User ID

  • George Fragos
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2006
      For various reasons I have to install software on mt new Tungsten E2
      from an SD card. My problem is that since I can't sync, I can't set
      the user ID. I currently own a number of Teal products and wish to
      purchase Tealbackup. Without a user ID set, I can't register any of
      the software. I found one ap vtool which says it changes the User ID
      but it doesn't work and may even corrupt the Palm resulting in crashes
      and the necessity to hard reset. Is there anything that can help me
      set the User ID?
    • Thomas, www.handyshopper.de
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
        Hi George,

        try "Palmname" ( http://www.tucows.com/preview/33345 ).
        It's an old piece of software, but perhaps it does what you want.

        Best regards,
        Thomas.

        --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "George Fragos" <fragos@...> wrote:

        > For various reasons I have to install software on mt new Tungsten E2
        > from an SD card. My problem is that since I can't sync, I can't set
        > the user ID. I currently own a number of Teal products and wish to
        > purchase Tealbackup. Without a user ID set, I can't register any of
        > the software. I found one ap vtool which says it changes the User ID
        > but it doesn't work and may even corrupt the Palm resulting in crashes
        > and the necessity to hard reset. Is there anything that can help me
        > set the User ID?

      • Alan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
          ---
          Check this out:
          http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/nametool.shtml
          alan

        • Thomas, www.handyshopper.de
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
            Sorry, Alan.
            But this IS vtool which doesn't work on Geoges machine ...

            Thomas.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
              Thanks for the tip on palmname. It did place a name "George Fragos"
              in the Palm but its one character off, "eorge Fragos" is what the Palm
              thinks is the name. I can't imagine what the lost "G" might screw up
              but so far, no harm done. Given a little time, perhaps I can make
              this work. -- George

              --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas, www.handyshopper.de"
              <th_zimmer_de@...> wrote:

              > Hi George,
              >
              > try "Palmname" ( http://www.tucows.com/preview/33345 ).
              > It's an old piece of software, but perhaps it does what you want.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Thomas.
              >
              > --- In tealtalk@yahoogroups.com, "George Fragos" <fragos@> wrote:
              > >
              > > For various reasons I have to install software on mt new Tungsten E2
              > > from an SD card. My problem is that since I can't sync, I can't set
              > > the user ID. I currently own a number of Teal products and wish to
              > > purchase Tealbackup. Without a user ID set, I can't register any of
              > > the software. I found one ap vtool which says it changes the User ID
              > > but it doesn't work and may even corrupt the Palm resulting in crashes
              > > and the necessity to hard reset. Is there anything that can help me
              > > set the User ID?

            • Alan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
                ---
                Sorry, I saw it was just updated and thought...maybe...
                Oh Well
                alan

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
                  I tried a little experiment with Palmname which turned "George Fragos"
                  into "orge Fragos". I tried "--George Fragos" which gave me the
                  desired result and I was able to re-register all my Tealpoint software
                  in a new Palm E2. Lord only knows where what field the "--" went into
                  but I've not as yet seen any symptoms of doom. My gues is that "--"
                  wend into the ID number field where I don't think it will cause me any
                  problems.

                  Thanks -- George