IMPORTANT - TealOS Last Call

  • tealtex
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 26, 2009
      Hi folks.

      I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.

      We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.

      For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.

      Thanks,

      -tex
    • Chris Pratt

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
          TealOS has been a perfect way for Palm to beta test the use of their new concept/layout for WebOS.

          The likes, dislikes and requests by TealOS users must be a great way of refining WebOS layout and features before it hits the market.

          How disappointing that Palm seems not to have grasped this opportunity.

          They should be bankrolling TealOS, not stopping it !!

          Charles.

          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
            OK a few bugs in 1.43:

            - Type to search is clashing with Fastlaunch. If I type a R, I get RR on the top line. If I turn off Type to find, I do not have the problem.

            - I have the Quick bar off. If I select Solid background for the Launcher screen, when I return to the Icon screen the bottom 1cm of the screen is greyed off over my background picture.

            Treo680.

            Cheers,

            Charles.

            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
              I must say I am sorry to read that, but I am not surprised.
              In this situation, my request is not probably highest priority, but updating the documentation to the last features would help a lot, as everything after version 1.35 is only "documented" in beta page.
              Thanks for all the work, and I am happy to have purchased the application, even if no more development / support is available in the future.

              Xavier

            • Jochen Konietzko
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                -------- Original-Nachricht --------
                > Datum: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 07:20:15 -0000
                > Von: "Charles Tassell" <Charles@...>
                > An: tealtalk@yahoogroups.com
                > Betreff: Re: [tealtalk] IMPORTANT - TealOS Last Call

                <snip>

                > How disappointing that Palm seems not to have grasped this opportunity.

                <snip>

                When, in the last few years, have Palm ever done that?

                At the moment it seems to me as if at all costs they want to "cut of their nose(s) to spite their face(s)" - or should that be "the existing Palm users' faces"?

                This latest move fits in very "nicely" with their complete refusal to write an emulator which would enable the - still many, I think - existing Palm users to switch to the new Pre painlessly, phasing out the old software gradually as new stuff becomes available... and as their bank accounts permit. (My own records for what I earned/spent goes back to 2004 - I just searched the database for "Palm" and got a total amount spent of 3750 Euro - more than 4000 Dollars - on software, and just 1500 Euro for my various Palm devices; I am completely p+++ed off by Palm's attitude!)

                End of rant - none of this reflects on the great work the folks at TealPoint are doing - I hope to be your customer for quite a while yet!

                Regards,

                Jochen
              • rich raiff
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009

                  This move definitely encourages me to look at the iphone again. Since the Pre is exclusive with Spint I could not use it anyway.

                  Rich Raiff

                  > How disappointing that Palm seems not to have grasped this opportunity.

                  <snip>

                  When, in the last few years, have Palm ever done that?

                  At the moment it seems to me as if at all costs they want to "cut of their nose(s) to spite their face(s)" - or should that be "the existing Palm users' faces"?

                  This latest move fits in very "nicely" with their complete refusal to write an emulator which would enable the - still many, I think - existing Palm users to switch to the new Pre painlessly, phasing out the old software gradually as new stuff becomes available... and as their bank accounts permit. (My own records for what I earned/spent goes back to 2004 - I just searched the database for "Palm" and got a total amount spent of 3750 Euro - more than 4000 Dollars - on software, and just 1500 Euro for my various Palm devices; I am completely p+++ed off by Palm's attitude!)

                  End of rant - none of this reflects on the great work the folks at TealPoint are doing - I hope to be your customer for quite a while yet!

                  Regards,

                  Jochen

                • Tom Ryan
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                    I had a feeling Palm would come a callin'. I was hoping that they might just buy you out so that they could offer a WebOS-like interface on inexpensive Centro phones, since that is all they will be able to sell on non-Sprint networks for some time. They probably feel that TealOS makes them look bad since a small developer was able to create in a few weeks/months what it has taken them years to complete -- and it runs on relatively antiquated hardware! At the very least, TealOS could give Palm some insight as to what Pre customers are going to want out of the WebOS interface when it finally gets released.

                    Here are some ideas on how to go forward: Release it as a free and/or open source project? Talk to the business development people at non-Sprint carriers to get them to put pressure on Palm to allow them to use TealOS on their existing PalmOS devices (letting Palm duke it out with someone their own size)?

                    I know how difficult it is to create a software product like this and it is a shame that all that good code is going to waste.

                    Well, the silver lining is that, based on all the extensive feedback on TealOS, there are probably going to be many of the same issues when Palm releases the Pre, so there will be an opportunity for you to add similar customizations to the WebOS interface. Based on your track record of customer responsiveness vs. Palm's, I think you will be far out ahead of them.

                    Thanks for all your hard work on TealOS.

                    -Tom

[...]

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        mailto:tealtalk-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        mailto:tealtalk-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • vasekvi
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                      I have to sat that I am not too surprised at Palm's decision to do this. Just yesterday I was wondering how refreshing and new WebOS would be when i finally get my hands on a Pre. But because of the excellent work Tealpoint has done with this program, Palm made one more sale. I upraded my Treo 650 to a Centro because of how nice TealOS is.

                      I am not going to switch to Sprint to get a Pre, but as soon as an unlocked GSM version becomes available, I will be sure to get my hands on one. There have been sightings in Europe of a Pre with a Vodafone SIM card.

                      Tex, I hope you continue to do the excellent work you hve been doing, and that you will develop apps for the new WebOS. Hopefully a Palm OS emulator will be on the list of available apps.

                      LAST MINUTE FEATURE REQUESTS!

                      1. Change the new voicemail icon to look like a tape instead of an envelope.

                      2. Allow users to choose where they would like to place the icons on the title bar.

                      3. Allow support for a new MMS or new Email icon. (use the envelope)

                      4. Allow users to choose not to wrap cards when one end is reached. i hate it when i reach the last card and then it goes back to card 1.

                      5. Let TealOS allow the user to choose to remain in whatever application they were in after they accept or reject an incoming phone call.

                      Let me know where to send the Red Bull! I know it is going to be a long weekend!

                      --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@...> wrote:

                      > Hi folks.
                      >
                      > I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.
                      >
                      > We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.
                      >
                      > For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > -tex

                    • vasekvi
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                        I am willing to sign any petition that Palm cancel their request for Tealpoint to cease development and distribution of TealOS. Who is ready to start one?

                        --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@...> wrote:

                        > Hi folks.
                        >
                        > I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.
                        >
                        > We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.
                        >
                        > For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > -tex

                      • enotar
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                          I was anticipating this!
                          TOO BAD!!
                          Maybe you can use some TealOs stuff for TealDesktop?

                          --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > Hi folks.
                          >
                          > I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.
                          >
                          > We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.
                          >
                          > For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > -tex

                        • zoompooky
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                            Tex,

                            Any chance at removing the registration requirement before it goes away?

                            Thanks!

                            --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > Hi folks.
                            >
                            > I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.
                            >
                            > We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.
                            >
                            > For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > -tex

                          • vasekvi
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                              Don't do it Tex. you deserve for us to pay to register this great app.

                              Vasek

                              --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "zoompooky" <zoompooky@...> wrote:

                              > Tex,
                              >
                              > Any chance at removing the registration requirement before it goes away?
                              >
                              > Thanks!
                              >
                              > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi folks.
                              > >
                              > > I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.
                              > >
                              > > We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.
                              > >
                              > > For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks,
                              > >
                              > > -tex

                            • zoompooky
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                Well they have two choices:

                                Keep the registration in there, and the only people that will ever use it are the folks that have heard about and purchased it up to now.

                                Or, remove the registration and as long as there are Palm OS devices that can run it you can bet it'll be alive on various mirrors.

                                See, while they deserve to get paid - they can't legally do so as of 3 days from now.

                                Just my 2 cents.

                                --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "vasekvi" <vasekvi@...> wrote:

                                > Don't do it Tex. you deserve for us to pay to register this great app.
                                >
                                > Vasek
                                >
                                > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "zoompooky" <zoompooky@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Tex,
                                > >
                                > > Any chance at removing the registration requirement before it goes away?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks!
                                > >
                                > > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hi folks.
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.
                                > > >
                                > > > We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.
                                > > >
                                > > > For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks,
                                > > >
                                > > > -tex

                              • zoompooky
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                  PS:

                                  Given that I had never heard of Tealpoint Software before TealOS, maybe the additional word of mouth advertising they'd get would be worth foregoing the half dozen registrations that would be purchased before Monday.

                                  I don't know about you, but I for one don't usually purchase a product that's been discontinued and will no longer be supported.

                                  --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "zoompooky" <zoompooky@...> wrote:

                                  > Well they have two choices:
                                  >
                                  > Keep the registration in there, and the only people that will ever use it are the folks that have heard about and purchased it up to now.
                                  >
                                  > Or, remove the registration and as long as there are Palm OS devices that can run it you can bet it'll be alive on various mirrors.
                                  >
                                  > See, while they deserve to get paid - they can't legally do so as of 3 days from now.
                                  >
                                  > Just my 2 cents.
                                  >
                                  > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "vasekvi" <vasekvi@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Don't do it Tex. you deserve for us to pay to register this great app.
                                  > >
                                  > > Vasek
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "zoompooky" <zoompooky@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Tex,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Any chance at removing the registration requirement before it goes away?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Thanks!

                                • vasekvi
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                    Uh huh,

                                    And what incentive will we have to buy if we know it will be free and unlocked in 3 days? Anyone who wants TealOS needs to buy it now.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                      There'a already no incentive to purchase it. As of 3 days from now it's officially abandonware.

                                      It didn't really meet my needs enough to purchase anyway, I'm only suggesting that they'd be better served overall by getting their name out there to more people and for a longer period of time by removing the registration.

                                      --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "vasekvi" <vasekvi@...> wrote:

                                      > Uh huh,
                                      >
                                      > And what incentive will we have to buy if we know it will be free and unlocked in 3 days? Anyone who wants TealOS needs to buy it now.
                                      >
                                      > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "zoompooky" <zoompooky@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Well they have two choices:
                                      > >
                                      > > Keep the registration in there, and the only people that will ever use it are the folks that have heard about and purchased it up to now.
                                      > >
                                      > > Or, remove the registration and as long as there are Palm OS devices that can run it you can bet it'll be alive on various mirrors.

                                    • chris o
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                        It's a very promising app, but I'm one who has the battery consumption problem + no support makes me nervous with a "mission critical" device such as my TX.

                                        Where can I find uninstall instructions? I cannot find anything on the TX that speaks to that.

                                        Palm needs a case of sour grapes shipped to them with our thanks!

                                        Chris
                                      • Guilherme Baesso Moreira
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                          I just bought it.
                                          Even if it goes free sometime, they're worth the support.

                                          Regards!
                                          GB

                                          Subj: [tealtalk] Re: IMPORTANT - TealOS Last Call
                                          Date: Fri 27 Mar 2009 14:43
                                          Size: 1K
                                          To: tealtalk@yahoogroups.com

                                          Tex,

                                          Any chance at removing the registration requirement before it goes away?

                                          Thanks!

                                          --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi folks.
                                          >
                                          > I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request, as of this upcoming Monday, March 30, we will no longer be selling or distributing TealOS.
                                          >
                                          > We really appreciate the help and unprecedented enthusiasm so many of you have shown for this product. It's been a long time since we experienced this kind of customer cooperation, and the program's success came at a badly needed time. We wish we could continue contributing to this great community.
                                          >
                                          > For those of you who have already purchased the product, your copies will continue to function, of course, but we encourage you to download the latest beta copies to insure you have a stable version you are happy with and back it up to a safe place, as you'll no longer be able to download it after Monday. We'll continue through the weekend to try to get as many bug fixes and requested improvements in as we can before then.
                                          >
                                          > Thanks,
                                          >
                                          > -tex

                                        • tealtex
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                            > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "zoompooky" <zoompooky@> wrote:
                                            > > Or, remove the registration and as long as there are Palm OS devices that can run it you can bet it'll be alive on various mirrors.

                                            Sorry. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be beneficial for us to do anything to encourage unofficial distribution of the TealOS either.

                                            As far as it being unsupported, the best we can do is make it really solid right now before the deadline. Anything that works today will continue to work in the foreseeable future. Updates are often mainly needed just to keep up with new hardware/firmware releases. While TealOS won't get any new features, Palm isn't releasing any new PalmOS devices and not a lot of new software is coming out for PalmOS these days, so TealOS should still stay useful for anyone who has a stable device and configuration they're happy with.

                                            Of course, I'm still using Office 2000, so I tend to have more of a the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" perspective ;)

                                            -tex
                                          • sirhpmuh
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                              --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, tealtex <no_reply@...> wrote:

                                              >I'm sorry to say that at Palm's request,
                                              >as of this upcoming Monday, March 30,
                                              >we will no longer be selling or distributing
                                              >TealOS.

                                              Thank you for a great piece of classic Palm software. Following the development recently has been ... well ... kind of exciting!

                                              PH, Scotland, UK
                                            • Peter Bulthuis
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                                It's such a shame that developing of TealOS has to stop... But you could a
                                                little bit count on that. That this would happen sooner or later.
                                                But, how about Tealpoint. Will it develop new apps for WebOS in the near
                                                future?

                                                Peter
                                              • Tom Ryan
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                                  I've been thinking about this quite a bit and wanted to give you a little food for thought. Having been heavily involved in software licensing with major software and hardware companies in the past, I am quite familar with the issues you are facing. Here are some things to consider:

                                                  1. Have they told you exactly how they think TealOS infringes upon their IP?
                                                  Many times corporate lawyers will send out "cease and desist" letter generally stating that your product infringes on thier IP without really calling out where they think it does. They do this for a reason. They want to scare you out of further development and distribution of your product.  If this is the case, I would ask them specifically where they feel you are infringing and then get yourself a good IP attorney to review their claims. It may be as simple as ceasing your claim of being "WebOS-like" or mentioning the Pre in your marketing materials. I have personally seen a similar case where one Palm developer ceased development on a product and all they really needed to do was to rename the product so that it didn't infringe on the other corporation's trademark and they would have been just fine. Of course, the lawyers for the other company didn't tell them that because they wanted them to stop development altogether -- and it worked.

                                                  2. Don't assume that the revenue potential for TealOS isn't worth a little legal wrangling.
                                                  Once the Pre is released, there is going to be a lot of demand for that cool phone, including among non-Sprint carriers/end users. In addition to end users sales you will get from those looking for a better user experience, you could also approach those other carriers and offer to bundle TealOS on their Centro and Treo phones so that they can offer something that works like the Pre. In fact, some of those vendors might take you under their wing legally and tell Palm to take a hike. If you don't already have a high profile legal firm represeting you on this, let me know and I can give you some references; it doesn't cost that much to get a little advice and have them send a strong response letter back to Palm.

                                                  I hope some of this helps.

                                                  -Tom

                                                • Paul Hagstrom
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                                    Very sad to see this happen, but also very impressed with you folks at
                                                    TealPoint actually trying to push forward all the way to the bitter
                                                    end. Thank you very much for doing that. I certainly do not intend
                                                    to stop using TealOS anytime soon.

                                                    One question I had about this (re: another comment about what exactly
                                                    the infringing elements are): not being very familiar with WebOS
                                                    myself, which parts of this are TealPoint innovations? Because, to be
                                                    honest, it's not the card interface that I like so much (though it's
                                                    nice of course) -- it's the Wave Launcher. I had been under the
                                                    impression that this was TealPoint's invention -- and even having
                                                    bought TealOS in that narrow window we had, I'd re-register for a
                                                    standalone Wave Launcher-only application. If this interface element
                                                    did not come from previews of WebOS, wouldn't it be possible to
                                                    extract that separately? I could understand that it might cause
                                                    undesirable friction with Palm, but I also don't see what claim they'd
                                                    have over TealPoint innovations.

                                                    Thanks for all your development efforts, you pulled together a very
                                                    impressive application in a really short time.

                                                    -Paul

                                                  • Tom Ryan
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Mar 27, 2009
                                                      I almost forgot to mention the most potent weapon of all to use against marauding lawyers: PUBLICITY!

                                                      Everyone reading this list that wants to see TealOS live, please email your favorite publication (including all the ones that covered the Pre announcement) and tell them:

                                                      "Palm thought this software product called TealOS from a little company called TealPoint (www.tealpoint.com) was so threatening to it's forthcoming flagship product, the Pre, that it has told TealPoint to cease and desist development and distribution of the product on or before Monday, March 30, 2009."

                                                      The press just loves to tell those David vs. Goliath stories.

                                                      Let's get some daylight on this issue and put some outside pressure on Palm to live and let live!

                                                      -Tom
                                                    • rlosoriano
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Mar 28, 2009
                                                        Hey guys,

                                                        This is indeed sad sad news. Again, allow me to commend everyone on the development team as well as this group for delivering and improving on such an excellent product that breathes new life into an old operating system.

                                                        With this, I'm actually surprised that Palm waited this long considering the fact that WebOS/Pre is their "baby." Hell, it's practically the only thing that can save Palm inc at this point. So, I can't say I blame them for taking the steps to "remove" anything that might steal their thunder. It's just sad that it had to happen to TealOS - a product I've watched grow in a matter of weeks into one of the best if not THE best launcher for Garnet.

                                                        I had about 5 days left before my trial period expired and I wanted to wait until then to purchase, knowing that even then there would be tons of updates. Well, with this news, I have just purchased TealOS, I downloaded 1.35 as well as 1.45 just in case. But, I'm currently using 1.42, which I already think is excellent. Hopefully, 1.46+ will be out soon.

                                                        Anyway best of luck to the development team! I hope this won't stop you from continuing to make excellent products because the Teal team is by far, the most customer oriented group out there. With other developers, you have to wait a long time before improvements come IF ever they do come.

                                                        So, farewell and thanks for listening!

                                                        Rob
                                                      • tealtex
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Mar 28, 2009
                                                          Hello.

                                                          Thanks for the kind thoughts, and yes, we did think of that. No, they refused to cite any specific examples, and yes we might have been able to spar with them a little more on this, but we decided that going forward that this is not the type of relationship we wanted to have with Palm.

                                                          -tex

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Mar 28, 2009
                                                            Hi.

                                                            Don't expect to see anything on PalmOS from us that has anything resembling cards, waves, or the slidey bouncy thing that Palm borrowed from Apple.

                                                            That being said, we're never sitting still, and this whole experience has got us thinking about what you all really liked about TealOS, and how Palm's card interface is really not the best solution for launching apps under PalmOS.

                                                            With that in mind, we have an idea for a new application that bears no resemblance to webOS whatsoever but instead comes from your input about what you DIDN'T like about the limitations that came from trying to emulate the webOS UI including:

                                                            * Shuffling cards is too cumbersome a way to navigate a history list
                                                            * Animations are pretty, but too slow
                                                            * Wave launcher idea is nice doesn't support enough apps
                                                            * Wave launcher idea is nice doesn't support 5-way nav
                                                            * Finger swipes are awkward on a resistive touch screen

                                                            Stay tuned, of course, but feel free to give your input as the ideas are gelling in our heads.

                                                            -tex

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Mar 28, 2009
                                                              For how long will the ever last beta of TealOS be available? Just for a few
                                                              hours or minutes Sunday late?

                                                              Peter
                                                            • Tom Ryan
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Mar 29, 2009
                                                                Hi Tex,

                                                                I kinda figured you had considered these issues, but I just wanted to make sure that you were exploring every option. I can understand that you don't want to die on this hill in your relationship with Palm. I'm sure you will come up with some cool software for WebOS.

                                                                Thanks for developing this great product....

                                                                -Tom