FF + Reducer combo

  • raymondtltse
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
      Dear all,

      I have received my TEC 140 for a while and am considering to order a
      TEC140 FF for better flat field. The FF is a must for larger size CCD
      and full frame CCD/DSLR.

      I just wonder whether after getting a FF behind TEC140, I can still add
      another reducer (say AP 0.75x/0.67X reducer (or other reducers designed
      for flat field scopes) after the FF, hopefully to achieve flatter field
      together with faster F-ratio. Best of both worlds.

      Have with FF owners try this combo ? Does this idea work ?

      Thanks for your viewing and contribution.

      Clear skies !

      Raymond
    • yuri80226
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "raymondtltse" <raymondtltse@...>
        wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > I have received my TEC 140 for a while and am considering to order
        > TEC140 FF for better flat field. The FF is a must for larger size
        CCD
        > and full frame CCD/DSLR.
        >
        > I just wonder whether after getting a FF behind TEC140, I can
        still add
        > another reducer (say AP 0.75x/0.67X reducer (or other reducers
        designed
        > for flat field scopes) after the FF, hopefully to achieve flatter
        field
        > together with faster F-ratio. Best of both worlds.
        > Have with FF owners try this combo ? Does this idea work ?
        > Thanks for your viewing and contribution.

        > Raymond

        Dear Raymond,
        for best result we would not recommend to add anything behind the FF
        except your camera. Of coarse it takes longer expositions, but try
        to relax near scope, enjoy the beer or something else under the
        starry sky during long imaging time!
        Regards, Yuri

        PS. the focal reducers still could be used w/o FF for Cameras with
        small chips.
      • nicolas outters
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
          Yuri,

          Do you have the 4" Flat field reducer TEC on stock, I had ordered it last winter.

          Nicolas Outters.

          site astrophotographie observatoire d'Orange : http://www.astrosurf.com/nico.outters/astro
          site golf pro : http://www.golf-mornex.com
          >> I have received my TEC 140 for a while and am considering to order
          >> TEC140 FF for better flat field. The FF is a must for larger size
          > CCD
          >> and full frame CCD/DSLR.
          >>
          >> I just wonder whether after getting a FF behind TEC140, I can
          > still add
          >> another reducer (say AP 0.75x/0.67X reducer (or other reducers
          > designed
          >> for flat field scopes) after the FF, hopefully to achieve flatter
          > field
          >> together with faster F-ratio. Best of both worlds.
          >> Have with FF owners try this combo ? Does this idea work ?
          >> Thanks for your viewing and contribution.
          >
          >> Raymond
          >
          > Dear Raymond,
          > for best result we would not recommend to add anything behind the FF
          > except your camera. Of coarse it takes longer expositions, but try
          > to relax near scope, enjoy the beer or something else under the
          > starry sky during long imaging time!
          > Regards, Yuri
          >
          > PS. the focal reducers still could be used w/o FF for Cameras with
          > small chips.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • yuri80226
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2006
            --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "nicolas outters"
            <nico.outters@...> wrote:

            > Yuri,
            >
            > Do you have the 4" Flat field reducer TEC on stock, I had ordered it
            last winter.

            > Nicolas Outters.
            Nicolas,
            they are coming very soon, we have only one parf left before
            assembling: the FF's body engraivings.
            Regards, Yuri
          • elraeburn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
              This is message 32276 from AP-UG, posted May 23, 2006, by Roland:

              In a message dated 5/23/2006 4:38:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
              pjward@... writes:

              > Just wondering whether this configuration (0.75 x and AP field flattner)
              > has been done before. What's the optimal spacing? (using a SBIG
              > STL11000) or don't bother?

              You cannot use a telecompressor with any of the field flatteners on
              our telescopes. The field flatteners are stand alone items that must
              be attached directly to the camera with no other optics in between.

              Roland Christen

              wrote:

              > Dear all,
              >
              > I have received my TEC 140 for a while and am considering to order a
              > TEC140 FF for better flat field. The FF is a must for larger size CCD
              > and full frame CCD/DSLR.
              >
              > I just wonder whether after getting a FF behind TEC140, I can still add
              > another reducer (say AP 0.75x/0.67X reducer (or other reducers designed
              > for flat field scopes) after the FF, hopefully to achieve flatter field
              > together with faster F-ratio. Best of both worlds.
              >
              > Have with FF owners try this combo ? Does this idea work ?
              >
              > Thanks for your viewing and contribution.
              >
              > Clear skies !
              >
              > Raymond

            • nicolas outters
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
                Good news Yuri.
                Keep me one for Galiléo Lausanne (my favorite shop) please, I wait it since few months.

                Nicolas Outters.

                site astrophotographie observatoire d'Orange : http://www.astrosurf.com/nico.outters/astro
                site golf pro : http://www.golf-mornex.com
                > Do you have the 4" Flat field reducer TEC on stock, I had ordered it
                last winter.

                > Nicolas Outters.
                Nicolas,
                they are coming very soon, we have only one parf left before
                assembling: the FF's body engraivings.
                Regards, Yuri

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • stevelindsey04
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
                  Nicolas,

                  Are you referring to the TEC field flattner? I wasn't aware of a
                  field flattner/reducer combination in one device.

                  Steve Lindsey

                  > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "nicolas outters"
                  > <nico.outters@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yuri,
                  > >
                  > > Do you have the 4" Flat field reducer TEC on stock, I had
                  ordered it
                  > last winter.
                  > >
                  > > Nicolas Outters.
                  > Nicolas,
                  > they are coming very soon, we have only one parf left before
                  > assembling: the FF's body engraivings.
                  > Regards, Yuri
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Rich Wood
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 3, 2006
                    Steve;

                    Tec does not offer a combined FF/FR but such items are offered by both
                    AP and TV. I believe some of the TEC 140 astrophotographers have used
                    both.

                    Yuri has stated in prior posts that he will not offer a focal reducer
                    or combined FF/FR optic as he feels that he has not been able to find
                    or develop a design which meets TEC's image quality standards.

                    Rich Wood

                    --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "stevelindsey04" <stevelindsey@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Nicolas,
                    >
                    > Are you referring to the TEC field flattner? I wasn't aware of a
                    > field flattner/reducer combination in one device.
                    >
                    > Steve Lindsey
                    >
                    > > --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "nicolas outters"
                    > > <nico.outters@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Yuri,
                    > > >
                    > > > Do you have the 4" Flat field reducer TEC on stock, I had
                    > ordered it
                    > > last winter.
                    > > >
                    > > > Nicolas Outters.
                    > > Nicolas,
                    > > they are coming very soon, we have only one parf left before
                    > > assembling: the FF's body engraivings.
                    > > Regards, Yuri
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • stevelindsey04
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 4, 2006
                      Thanks Rich. That's what I remembered and was just checking in case
                      things had changed. I've just received the AP reducer and already
                      have the TEC FF.

                      Steve

                      --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Wood" <astronut1001@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Steve;
                      >
                      > Tec does not offer a combined FF/FR but such items are offered by
                      both
                      > AP and TV. I believe some of the TEC 140 astrophotographers have
                      used
                      > both.
                      >
                      > Yuri has stated in prior posts that he will not offer a focal reducer
                      > or combined FF/FR optic as he feels that he has not been able to find
                      > or develop a design which meets TEC's image quality standards.
                      >
                      > Rich Wood
                    • Mike Chapa
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 4, 2006
                        --- In tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com, "elraeburn" <elraeburn@...> wrote:
                        > You cannot use a telecompressor with any of the field flatteners on
                        > our telescopes. The field flatteners are stand alone items that must
                        > be attached directly to the camera with no other optics in between.
                        >
                        > Roland Christen

                        Elraeburn? How many aliases do you have? ha ha

                        Mike Chapa

                        PS--Rolando is my favorite. Yuri needs one...perhaps
                        Petrunino...hmmm...perhaps not!