Re: Looking for a Maksutov

  • Laurent
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      Greg

      I have both TEC140 and MC200. MC 200 is recent and I can comment only
      about DSO... Here no contest : MC200 is a 200mm (8") and gives you
      more power on faint galaxies, Globular clusters, planetary nebulae...
      On large open clusters and large bright nebulae, TEC140 may be more
      attractive because it has much more field and views may be more
      aesthetic.

      On planets, I will post more reports in the future between both
      instruments. MC200 must give - theoretically - a bit more but
      difference is probably less obvious or less frequent depending on
      seeing (already stated with my very good 8" Newton).

      Anyway, as far as I can see with my MC200 since two months, cool down
      is easily obtained and views on the moon, double stars, are amazing.

      Mechanically and optically, MC200 is a marvelous instrument.

      Laurent

      > Any MC owners out there that can comment on this scope and it's
      > ability to go after the objects I'm looking for?
      > Greg
      > Billings, MT
    • vahe352
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        The MC200 would yield 3.8x
        > more light gathering over 102mm.
        > The only review I've found on the MC200 was from a few years ago on
        > the f11 version. I have no doubt that this would be an excellent
        > option for a step-up in aperture. I just don't want to come up short.
        > Any MC owners out there that can comment on this scope and it's
        > ability to go after the objects I'm looking for?

        A few additional comment on the subject over and above what Laurent
        gave you.
        Regarding the brightness factor, it will be more like 2.9x by the time
        you deduct the 26% obstruction (F/15.5) and account for 80% light
        reflectance from two surfaces.
        Personally if it came to choosing between a 200TEC Mak vs 250 Mewlon
        for DSO work I would go with the Mewlon, big difference between a 8"
        and 10" and Mewlon is less prone to cooldown problems due to open end
        and is faster and is not much heavier than TEC200.
        Your observing location should always be an important consideration
        when choosing a Mak, in areas with wide temperature variations the
        cooldown will be a serious problem.
        All 200TEC Maks are now out of production, so you are looking at a
        good used model, if I have to consider one for primarily DSO I would
        go with the F/11 (30% co.), the best general purpose model is the
        F/15.5 (26% co.), and the least popular is TEC planetary F/20 (22%
        co.) which I am personally hoping to find one in the used market.
        There is an extensive review of the F/15.5 by Richard Whalen, who by
        the way requested this particular model and was the first to receive
        it. The review is on s.a.a. date: January 24, 2000, and the subject is
        called "New Scope Odyssey".

        And, good luck.

        Vahe
      • Laurent
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2006
          HI

          I think Mewlon 250 and MC200 are different instrument... difficult to
          compare except for the price. Anyway, nothing is perfect and the
          Mewlon has an open tube well known for beeing subject to tube
          currents. MC200 is a little more "grab and go" as far I can appreciate
          here very easy to set up, no collimation required, and once (or if)
          stabilized, thermically stable since I repeat, no cool down issues
          with my 200mm : tested by 5°C (41°F) outside, 21°C (70°F) inside and I
          am waiting for colder temperature for more appropriate conclusions
          since I think the problem begin near or below zero°C (32°F). The MC250
          is cerytainly more susceptible.

          Laurent