41223.03.14 : Conscience | Transform Lazy Excuses With Diligent Motivations | Do Pure Land Aspirants Renounce Here? | Lemon

  • NamoAmituofo
    Mar 22, 2014
      The Daily Enlightenment
       Quote: Conscience

      In moral arguments,
      true victory is when
      you win the rediscovery
      of your conscience.

      In moral arguments,
      true defeat is when
      you defend the loss
      of your conscience.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      – Comment | More

        TDE Store Is Open
       Feature: Transform Lazy Excuses With Diligent Motivations

      Being spiritually lazy
      is the easiest way
      to accumulate regrets.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      In the Kusita-Arambhavatthu Sutta, the Buddha listed eight possible grounds for [a] laziness, followed by corresponding ones for the [b] arousal of energy. Although they were spoken for monastics, they equally apply to laity, who might find similar excuses to procrastinate regular spiritual practices such as learning, chanting, meditation and doing of charitable deeds. 'Work' below can refer to all kinds of minor and major tasks, such as our day jobs, errands or even housework, while 'journey' can refer to our almost daily commute to and from work. On 'food', even if not consuming alms mentioned, we might 'undereat' or overeat too. As paraphrased, here are the various grounds…

      [1] One thinks [a] 'As my body will be tired after work,
      why don't I lie down now?'
      One thus doesn't make effort for practice.
      Another thinks instead,
      [b] 'As when working, it will not be easy to practise the Dharma,
      why don't I make effort to practise now?'

      One thus makes effort for practice.

      [2] One thinks, [a] 'As I have worked, and my body is tired,
      why don't I lie down now?'
      One thus doesn't make effort for practice.
      Another thinks instead,
      [b] 'As when working, I couldn't practise the Dharma,
      why don't I make effort to practise now?'

      One thus makes effort for practice.

      [3] One thinks, [a] 'As I have to journey, and my body will be tired later,
      why don't I lie down now?'
      One thus doesn't make effort for practice.
      Another thinks instead,
      [b] 'As I have to journey, it will not be easy to practise the Dharma,
      why don't I make effort to practise now?'

      One thus makes effort to do so.

      ... Continue here

      Being spiritually diligent
      is the easiest way
      to vanquish regrets.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      Related Articles:
      Remedies To Rid Drowsiness For Practice

      – Shen Shi'an | Comment | More
         Read More in TDE Books | Get TDE Book 6

       Share Articles: tde@...
       Excerpt: Do Pure Land Aspirants Renounce Here For There?

      While the formless heavens
      are truly unconducive for spiritual progress,
      the refined forms of Pure Land
      are truly conducive for spiritual progress.

      – Stonepeace | Get Books

      The Second Doubt: Doubt Renouncing Here And Seeking There

      Question: All dharmas are essentially emptiness, originally of non-birth, equal and still. Now then, to renounce here and seek there, for birth in the Western Pure Land of Amitā[bha] Buddha [Amituofo], how can this not contradict reason? Moreover, a Sūtra says, ‘If seeking Pure Land, first purify that mind. [With that] mind purified thus, is the Buddha Land purified.’ How is this to be understood?

      Answer: The explanation has two meanings. The first, is the general answer. The second, is the distinct answer. For the general answer, if you say, ‘Seeking birth in the Western Pure Land of Amitā[bha] Buddha [Amituofo], is thus to renounce here and seek there, which does not accord with reason’, you are attached to abiding here. Not seeking the West[ern Pure Land], is thus to renounce there, and be attached to here. This still becomes a sickness, which does not accord with reason.

      Moreover, after reconsideration, to say, ‘I neither seek birth there, nor seek birth here’, is thus the view of nihilism. Thus, the Vajra Prajñā Sūtra says, ‘Subhūti, if you give rise to this thought, that “those who aspire for Anut[tarā Samyak Saṃ]bodhi, speak of all dharmas as cessation of forms”, do not give rise to this thought. Why is this so?Those who give rise to Bodhicitta, when regarding dharmas, do not speak of [them as] cessation of forms.’ ... Continue here

      – Comment | More

       净土十疑论 The Treatise On Ten Doubts About Pure Land ('The Faith Factor')
       隋天台智者大师著 Written by Sui Dynasty’s Tiantai Tradition’s Great Master Zhizhe
       优婆塞沈时安英译 Translated to English by Upāsaka Shen Shi’an
       Links

      Stonepeace | Reviews

      Mix
      False Medium

      Movie
      Man Of Tai Chi

      Super Short Stories

      329: Depression
      328: Lemon
      327: Name
      326: Whistleblow

       Share Articles: tde@...

       Events & Notices
       Bookmark http://thedailyenlightenment.com/category/06 for faster news

      BUDC: 20-24/4 & 19/4: Ven. Heng Sure's Dharma Lectures & Youth Concert
      TPBC:
       3/3–5/5: Project Rebirth: Rediscover, Reflect, Recharge(Round 8)
      TPBC: 4/3–6/5: Understanding Amituofo Via The Amitabha Sutra (13th Run)
      TPBC: 6/3–15/5: The Heart of 'The Heart Sutra': The Core Of Wisdom (Run 8)
      Kham: Keep The Flame of Buddha-Dharma Burning Bright:
      Support Building Of Monastic Hostel At Palpung Monastery
      VSS: MRT Poster Campaign – The Time Has Come | FAQs | More

      To subscribe to the above, email thedailyenlightenment-subscribe@yahoogroups.com TDE-Weekly is a free independent Buddhist inspiration e-newsletter. You can support us by contributing articles, running costs and encouraging friends to join. Change (and cancellation) of emails, contributions, suggestions and queries are welcomed at tde@.... The information within the articles need not represent TDE's views. The copyrights of the articles belong to the authors.