    Jul 5, 2014
      interesting, if my memory serves me (without a before/after comparison) then the changes are not dramatic, but there seems to be more depth in the image now, and the central band is more pronounced. the turbulence around the central dark clouds also appears more involved.

      anyway, i appreciate the muted colors. APOD recently published a photo of the orion nebula that looked like a platter of melted crayons. absolutely grotesque and strident.

      On Saturday, July 5, 2014 3:00 PM, "'Bernard Miller' bgmiller011@... [tec-scopes]" <tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I took your advice and reprocessed. I would be curious to know what you think. The new picture is at the same link.
      From: tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com [mailto:tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2014 8:18 AM
      To: tec-scopes@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [tec-scopes] M17 - The Swan Nebula
      this is probably asking too much, bernard, but i'd vote for something in the middle, that brings out the distinctive "swan" figure a bit more from the complex background, without losing the superb detail in the stellar field and intermingled dark clouds that you obtained in the second image.
      i haven't tried astrophotography so this may be a naive suggestion, but software is available that simulates the high dynamic range of the eye by merging images taken at different exposures. it seems to me your post processing can or does do something equivalent.
      Bernard, very nice and my vote is for second version.
      Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2014 5:30 PM
      Subject: [tec-scopes] M17 - The Swan Nebula
      Well after almost four years of imaging I finally got M17. Actually M17 was the first picture I ever took with a telescope. I took it with a C11 Hyperstar using a DSLR in the parking lot of Starizona in Tucson. You can see that version at
      Anyway, here is a much better version my opinion.
      Comments or suggestions are welcomed.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic