03.08.12 : Purpose Of Life | Sam & Sara @ Evergreen Bookshop | Why Are There Immeasurable Buddhas And Not One? | Be A Beginner Bodhisattva

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2012
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Purpose Of Life

      The purpose of life
      is to find it,
      live it,
      and share it.

      Stonepeace

      - Comment | More

       Get The Amazing & Amusing Adventures Of Sam & Sara!
       Realisation: Why Are There Immeasurable Buddhas And Not One?

      Although there are immeasurable Buddhas,
      there is only one goal of Buddhahood attained
      by them, and one complete Dharma based on Bodhicitta realised.

      Stonepeace

      A young student in a Dharma class asked me three interesting questions… [1] Why are there so many Buddhas and Bodhisattvas? (She was probably confused by their many identities and related teachings?) [2]Why is there not just one fully enlightened being? (She probably felt this would make learning Buddhism easier?) [3] Is there any difference between mindfulness of one Buddha or Bodhisattva versus another? (She probably wanted to streamline her mindfulness practice?) Here are my answers… [1] It is perfectly natural that there are immeasurable Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. As Buddhahood is the result of perfecting the Bodhisattva path of perfecting compassion and wisdom, and since there are countless beings in innumerable worlds who aspire to walk this noblest of paths in the past, present and future, there are of course many Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. That there are many of them is actually very inspiring and encouraging good news, because this reminds us that we too can become like them. The historical Shakyamuni Buddha also predicted the eventual Buddhahood of many of his disciples.

      [2] Because there is only one state of complete and unsurpassed enlightenment, what every fully enlightened being realised is exactly the same. In this sense, they become one with the universal 'body of truth' that pervades all time and space. This form of their existence is called the Dharmakaya. Seen from this perspective, there is indeed only one common collective 'pool' with the essence of perfect enlightened compassion and wisdom. The question might still remain, as to why the fully enlightened ones do not thereafter simply present themselves as one for our 'convenience'. As the Dharmakaya is as if a dynamic ever-expanding collective, it is important that there are many individual beings presented in the Buddhist teachings, who are or become part of it. This reminds us to emulate their example, to align more deeply with our Buddha-nature. Despite being of the Dharmakaya, Buddhas continue to retain their individual identities to skilfully manifest to beings with specific karmic affinities, to effectively guide more with the Dharma.

      In fact, ancient Buddhas even re-manifest as Bodhisattvas out of endless compassion to guide beings still in suffering, and to exemplify the path to Buddhahood. Guanyin Bodhisattva is one of them, who already attained Buddhahood many kalpas ago. How very moving! As in her case, Bodhisattvas can, also out of great compassion, choose to more strongly personify certain virtues, so that, for ease of focus, we can see them as shining perfect examples of the qualities we aspire to cultivate. For example, Guanyin Bodhisattva represents the perfect compassion of all Buddhas, which is possible since she is already a Buddha, one with the collective compassion of all Buddhas in the Dharmakaya. Since she is a Buddha, she is of course not lacking in other virtues such as wisdom. Likewise, all other great Bodhisattvas, even if they personify some virtues less, do not lack them. [3] Wholehearted mindfulness of any one Buddha or perfect Bodhisattva we feel the greatest affinity to thus connects us to the Dharmakya's collective compassion and wisdom without difference, aligning us to the one same goal of Buddhahood, as according to our spiritual aspirations.

      As we are scatter-minded, even in mindfulness of Buddhas,
      out of compassion, Shakyamuni Buddha taught the most
      about mindfulness of Amitabha Buddha (Amituofo),
      so as to rein in our wandering minds.

      Stonepeace

      Related Course:
      Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (10th Run)
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2012/06/course-understanding-amituofo-via-the-amitabha-sutra-10th-run

      Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
        Read More in TDE Books

      Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: Be A Beginner Bodhisattva

      Always here and now,
      Always new and fresh,
      Always aware and alive.

      Stonepeace

      For a bodhisattva, the safest course is to constantly remind oneself of the initial aspiration to bodhi-mind [Bodhicitta: aspiration to guide one and all to Buddhahood]. In this way, we will always think of ourselves as beginners, remain humble, and not feel pride or arrogance. Second, it reminds us that bodhi-mind is the mind of helping others while on the path to wisdom. So although we continue to diligently practice and move forward, in our minds we are always at square one, constantly generating this beginner's mind.

      A student of mine says that at the end of a retreat, he feels like he has learned to practice for the first time. This is beginner's mind. He never thinks of himself as a 'senior' practitioner. Having a beginner's mind, you will not feel discouraged on the path, since it will always be something new. Those of us who have been practicing for years should realize and admit that we are still just beginning.

      Great bodhisattvas do not think they have anything specific to accomplish. They do not have the idea that they must help sentient beings; rather, they naturally respond to others, whose needs provide them with the opportunity to practice. Far from expecting gratitude, they are grateful to others. This is not humility; it is just the bodhisattva' s compassionate interaction with other beings…

      Comment More
      There Is No Suffering: A Commentary On The Heart Sutra
      Chan Master Sheng-Yen
       Links

      Sam & Sara

      Book Launched!
      Book @ Evergreen Buddhist Bookshop

      #361: Who's Afraid of Who?
      #362: Praise Vs Blame
      #363: Paradox of Predictability
      #364: How's Your Brand?
      #365: Table Manners
      #366: Dream Dialogue

      Share Articles: tde@...

       Events
      View or subscribe http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dharmanews/messages for faster & latest news
      Talks & Classes | Special Events

      New TDE ReleaseThe Amazing & Amusing Adventures of Sam & Sara(The Zen of All Kinds of Stuff) Now @ Evergreen
      KMS: 1/9-3/11: (10th Run) Introduction to Pure Land Buddhism: Understanding Amituofo Via the Amitabha Sutra
      AP: 28/8-30/10:
      Project Rebirth (Rediscover, Reflect, Recharge) Round 5

       TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by
       contributing news, articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change of emails,
       contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The  information within the articles need not represent TDE's views.The copyrights of the articles belong
       to the authors.