Quick question on delayed-ACKs and updating the congestion window.

  • Amr A. Awadallah
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 1998
      Hi,

      Just wondering what is the "correct" way of increasing the congestion
      window during congestion avoidance when delayed-ACKs are used, is it:

      (1) Increase cwnd by 1 segment once cwnd segments are ACKed,

      or

      (2) Increase cwnd by 1 segment once cwnd ACKs are received.

      They are both equivalent if delayed ACKs are not used. But if ACKs are
      for every other received packet, then (2) will increase cwnd at half the
      rate of one.

      Which is correct, (1) or (2) ?

      Thanks,

      -- Amr
    • Amr A Awadallah
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 9, 1998
        > > (1) Increase cwnd by 1 segment once cwnd segments are ACKed,
        > >
        > > or
        > >
        > > (2) Increase cwnd by 1 segment once cwnd ACKs are received.
        >
        > According to 2001.bis (we just submitted version -01, so it should
        > be in the archive soon), either of these are allowed. That is, the

        So which is more popular in current implementations ?

        Thanks in advance,

        -- Amr
      • Neal Cardwell
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 9, 1998
          > > > (1) Increase cwnd by 1 segment once cwnd segments are ACKed,
          > > >
          > > > or
          > > >
          > > > (2) Increase cwnd by 1 segment once cwnd ACKs are received.
          > >
          > > According to 2001.bis (we just submitted version -01, so it should
          > > be in the archive soon), either of these are allowed. That is, the
          >
          > So which is more popular in current implementations ?

          Linux (2.0,2.1), (Free)BSD and Win95/NT use approach (2), i believe.

          neal