Apology

  • Martin Lorang
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 1999
      Dear colleagues,

      please excuse that I forwarded twice end2end and tcp-impl e-mails back to the
      lists. As far as I could see, this error happened due to a misconfiguration of
      my mail client which is hopefully now solved.

      Sorry for any inconvenience.

      Kind regards,
      Martin

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2001
        To Whom It May Concern:

        I accidentally sent a job posting to this mailing list, it was
        unintentional.
        It will not happen again. Please accept my apology.

        Jeff
      • Jason Murphy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2001
          There's always one unhappy person. I don't understand why you just couldn't
          let it go Lloyd. People make mistakes. Looks like your parents made a very
          big one.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2001
            > From: Jason Murphy <Jason.Murphy@...>
            > To: "'Lloyd Wood'" <L.Wood@...>, JeffW@...
            > Cc: tcp-impl@...

            > There's always one unhappy person. I don't understand why you just couldn't
            > let it go Lloyd. People make mistakes. Looks like your parents made a very
            > big one.

            I've no idea whether Mr. Murphy is a spammer, but his words are the
            familiar combination apologia and flame of a spammer. In this century,
            no one who might reasonably claim to be a legitimate technical recruiter
            can also claim to not know that spam is an absolutely wrong way to contact
            people. It is years too late to spam hundreds of individuals and
            mailinglists and then claim it was just a mistake. If no mistakes are
            culpable, then we should empty our jails, since everyone there merely made
            mistakes, even if like this spammer, getting caught by hitting IETF lists
            at the same time as individuals.

            That more than 99.9% and often more than 99.99% of spam targets just hit
            delete is what allows such as this headhunter to continue advertising by
            theft. If a significant fraction of spam targets would respond to the
            supporters of spammer, the spam problem would disappear overnight, and
            not just the problem of such as this one that both scraped individual
            addresses and hit IETF mailing lists.

            Mr. Woods was at least half right. His note here served to warn those
            who did not also enjoy the spammer's individual attention. In addition
            to complaining here, Mr. Woods and all who received the spam should
            have checked traceroute to find the responsible ISP's, then with
            whois.abuse.net to find registered abuse addresses, and then written
            to abuse@..., abuse@..., hostmaster@...,
            postmaster@... to demand that U.S.West (QWest) terminate
            the sending account and that atomicservers.com and and internap.com
            terminate the wsijobs.com home of the spammer.

            That that the recruiter evidently still had its account/job to send its
            applogy to the mailing list strongly suggests that wsijobs.com is not
            an outfit that the prudent job seeker or firm with a job would want to
            deal with. Tolerating and perhaps ordering advertising by theft is not
            a good sign about other business ethics.

            Vernon Schryver vjs@...
          • Alan Cox
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2001
              > I've no idea whether Mr. Murphy is a spammer, but his words are the
              > familiar combination apologia and flame of a spammer. In this century,

              He sent copies to the list and to two of my addresses.

              > postmaster@... to demand that U.S.West (QWest) terminate
              > the sending account and that atomicservers.com and and internap.com
              > terminate the wsijobs.com home of the spammer.

              With recruiters its normally more interesting to get as far as finding out
              who he is recruiting for them complain to their management.