Re: Finder Frustrations

  • bradgregley10
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi Milt,

      I probably was being harsh on the Tak finder.

      It has minor coma off-axis but so does the Antares.

      If you could have a right angle correct view diagonal for the Tak
      finder, nylon tipped screws instead of the steel ones that can mark
      the tube it would be nicer.

      The tube holders I have used are the ones that go on the refractor's
      focuser and requires 2 allen key head screws.

      If you find a great finder could you let me know as they are an
      underrated piece of equipment and a good finder can make the scope
      experience nicer or set it back.

      Greg.

      -- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "wilcoxmilton" <wilcoxmilton@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "bradgregley10" <bradgregley10@>
      > wrote:
      >

      > > I have had a few Tak 7 x 50 finder scopes and I find them
      deficient.
      > > They have coma, they seem to require refocusing each time, they
      have
      > > an awkward mounting system
      > >

      > Hi Greg,
      >
      > I have not noticed coma in my Tak finder, but I believe the
      refocusing
      > issue is due to brushing against the eyepiece as you contort into
      > position to look through it. This can slightly rotate the helical
      > focuser. I have found that RACI finders are less prone to this
      > problem because the ep is in a more convenient position.
      >
      > Regarding mounting, my Tak 7x50 is mounted on an M250 and doubles
      as a
      > handle to lift the scope onto the mount. I would have never
      believed
      > that the finder would hold alignment, but it does. I have lifted
      the
      > scope by the bracket/finder combination dozens of times over the
      past
      > year and have never had to readjust alignment.
      >
      > > I have an Antares right angle correct view finder scope which
      cost
      > > hardly anything, I can see the cross hairs without an illuminator
      > > (which breaks by practically just looking at it)
      > >

      > I often observe in mag 6 skies, and find the background too dark to
      > use an unilluminated reticle. I also have an Antares RACI and agree
      > with you about the illuminator. Mine is very fussy and has a dead
      > spot right in the middle of the adjustment range. Also, I prefer
      > Takahashi's reticle to Antares' for maneuvering in faint star fields
      > because you loose fewer stars in the Tak. If only it was right
      angle!

      > > Another good finder scope was the Vixen mounting system which
      uses
      > > only 2 adjustment screws one of which is spring loaded and makes
      > > alignment a breeze.
      >
      > The Orion RACI I had was like that. And it's a good thing it was
      > convenient because I had to readjust alignment practically every
      time
      > I set up the scope.
      >
      > So I still don't know what I'm going to do, but Yuri was nice enough
      > to call me today and explain why you can't buy a TEC finder bracket
      > without sending a finder to Golden. Anacortes should know this by
      now....

      > Milt

    • wilcoxmilton
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lord <chrislord@...> wrote:

        > Have you considered the new 40mm Baader red dot finder. Its straight
        > through, but it has an array of different standoffs, that make it less
        > of a strain when observing near the zenith.

        Hi Chris,

        My TV Starbeam has worked out well as a unit finder but I agree a
        larger standoff would sometimes be helpful.

        > I also use a Vixen 70S guide 'scope as a finder. I have it mounted off
        > the dovetail plate piggybacked on the tube rings. I use it with and
        > without the Vixen guide projection reticle eyepiece.

        Sounds like a nice setup. I am curious about the Vixen projection
        reticle. Is that the GA-4? If the 3x Barlow was removable and it
        worked with any 1-1/4" ep it might make a nice finder reticle, albeit
        expensive and probably not erect image.

        Thanks,
        Milt
      • wilcoxmilton
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
          --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "steve_dashiell" <dashiellyg1@...>
          wrote:

          > both the Starbeam mounted on the
          > DM-6 and a Stellarview 50mm right angle rotating back illuminated
          > finder mounted on the TEC finder bracket on the scope.

          Hi Steve,

          I have disassembled both a recent Antares and a couple-year old SV
          finder and they appear to use identical 50mm cemented doublets. I
          preferred the Antares OTA because it is baffled and has a sliding
          diagonal entrance tube to extend focus range. However, the new SV
          back-end appears better thought out with the rotating back and Rigel
          blinking illuminator. Do you have this Rigel illuminator, and if so
          how do you like it?

          Thanks,
          Milt
        • steve_dashiell
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2007
            Milt,

            Yes, I have the Rigel pulse-guide illuminated finder. I have no
            experience with other varieties, but this one works well. The
            brightness as well as the pulse period and duration are adjustable.
            Under dark skys I use it routinely. Unfortunately, the skys at home
            are always bright enough that the illuminator is not really necessary.

            Steve

            wrote:

            > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "steve_dashiell" <dashiellyg1@>
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > both the Starbeam mounted on the
            > > DM-6 and a Stellarview 50mm right angle rotating back illuminated
            > > finder mounted on the TEC finder bracket on the scope.
            > >

            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > I have disassembled both a recent Antares and a couple-year old SV
            > finder and they appear to use identical 50mm cemented doublets. I
            > preferred the Antares OTA because it is baffled and has a sliding
            > diagonal entrance tube to extend focus range. However, the new SV
            > back-end appears better thought out with the rotating back and Rigel
            > blinking illuminator. Do you have this Rigel illuminator, and if so
            > how do you like it?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Milt

          • Chris Lord
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4, 2007
              Milt,

              The Barlow is removable, it screws into the 1.25-inch sleeve piece. It
              gives a reverted image. I've had mine for about 20 years, but I think
              the GA-4 is the current model.

              Chris Lord

              On 1 Sep 2007, at 19:52, wilcoxmilton wrote:

              > Hi Chris,
              >
              > My TV Starbeam has worked out well as a unit finder but I agree a
              > larger standoff would sometimes be helpful.
              >
              > > I also use a Vixen 70S guide 'scope as a finder. I have it mounted
              > off
              > > the dovetail plate piggybacked on the tube rings. I use it with and
              > > without the Vixen guide projection reticle eyepiece.
              > >

              > Sounds like a nice setup. I am curious about the Vixen projection
              > reticle. Is that the GA-4? If the 3x Barlow was removable and it
              > worked with any 1-1/4" ep it might make a nice finder reticle, albeit
              > expensive and probably not erect image.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Milt
            • taylorcjat
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 4, 2007
                Thanks for writing Steve-- that's encouraging. Chuck

                wrote:

                > Chuck,
                >
                > I have pretty much exactly the configuration you are describing. I
                > use a DM-6 with my TEC-140, and have both the Starbeam mounted on
                the
                > DM-6 and a Stellarview 50mm right angle rotating back illuminated
                > finder mounted on the TEC finder bracket on the scope. I find the
                > Starbeam to be easier to use for initial acquisition, and the
                > Stellarvue to be preferable for reacquiring an object that has
                drifted
                > out of the field, especially when doing planetary viewing at high
                power.

                > If I had it to do over again, I would still get the same two
                finders.

                > Steve
                >
                > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "taylorcjat" <Taylorcjat@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "wilcoxmilton" <wilcoxmilton@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have been using a TV Starbeam on 160FL-001 mainly because I
                have
                > > > been so underwhelmed by the optical finders I have used, with
                the
                > > > exception of the Takahashi 7x50 on my Mewlon. Unfortunately
                it, as
                > > > well as the TEC 8x50, is straight-through, which can really put
                your
                > > > head and neck into nasty positions on longer scopes.
                > > >
                > > > The illuminated reticle on the Tak finder, which has single
                > > crosshairs
                > > > with a small gap in the middle and a smooth progressive
                illumination
                > > > control sets the standard IMO. The made-in-China SV, Antares,
                etc.
                > > > illuminated crosshairs and even a Harry Seibert eyepiece I have
                > > tried
                > > > don't come close. How is the TEC finder in this regard?
                > > >
                > > > Boy would I love to find an illuminated RACI finder of Tak
                > > quality! I
                > > > have even thought of rolling my own based on a Borg50 or TV60
                OTA,
                > > but
                > > > then I still have the illuminated reticle eyepiece issue. Any
                > > > suggestions? How about it, Yuri? Thanks for letting me rant,
                > > anyway....
                > > >
                > > > Milt
                > > >
                > > No good suggestions, but I share your frustrations Milt. The TEC
                > > illuminated finder is good optically and can be adjusted smoothly
                > > through a wide range of brightnesses. The crosshairs are fine and
                the
                > > dimmest setting seems quite appropriate for a dark sky site. But
                it
                > > is also hard on the neck (straight-through viewing) and I'm
                finding I
                > > dislike going through the mental gyrations required to process
                the
                > > upside-down view. I do like the slick design of the finder
                bracket
                > > though--super easy to adjust. I've added a TV Starbeam to my
                mount
                > > (Discmount DM-6), and that works great, but I have also been
                thinking
                > > about adding a TV60, or more likely, a Stellarvue F50-F60 right-
                angle
                > > finder to the scope. Have you considered or tried that one?
                Anybody?