To Be Happy | Heartbreak Kid | Measure of Your Compassion & Wisdom | Emptiness Does Not Mean Nothingness

  • NamoAmituofo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2008
      TheDailyEnlightenment.com Weekly 15.02.08

      Get this newsletterTDE-Weekly Archive
      Click here if you do not see pictures below

      Quote:

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/70.gif

      Why be angry if no one wants you angry?
      To punish yourself by being angry is foolish.

      Why be angry if someone wants you angry?
      To please another by being angry is foolish.

      - stonepeace

      GreenTip:
      Get less; exchange more

      Links:

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/569.jpg

      InVibes:
      Prayer: Compassionate Advice
      Music Video: Happiness is...

      Movies:
      Why "CJ7" Shouldn't be Alien
      Love Advice for "The Heartbreak Kid"
      Gender Equality of "North Country"?
      Clarifying Murky "Skarkwater" | Power of Minority

      Misc:
      Life's Surprises
      Blame Karma?
      Why Be Patient?
      Prayer for the Sick
      Bell of Mindfulness
      Delusion of Identity
      Cult of Personality?
      If It's Worth the Wait
      Freeway to Freedom
      Explorers of Samsara
      Middle Path of Discipline
      Is Attaining Buddhahood Difficult?

      More Reflections

      Realisation:
      The Measure of Your Compassion & Wisdom

      http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/71.gif

      Compassion without wisdom is unskilful as it can harm.
      Wisdom without compassion is unskilful as it cannot help.
      Only compassion with wisdom is skilful.
       - stonepeace

      In the Bodhisattva practice of benefitting as many as possible, thus needing to use a wide variety of ways, "Upaya" (short here for "upāya kauśalya") is used - which refers to "skill in means", "skilful (expedient) means" or "tactfulness". The definition of the "skilful" refers to that which is wholesome, which leads (be it directly or indirectly) to purification of the mind - in other words, Nirvana or True Happiness. Upaya, though hard to pinpoint, is one of the most colourful and inspiring aspects of Buddhism, for it is the combined embodiment of compassion and wisdom in action.

      One of the main reasons why we are fascinated by stories of the Buddha's interaction with the unenlightened is how he manages to skilfully use conditions present in the contexts of his audiences to share the truth. A masterful teacher, he is able to highlight the most subtle Dharma through the simplest of analogies and such. The strength of one's Upaya is directly equivalent to the quality and quantity of one's compassion and wisdom, which form the twin interdependent peaks of all other virtues. Thus, all Buddhas have perfect Upaya.

      Emulating the enlightened, Buddhists practise the Dharma to perfect Upaya, by increasing compassion and wisdom. Upaya, which is "spiritual creativity" in outreach, is the expression of the Dharma with compassion and wisdom, beyond preachy ways. The best Upaya is often the least obvious! As long as there is Upaya, there will be endless ways to share the Dharma. When Upaya seems short, it implies the inadequacy of compassion and wisdom! First things first - you can't "market" the Dharma well if you do not practise what you preach!

      - Shen Shi'an

      Share the Dharma that others lack, but practise the Dharma you lack too. - stonepeace

      Share your articles and comments at
      comment@thedailyenlightenment .com
      Review: Response (1) | (2) to "What Keep Us From Greatness?"
      More Realisation Articles

      Excerpt:
      Emptiness Does Not Mean Nothingness

       http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/pics/568.jpg It is not that phenomena are illusions; rather, they are like illusions. - HHDL

      There is no question that persons and things exist; the question is how, or in what manner, they exist. [Interdependently; not independently.] When we consider a flower, for instance, and think, "This flower has a nice shape, nice color, and nice texture," it seems as if there is something concrete that possesses these qualities of shape, color and texture. When we look into these qualities, as well as the parts of the flower, they seem to be qualities or parts of the flower, such as the color of the flower, the shape of the flower, the stem of the flower, and the petals of the flower - as if there is a flower that possesses these qualities or parts.

      However, if the flower really exists the way it appears, we should be able to come up with something separate from all of these qualities and parts that is the flower. But we cannot. Such as flower is not found upon analysis, or through other scientific tools, even though previously it seemed so substantial, so findable. Because a flower has effects, it certainly exists, but when we search to find a flower existing in accordance with our ideas about it, that is not at all findable. [Emptiness refers to phenomena being empty of fixed qualities.]

      - How to See Yourself As You Really Are (His Holiness the Dalai Lama) p.63.4
        More Excerpt Articles | Get it at www.AwarenessPlace.com

      To subscribe to the above, email tde-intl-subscribe @yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing news and articles, and by encouraging friends to join. Contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at comment<at>TheDailyEnlightenment.com The information within the articles need not represent TDE-Weekly's views. The copyright of the articles belong to the authors.