the wall
      clearance up, I might follow some of the 200/9 owners here and get
      another set of tube rings to run a weight rail on. I'll probably
      have my saddle up around 7ft.

      I was also thinking about getting a (potentially 3rd) tube ring and
      putting it right down by the focuser end with a couple nice handles
      bolted on for swinging the tube around. (Not sure if TEC sells
      SINGLE tube rings...) Maybe I could be clever and do the handle &
      weight-rail with just two tube rings.

      Shipping around ?December 10 or 15? Anacortes said 2-3 weeks from
      last week.

      It's getting down well below freezing here. My TEC160ED never
      objected to subzero, hopefully the 200ED will be as willing. I have
      read that the 200ED has a temp. compensating cell, but I couldn't
      tell if this cell is more sophisticated or different in design than
      the 160ED.

      Eight inches of aperture with 1800mm of reach... if I
      don't post back with a first light report, send that fluffy dog with
      the keg of whiskey on his collar.

      Mike Clemens
    • Mike C
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 19, 2007

        Ooo ouch, thanks for the heads up, errm, so to speak.
        Perhaps a sacrificial racquetball will be in order, stuffed over the dangerous
        shaft. I do tend to find things with my scalp eventually. That is a very interesting
        observatory you have. It looks like you could disassemble and transport it in
        small pieces if you chose.

        Hopefully it will warm up before the TEC200 arrives. It is almost -18F right now
        and I spent most of 2007 losing over 50 pounds of fat. I think I have a clue why
        I wasn't complaining about the low temps at times other people were...  I am
        thinking the new Mike will need to replace those missing layers with some
        synthetic layers in order to cope with the cold as I previously did. I read on
        some forum recently there is no such thing as inclement weather, only
        inadequate dress. Still I tend to bring the telescopes in at these temps anyway.

        Mike