Re: Persist Mode -- ** Standards bug ??

  • Matt Mathis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2001
      On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Charles Esson wrote:

      > I've not implemented a TCP stack that uses the scale option ( performance over
      > satellite links is not my problem), so I had not thought about this.
      >
      > I have now, and I can see your point.
      >
      > For the last 7 bytes the receiver is advertising a right window position past
      > it's actual right position.
      >
      > It would not be a problem if the window was calculated. n*scale - ( scale-1). I
      > would argue that if that isn't the formula for the window then 1323 has a
      > serious bug as it breaks some fundamentals.

      I beleive all implementation are careful to do the rounding such that they
      never announce space beyond the end of the buffer. Im my example the last
      non-zero receiver window announcement would be when there are exactly 8 bytes
      of space left (and the window field would have the value 1). Following the
      still 7 bytes of space left. Otherwise the receiver will announce space beyond
      the end of the buffer.

      Thanks,
      --MM--