42423.08.14: Rid Your Regrets | Are Eyes Windows To The 'Soul'? | What Kind Of Pot Are You? | Should I Dedicate Merits To Myself First? | The Mindfulness Factor : How To Be Mindful Of Buddha Purely

  • NamoAmituofo
    Aug 22, 2014
      The Daily Enlightenment
      Quote: Rid Your Regrets

      The older you get,
      the less regrets you should have,
      because the less time you have,
      to rid these regrets.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books
      – Comment | More |

      Feature: Are Your Eyes Windows To Your 'Soul'?
      How we see others usually
      reflects ourselves to some extent,
      even if we do not see this to any extent.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      Are eyes the windows to the 'soul'? Perhaps, but only to some extent. You see (pun intended)… even if someone else's eyes do reveal their true nature, they are seen with our own eyes, which can play tricks on us, when we do not really see what we think we are seeing. Even when we are seeing accurately, there can be misinterpretation of what is seen… What do narrowed eyes mean? Could it be shyness, scorn or…? What do widened eyes mean? Could it be surprise, rage or…? What do downcast eyes mean? Could it be evasiveness, tiredness or…? And do we know how others' eyes are naturally like, before they are further narrowed or widened and such? Could what we see be nothing personal towards us?

      And what 'soul' are we trying to peer at, when we keep changing, from moment or moment, both the perceivers and perceived? If only it is so easy to tell by one mere look, our eyes looking at others' eyes would tell us exactly who they are, what they are thinking and feeling, with no room for misunderstanding or tension. But alas, we are more complex that the momentary glint in the angle of our shifting eyes. We are brought up since young, to never unfairly judge by appearances. Yet, we are often poor 'souls', instinctively but mistakenly trying to fathom one another superficially, by a glance or two, as if we have no other choice, as if we have forgotten that true understanding comes from deep and sincere dialogue.

      And what about the blind and disfigured, who have no clear 'windows' for us to peer into (and to peer with)? Beyond mere conversation then, the truest way to know another is not by what we see or hear for a short while, but by the deeds and words expressed over time. With ample interaction and observation, we will know one another well. As the saying goes, 'With the road far trodden, known is a horse's strength. With the days long, seen is a person's heart.' (路遥知马力,日久见人心) If so, may we not jump to conclusions by speculating how others are. As we are seldom aligned to reality in its totality, we naturally malign others in our minds to some extent. Why not open our hearts and minds, to be fair to one and all, to realise the true value of everyone? This is the way to really see.

      The sincere path to realisation
      of universal truths requires
      sincere truthfulness to the universe.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      Related Articles:
      Hey! It’s Nothing Personal!
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2011/02/hey-its-nothing-personal
      What is You, Yours or Your ‘Self’?
      http://thedailyenlightenment.com/2009/07/what-is-you-yours-or-your-self

      – Shen Shi'an | Comment | More |
         Read More in TDE Books | Get TDE Book 6

      Share Articles: tde@...
      Excerpt: What Kind Of Pot Are You?
      May we receive the good and pure.
      May we not reject the good and pure.
      May we not defile the good and pure.
      May we become the good and pure.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      When we listen to the sublime teachings of the Buddha, the Lamrim Chenmo said that we could be like any of the four pots… A pot with a hole cannot keep anything inside. In the same way we should not listen to the teaching with a mind that does not hold them – if the nectar of Dharma is poured in and nothing remains in our mind…

      An upside-down pot is like one who is physically present during the Dharma talk but mentally somewhere else. Whatever good teachings he hears is not sustained in his mind. A dirty pot is, for example, like one listening to the Dharma with a selfish motivation and wishing to achieve happiness for oneself alone.

      We should, therefore, be like the pot that is upright whenever we listen to the Dharma. In this way, whatever we hear is retained and the mind is not polluted with negative and selfish thoughts.

      – Comment | More

      Practicing The Path
      Yangsi Rinpoche

      Letter: Should I Dedicate Merits To Myself First?

      Question: Having contributed to a charity, a friend advised that I should make a personal wish before dedicating merits from the act to all beings. But I have also heard that dedication should be to all first. Which is more appropriate?

      Answer: Actually, the dedication of merits to all is also the making of a ‘personal’ wish, or rather, the expression of an aspiration. It is however a noble and broad personal wish, which bears all beings’ welfare in mind, towards alleviation of their suffering, and for their progress to Buddhahood.(Technically, oneself is already one of ‘all beings’.) For any lesser personal wishes, they should come after. This is to cultivate equanimous generosity and compassion, and to overcome small-mindedness. (Paradoxically, this creates some more merits for further dedication!) Of course, any personal wishes should never go against the welfare of all beings.

      Question: If I wish for a job, but since it would also mean someone else not getting the job, is this against the welfare of another?

      Answer: Perhaps it would be better to contemplate this way… ‘In this job, may I do my best for the welfare of all beings, even for those who might need this job. May I do even better than them, so as to thoroughly deserve this job.’

      Question: I see what you mean. However, is it not grey, whether a job works for or against the welfare of others?

      Answer: The job should be a Right Livelihood, that does not involve harming or killing of sentient beings. Versus another person who might not have as altruistic an intention for a similar post that is of Right Livelihood, it is working with the intention to help all, be it directly or indirectly, that makes a difference.

      – Shen Shi'an | Comment | More

      Moonpointer

      Wandering Thoughts

      66: Thoughts | 65: Kalyanamittata | 64: Goodness | 63: Carpe Diem |
      62: Disappointment | 61: Kindness | 60: Kind | 59: Truth | 58: Best |
      57: Action
       | 56: Beauty

      Stonepeace | Reviews
       Share Articles: tde@...

      Events & Notices
      Bookmark http://thedailyenlightenment.com/category/06 for faster news

      TPBC: From 4/10 (8 Sat): Project Precepts: How To Avoid Evil & Do Good
      TPBC: From 22/9 (10 Mon): Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (14th Run)
      TPBC: From 9/10 (8 Thu): The Mindfulness Factor : How To Be Mindful Of Buddha Purely (Run 2)
      TPBC: From 23/9 (8 Tue): The 48 Great Vows of Amituofo (2nd Module, 4th Run)

      SG: 23–24/8 Teachings By Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche 讲座: 桑杰年巴仁波切

      To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change (and cancellation) of emails, contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The information within the articles need not represent TDE's views. The copyrights of the articles belong to the authors.