Chubbing Up and Chubb Envy

    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2010
      Gents,

      With my pier to pier swim (Boscombe - Bournemouth 27th June) fast approaching, I've been taking Col's advice and getting in some sea training.

      The main problem at the moment is water temperature (currently only 10 degrees). I managed 3/4 mile in 30 mins this weekend - but with much shivering to follow. The 1.4 miles I need seems ambitious, but I have a plan!

      Careful research into cold water survival indicates that an even layer of fatty tissue will greatly reduce heat loss. The ideal body form I'm striving to achieve is that of The Broon. The Broon is my icon; in terms of heat retention, he is perfect.

      However my efforts to date have proved disappointing and a steady diet of pork pies and cheap lager have brought nothing more than a middle-aged paunch, flatulence and a slight alcohol dependence. It is clear that a physique such as the Broons is not something that can be achieved overnight.

      Instead I will need to resort to sheer bloody-minded determination, and hope that in the coming weeks, the sea may warm by a few merciful degrees.

      Thank you to those who have donated already, but if you missed out and would like to support the British Heart Foundation and sponsor me, here's the link: http://original.justgiving.com/petertodd1

      See you at the next curry - make mine a big one!

      Cheers,

      Todd
    • Kevin Denson
      Message 2 of 3 , May 24, 2010
        Todd,
            I think the wishing for the sea to warm up is faint hope. I used to go diving and you only see the sea get very slightly warmer in August/September. I agree Broon and I must admit myself have spent many years battling anorexia to get to this 'normal' body shape. Sounds silly, but a friend of my did the channel a good few years ago and reckoned goose fat would keep you OK for about a an hour.

        Cheers,
           Kevin.

      • anthony@westdene.me.uk
        Message 3 of 3 , May 24, 2010
          Todd, You are gonna need some bread as well to get the goose fat down. I would also consider warming it up slightly otherwise it is a big glup.

          On 24 May 2010, at 20:00, Kevin Denson wrote:

[...]

          All the best, Anthony