Re: [tec-scopes] Re: TEC 8" f15 too large for a GP-DX?

  • andrea tasselli
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2002
      --- yuri80226 <tec@...> wrote:
      > --- In tec-scopes@y..., andrea tasselli
      > <andreatax@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > > - No, GP-DX is good only for 6" MAK, 8" requeres
      > > > G-11, AP600 or
      > > > similar.
      > > > Yuri
      > > >

      > > Don't think so Yuri, don't think so. A GP-DX
      > handles a
      > > C9.25 (similar size/weight) just fine for most
      > usages.
      > > Best
      > > Andrea T.
      >
      > Hi Andrea,
      > Before I answer I checked the capacity of this moun
      > :
      >
      > "?The GP-DX has a polar scope with a built-in
      > variable intensity illuminator for
      > convenience and smart appearance. Twin oversized
      > bolts are used for easy
      > altitude adjustment, and the azimuth adjustment also
      > utilizes an oversized
      > bolt. A 3.7kg counter-weight comes standard.
      > Features:
      > -
      > -
      > -
      > * Maximum Loading Weight: ~10kg (22 lbs)
      > * Weight (not including counterweight): 8.5kg (18.7
      > lbs) "
      >
      > The 8"Mak F15 with rings, finder, diagonal and
      > Nagler 32 Type five (-: will be
      > > 25lb!
      > May be on pactice it works, but near the limit...
      >
      > Regards, Yuri

      Hi Yuri,

      I use to have on the GP-DX the MN66 which is nearly as
      heavy as the TEC f/15 and a good 230mm longer without
      any problem at all. I could do CCD imaging with this
      setup (and I will) without much fuss. In one case we
      had a GP-DX loaded with a C11 and visually was still
      working basically OK. All it needs is a very very
      sturdy tripod to match the OTA.

      Best

      Andrea T.

      My Astronomy Pages at:
      http://www.geocities.com/andreatax

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • firsttec8f155
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 7, 2002
        Hi Ruud,

        I would say no from my experience using a G11, which I think is ok
        for visual use but near the limit for imaging when you add the extra
        weight of camera etc. I think the AP900 would be just about perfect.

        Richard Whalen

        --- In tec-scopes@y..., "ruudpenders" <rpmpenders@h...> wrote:
        > Is a Vixen GP-DX mount steady enough
        > for a Tec 8" f15 ?
        >

        > Greets,
        > Ruud
      • yuri80226
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 7, 2002
          --- In tec-scopes@y..., "firsttec8f155" <whalen44@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Ruud,
          >
          > I would say no from my experience using a G11, which I think is ok
          > for visual use but near the limit for imaging when you add the extra
          > weight of camera etc. I think the AP900 would be just about perfect.
          >
          > Richard Whalen

          Hi Richard,
          nice to see you here, it was long time since we communicated last time...
          How are yourobservation if youhave timeforthem?
          Regards, Yuri
        • firsttec8f155
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 7, 2002
            Hi Yuri,

            Been the worse summer for observing here on the Gulf coast of Florida
            I can remember. Clouds, rain etc. Have only had 2 decent new moon
            nights, both early on. Was hoping to observe this weekend, but more
            clouds from tropical storm fay. Bummer....:-( Are you guys still
            planning on producing those little items we talked about last winter?
            Tell Ed hello for me, hope to see you guys again sometime this year.
            I may be out in Utah in October, a run over to Golden might be in the
            works....

            Richard

            > Hi Richard,
            > nice to see you here, it was long time since we communicated last
            time...
            > How are yourobservation if youhave timeforthem?
            > Regards, Yuri
          • Tim Khan
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 8, 2002
              Hi Richard,

              It's been a while and I hear your pain. We havent had
              a decent night's observing since April down here in S.
              FL. We tried last night, however high cirrus clouds
              (from TS Fay) made observing impossible.

              Anyways, I believe that Yuri, Ed, and Alex will be
              coming to the 2003 WSP, and will give a lecture too.
              We'll have the first 2-12" Maks (#1a & #1b) with the
              cooling/heating systems there. In addition, we are
              having a film/CCD workshop after the lectures, hosted
              by some very well known Astrophotographers. So, I'll
              have to take a fair amount of pictures for Jupiter and
              Saturn for these guys to use.

              Tim

              http://finance.yahoo.com
            • whalen44@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 8, 2002
                Hi Tim,

                Good to hear from you. Don't know if I'll make this years WSP with work and
                all.
                Real excited to hear about how your 12" turns out! Sounds like it is almost
                done?
                I tried last night also with same results :-(

                Steady (and clear) skies,

                Richard
              • yuri80226
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 9, 2002
                  --- In tec-scopes@y..., "firsttec8f155" <whalen44@a...> wrote:
                  > Hi Yuri,
                  >
                  > Been the worse summer for observing here on the Gulf coast of
                  Florida
                  > I can remember. Clouds, rain etc. Have only had 2 decent new moon
                  > nights, both early on. Was hoping to observe this weekend, but more
                  > clouds from tropical storm fay. Bummer....:-( Are you guys still
                  > planning on producing those little items we talked about last
                  winter?
                  > Tell Ed hello for me, hope to see you guys again sometime this year.

                  > Richard

                  Thanks Richard for hello,
                  we have finished 10 optical sets of ea. 7.5mm and 10.5mm eyepieces*,
                  but having only 6 hands in the shop do not let us to complete this
                  small project, but we will try to do them at 3 years anniversary of
                  8" f/15 #1. These days we have two big projects that have highest
                  priority - 12" MAK and APO 140.
                  > I may be out in Utah in October, a run over to Golden might be in
                  the
                  > works....
                  Welcome anytime when ever you are in our area!
                • Tim Khan
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 9, 2002
                    Hi Richard,

                    We had better skies last night, however being Sunday
                    evening, I ended up reading Rutten and Van Venrooji's
                    book till I fell asleep.

                    Anyways, Keep in touch, and hopefully we'll have
                    better weather conditions for next weekend. And, of
                    course, you are most welcome to join us for first
                    light.

                    Tim

                    --- whalen44@... wrote:
                    > Hi Tim,
                    >
                    > Good to hear from you. Don't know if I'll make this
                    > years WSP with work and
                    > all.
                    > Real excited to hear about how your 12" turns out!
                    > Sounds like it is almost
                    > done?
                    > I tried last night also with same results :-(
                    >
                    > Steady (and clear) skies,
                    >
                    > Richard

                    http://finance.yahoo.com
                  • yuri80226
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 11, 2002
                      --- In tec-scopes@y..., "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:

                      > Thanks Richard for hello,
                      > we have finished 10 optical sets of ea. 7.5mm and 10.5mm eyepieces*.

                      I put the * sign, but forgot to explain...
                      The eyepieces are the Konig type and designed to match the
                      Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope design.
                      Yuri.
                    • Dave Kerr
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 11, 2002
                        Yuri, are these for the 12"? i didn't
                        see the eyepieces on your website.

                        Dave Kerr

                        > > Thanks Richard for hello,
                        > > we have finished 10 optical sets of ea. 7.5mm and 10.5mm
                        eyepieces*.

                        > I put the * sign, but forgot to explain...
                        > The eyepieces are the Konig type and designed to match the
                        > Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope design.
                        > Yuri.
                      • Tim Khan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 12, 2002
                          He mentioned to me, that they are for all their Maks.

                          Tim

                          --- Dave Kerr <dsktc@...> wrote:
                          > Yuri, are these for the 12"? i didn't
                          > see the eyepieces on your website.
                          >
                          > Dave Kerr
                          >
                          > > > Thanks Richard for hello,
                          > > > we have finished 10 optical sets of ea. 7.5mm
                          > and 10.5mm
                          > eyepieces*.
                          > >
                          > > I put the * sign, but forgot to explain...
                          > > The eyepieces are the Konig type and designed to
                          > match the
                          > > Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope design.
                          > > Yuri.

                          Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                          http://news.yahoo.com
                        • eroelmx
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 13, 2002
                            Yuri:
                            Can you explain about the eyepieces you are making, the cost,
                            availability, etc..., I am interested.
                            Best regards,
                            Eric.

                            --- In tec-scopes@y..., "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:
                            > --- In tec-scopes@y..., "yuri80226" <tec@t...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Thanks Richard for hello,
                            > > we have finished 10 optical sets of ea. 7.5mm and 10.5mm
                            eyepieces*.

                            > I put the * sign, but forgot to explain...
                            > The eyepieces are the Konig type and designed to match the
                            > Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope design.
                            > Yuri.
                          • Tim Khan
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 14, 2002
                              Eric,

                              Yuri told me that they are similar to a Konig,
                              designed around their MCT's

                              Tim

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 16, 2002
                                --- In tec-scopes@y..., "Dave Kerr" <dsktc@e...> wrote:
                                > Yuri, are these for the 12"? i didn't
                                > see the eyepieces on your website.
                                >
                                > Dave Kerr

                                Hi dave,

                                - Not only for 12" - they are designed for all Mak-Cassegrains.
                                No pricing yet since we have finished only a small prototype run of optics.
                                Yuri
                              • yuri80226
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 16, 2002
                                  --- In tec-scopes@y..., "eroelmx" <eroel@p...> wrote:
                                  > Yuri:
                                  > Can you explain about the eyepieces you are making, the cost,
                                  > availability, etc..., I am interested.
                                  > Best regards,
                                  > Eric.

                                  Hi Eric,
                                  As i saiditis only a prototype run,no prices,etc.yet.
                                  regards, Yuri