Re: Reprocessed Leo Trio

  • stevelindsey04
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2007
      Thanks for the tip Tim. I'll definitely check that out. Is there any
      tricks to this for night time astro work that the daytime instructions
      would prove less effective?

      Steve

      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Tim Khan <timkhan@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > You image has nice detail, but is lacking the proper colors (too
      magenta). The modified Canon's with the filters are difficult to
      process for colors as we discovered (images always come out red). Have
      you tried using a custom white balance? If not, see your camera's
      manual, it will take some of that red out thereby making processing a
      little easier.

      > Tim
    • Tim Khan
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
        Steve,

        Use a star to white balance! Get a large piece of foam core or posterboard placed out side when the sun is at the merdian and photograph the board for your white balance shot. Better but more expensive see the following link: www.expodisc.com

        Unfortunately for astro work, this only works on the canons. I have nikon's and they have not cracked the raw files for the white balance yet.

        Tim

        Thanks for the tip Tim. I'll definitely check that out. Is there any
        tricks to this for night time astro work that the daytime instructions
        would prove less effective?

        Steve

        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, Tim Khan <timkhan@...> wrote:

        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > You image has nice detail, but is lacking the proper colors (too
        magenta). The modified Canon's with the filters are difficult to
        process for colors as we discovered (images always come out red). Have
        you tried using a custom white balance? If not, see your camera's
        manual, it will take some of that red out thereby making processing a
        little easier.

        > Tim

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Get your own web address.
      • William J. Shaheen
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
          Hey, Tim -

          I shoot a digital gray card on my Nikon D50 to preset the WB. Then in
          ImagesPlus, I just tell it to use the "At Capture WB" and am getting
          terrific results. (Hope you agree.)

          http://www.pbase.com/wjshaheen/tec_apo_140_and_nikon_d50

          Check out the near full moon at the bottom of the gallery.

          I got the card from:
          http://www.rmimaging.com/products/graycard_index.html

          Let me know if there are any questions and I can elaborate further.

          Regards.

          Bill Shaheen
          Gold Canyon, AZ